[Tool] ChoiceScript Development Environment

@CJW Awesome. Just one question: browser console? :slight_smile:

@fantom F12 in Chrome, brings up a window, at the top if there’s a load of tabs, ‘Console’ is the last one on the right :slight_smile:

@CJW No bugs found as of yet but I reckon implementing that feature would be a decent way of getting more accurate feedback for yourself. :slight_smile: That besides, if you do any other browser based stuff, I assume the function is easy enough to port over too.

@CJW This is awesome! I was worried that I might get false positives and it would think that CS code was misspelled :slight_smile:

@CJW I’m with @fantom on this one - just being able to switch to check through a scene file for typos / spelling mistakes, within the IDE itself, would be a big plus for me, as it’s just about the only thing I still use notepad++ for. As much as I’m eagerly looking forward to the next IDE update, it’s worth delaying it as long as necessary to include this, IMO.

@_jl
The best I think I’ll be able to do at the moment is a mailto: link that automatically opens up your email client (if you have one). I’m trying hard to think of something better, but it’s proving difficult without a backend.

I can’t store any data on a central area, only to a users’ personal dropbox. So I can make it error dump to your dropbox and you can send me the error logs manually, but I haven’t yet found an easy, reliable way to automatically send me any logs or reports.
But I guess you could argue - in the name of privacy - that this is a very good thing.

@Vendetta @fantom
Is that particular implementation going to be ok (with some tidying up, and automating, of course)? Like I say there are js spellchecking libraries I can look into, but for the sake of performance, this is arguably better. Although an alternative argument would be that I can *possibly* make loading the spellchecking js optional. Ugh.

This will push the release back, but agreed, it’s all for the better.
I personally can’t use the old IDE anymore, I’ve grown much too fond of the features in the development version - I think that’s a good sign.

A lot of the stuff is functional it just all needs connecting, optimizing and restructuring into something resembling respectable code.
Then there’s all the other stuff that does still need coding, hah! ^^

@CJW I have no qualms with this implementation at all, just needs a button for easy switching and I’ll be a happy little camper!

Edit: I do have one question: how come there’s so much empty space in the “file” and “editor” bars when switching? Are you planning on adding more buttons?

@fantom
I’ve added a button to the live copy and made the text area line up with the editor properly. It’s still a hasty inclusion, but I’m quite keen to get feedback on that before I start trying to include it in the major update.

If you’re referring to the vertical space, it’s to allow more buttons, yeah.
It’s not a particularly great way of doing it - I’m not fond of it myself - I’ve already revamped that entire bar in the development version, there’s no horrible swapping now, a lot of the functionality has been moved elsewhere and the remaining buttons fit on one slim bar.

@CJW Hm mailto is a fine hack around for the moment. Would it be fairly straightforward to code in an embedded form that captures the text (i.e. bug report) and stores it in a document somewhere on the FTP/Dropbox? I’m not sure what the privacy restrictions on Dropbox for this are so maybe it’s not possible. Alternatively, you could have a separate tab/form/page dedicated to the bug report which captures the text?

Not sure on this one. Need to have a think.

@_jl
I can dump it in YOUR (the logged in user’s) Dropbox, but that’s not much good to me (the developer), unless you guys actually send it to me - in which case, you may as well just write a post here - it’d be just as hard/easy :confused:

It’s one of the limitations of DB’s API there’s no ‘central’ or ‘shared’ storage that I can use to dump things like logs, reports and statistics. There may be another third party API I can roll in to handle those sorts of things, I’ll do some googling.

Edit: Found one that’s looking very promising! :smiley:
Edit2: And ended up using something else entirely (though I might use that other thing for… other things, heh). Regardless, you should be able to ‘report bugs’ now :slight_smile:

@CJW Man, I’m so glad you adding that! I used it and had a quick read-through of what I’ve got for my game so far (not much) and it was rife with misspelled words! lol

@CJW

Bug Report - doesn’t work for me in either FF or Chrome, telling me I need something called Formoid app. In any case, I must honestly question the need for building this into the IDE itself as you’re hardly unresponsive here in the forum, whether in this thread or via PM. You tend to leap on any reported bugs and quickly squash them into oblivion, and the users most likely to find any remaining bugs are also regular forum users… Do we really need to squander effort on a formal system for reporting anything suspect?

Spellchecker - Raw works perfectly in Chrome, while in FF it toggles the raw code (and back again) just fine but doesn’t actually highlight any spelling mistakes. While by no means a comprehensive dictionary (it’s telling me “shorn” and “gangly” are not correct, for instance… but who writes about long-legged naked sheep anyway? :smiley: ) it’s certainly good enough for the main job - i.e. most commonly-used words and simple typos. Just needs fixing for FF and I’m a happy bunny indeed.

@Vendetta Good points, I was a bit skeptical about formoid.
If you need to install an app to do it, pfft, forget it.

Still, I may be able to use this other thing to silently report errors and statistics to me. But you’re likely right in relation to manual bug reports, thanks.

As for Firefox, it’s working fine for me…

You may need to type/hit enter in the box before the spell checker will kick in.
Note that the spell checkers are coded into the browsers’ themselves, so I have no control over what they deem as correct spelling :slight_smile:

EDIT: Fixed a slight visual overlap issue with the raw box in FF.

@Vendetta In Firefox it doesn’t highlight misspells at first either until I click in the text field.

@CJW I second the big report thing. Besides, if you stick with using this thread for bug reports you’ll hopefully reduce duplicate reports.

Edit: ninja’d by @CJW :slight_smile:

@CJW @fantom My bad - I’d never actually even installed a dictionary for FF, ever. Possibly one for the IDE help files, methinks, as I doubt I’m the only confident-of-my-own spelling FF user out there! I just needed to right-click the text box, select ‘dictionaries’, then choose one to add from the list presented. I suspect it’s the same procedure for switching between different ones, too, e.g. UK-English and US-English (once actually installed, that is).

@fantom @Vendetta
Well apparently double-clicking the formoid/report bug window makes the form load… If anyone could cross-check that for me? I’ll still likely remove it though.

I don’t recall ever having to install a FF dictionary, I think it did it automatically. But thanks for the heads up. I tell you the new help files will take me longer to produce than the update itself, ugh… :stuck_out_tongue:

@CJW My Chrome certainly self-installed a dictionary (US-English, at least) but I use FF 95% of the time and that one never has for me. Weird.

No luck with Formoid on double-click, in either browser. Sorry.

@CJW Excellent! Just out of curiousity, what did you manage to find that allowed you to do it?

@Vendetta
Thanks for trying, but don’t be sorry about it. I’ll take it down when I get home.

@_jl
That’s precisely the problem, the lack of a centralized database. We can store private data per user just fine, but any sort of cross-communication is a no-go.

I’m experimenting with the https://www.firebase.com API at the moment, it’s looking promising and should allow me to do the stuff Dropbox can’t (simply the synchronization of localized data), without having to resort to constructing my own back end.

@CJW Any chance of including a font size setting (e.g. under ‘Settings’, for instance :slight_smile: )? It’s usable at the current default size, and probably ideal for most, but may not be entirely comfortable for everyone.