Totem Force [Released!]

Thanks. Does it work now?

Yes, it does now. Thanks.

Just realized the Totems kinda remind me of Imagin from Kamen Rider Den-O, except thereā€™s no memory based time travel or wish granting.

Hey,I like the game so far! Itā€™s been interesting so far.
I think what might be interesting to add is when you successfully romance one of the two RO,maybe you could add in the option to have them as additional backup in your fights. You can add in a choice to tell them about your identity during dating and maybe that forms a new branch. For example,maybe the science girl could invent scientific equipment that serves as upgrades or handy gadgets to help in battles.(If you donā€™t chose to get upgrades in a different way.)Perhaps as a mission control?
Iā€™m not sure how the fighter boy RO could help out on battle asides from being an extra pair of fists. Iā€™ll need to think about more,but maybe he gets help in the form of high tech and/or magic gauntlets that helps with fighting these monsters. This is just something to think about.

Thanks. I certainly have plans for the potential ROs, butā€¦ youā€™ll have to wait and see :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

4 Likes

WOW! Nice game! I like your game!

The Power Rangers-series are good, Your game is better. And I am over 30 years. But the age is a number!

I call fusions! Kay and Mc fusing into an even more awesome fighter.

While that would be cool, that was literally Kamen Rider Doubles whole thing.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/1524614_o.gif

1 Like

Well itā€™s been done in a bunch of shows and other fictional works so why not have it here?

Gonna need to play this (Iā€™m the hugest kamen rider/sentai nerdā€¦)

3 Likes

Okay, I am officially in love with your dialog. Really sucked me in!! And I am such a dialogue snobā€¦

1 Like

Thanks, everyone.

Iā€™m not entirely sure how well fusions would work in my current plans, but Iā€™ll certainly think about it.

Firstly my overall impressions are good, it starts strong with, what I shall charitably call a homage, to common tropes regarding origin stories of the type. I must say I had a rollicking good time as I tried to be Kamen Rider but suspected that I was actually playing a Guyver and secretly feared that I was cast in Iczer instead.

As for bugs I did encounter an error when asking Kay to talk to the bird monster after the quarry. It is a ā€œbirdhurtā€ error of all things. Okay now onto commentary.

The Love Interests to me were adequate; the childhood friend does come across as an organic enough romance while the school crush is somewhat lacking since they both represent the same archetypes. They are both essentially a nerd/jock pair albeit of different genders. Also both pairs are effectively an anchor for normality in this new fantastic world that the MC has entered. I would suggest a (slightly) older ā€œoneesanā€/ā€œanikiā€ character as a love interest, someone already involved in the superhero business in some form or another. In the grand tradition of sentai, it could be a somewhat aloof and mysterious benefactor that appears to intervene when the heroes are getting their posteriors kicked.

I would like to see the MC develop some sort of special ability for their armour that complements their fighting style. That way each member of the team will have a unique battlefield role. Perhaps they come across as armour upgrades during certain stages of the story and each upgrade can be chosen multiple times. For example, the first one might be a boost to your strength, a more durable carapace, faster reaction time, improved weapons, etc. Choose the same upgrade multiple times and they stack into a unique upgrade. You might even make a few tongue in cheek references to famous characters in the achievements. For example maxing out the strength enhancement might be ā€œOne Punchā€, maxing out ranged weapons might be ā€œMagic Cannon Girlā€ and the claymore might be ā€œHundred Man Slayerā€.

I would like to agree with Gray in that the love interests of the church is a little lacking. I find myself going after the childhood friend more often than not. But the church rejecting the MC is a nice touch it gives them a sense of a challenge. But it might be best not to make a church love interest all together. Take a page out of Psy High the church love interest of that story was not really like. At least I didnā€™t like it I felt as the player that it was being forced on me. I would suggest it should be treated more like a rivalry that because something more as you but heads. But thatā€™s only me Iā€™ll still play this however it turns out. On a side note it would be good to have a older protective love interest.

The link is to a Psy High forum on love interest 22 and below is were we talk about it

As far as love interests go I can see my character developing a strong crush on Kayā€™s big bad, biker brother, who incidentally, if we follow the tropes, could eventually become the fourth man of our power trio.

Thanks, everyone.

@Gary Oops; that should have been birdWOUND (obviously).

Chi and Anara are more than just a jock/nerd pair, but they havenā€™t really had much story time to differentiate them that much (as Kay and Sammy have had). Hopefully theyā€™ll be more interesting later (if not, you donā€™t have to pursue them). I hadnā€™t thought about adding older love interests, but as you, @IceeCry, and @idonotlikeusernames have all requested them (and I do have characters availableā€¦), Iā€™ll certainly think about it.

I have thought of adding an extra power-up for the armour, but this will likely be a single upgrade, at a much later point in the plot (sorry). It should be noted that the MC already has a unique ability, but Iā€™m keeping it a secret until they discover it.

@IceeCry Iā€™m not exactly sure what you mean by ā€œchurchā€ in this context. As I say above, you donā€™t have to pursue them; this was why I added the rivalry option (admittedly, at present your choice of rival depends on your stats, but Iā€™m thinking of letting anyone rival either of them). Iā€™ll probably also rewrite the scene at the end of Episode 2, so that a rival wonā€™t fall for the MCā€™s alter-ego.

2 Likes

Crush is what I meant auto correct a blessing and a curse

You could keep the rival falling for the MC alter ego. That why you could skip adding a new character and make it a alternate why of romancing the rival/crush or do both. But as I said before I read it ether way I love the theme to much not to.

Iā€™m going to issue a warning about making the MC too "ramped " up - not that there isnā€™t precedent in this genre - just it might be harder to pull off in this medium.

@Zolataya Yeah, thatā€™s one of the reasons itā€™ll only happen once.

Iā€™ve uploaded a slightly altered version (mainly to deal with @Garyā€™s bug), but it also slightly changes the Chi/Anara rivalry (donā€™t fret, @IceeCry, I do intend to make it possible to romance via the rivalry path, but it felt a little out of character right there).

1 Like