[Tool] ChoiceScript Development Environment

@jasonstevanhill This such a wonderful tool was wondering if CoG should not put this as a sticky on the forum. Thanks

There’s a link to it in the code library under the “I’m new to ChoiceScript” and need help sticky.

@lordirish ^This
But I’m really glad you like it. I’m working on a new version with a of updates and optimizations, so please do let me know if you can think of anything else I can add for you! :slight_smile:

Though having said that, I’ve finally decided against the mygame.js panel (at least for the time being) - I think I’ll try and promote the use of startup.txt.

And thanks for that link @jasonstevanhill

@FairyGodfeather Did you manage to resolve the problem you were having with testing some code in the default scene? If there’s still an issue there it could really do with being addressed before the new version is released, to save other users possibly running afoul of it.

@Vendetta I couldn’t. Every time I’ve tried to test code in it I’ve got the same error. However my browsers are both playing up in regards to other issues too. I suspect I have some sort of malware. Only I can’t get the malware scanner to run and the virus scanner’s not working either. I’m really not a fan of Windows 8.

@FairyGodfeather lol no one know likes windows 8. Unless you have a touch screen.

@lordirishdas ugh my dad has Windows 8 on his laptop, and it has a touchscreen, and I think it’s the worst thing ever invented.

@jasonstevanhill lol I guess I stand corrected. :stuck_out_tongue:

@FairyGodfeather
If I send you a link to the newer in-development version would you be willing to try that and let me know if you have the same problem? :slight_smile:

Windows 8? Blegh… \:

@CJW I could try. I definitely think the problem is my machine though. I can’t access the task manager, I can’t run any sort of anti-virus or anti-malware programmes. My browsers are both exceptionally slow and the ad-blockers don’t work. I’m at a loss with Windows 8.

@FairyGodfeather
Presumably system restore doesn’t work either?
Sounds like you could do with backing up all your data, formatting your hard drive and reinstalling Windows.

As horrible as 8’s UI is, I don’t think it’s any less (or more) stable and efficient than 7 - i.e. yes that’s almost definitely being caused by some hideous form of malware :confused:

I was fine with 8 my problems started when I upgraded to 8.1 now it keeps crashing on me :frowning:

@CJW I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but if I click the arrow to slide the right panel out of the way, I have issues trying to select text.

@fantom @CJW Could maybe be browser-specific? I don’t actually have that problem using Firefox whether the right panel is in or out, or whether line wrapping is on or off.

@Vendetta I also use Firefox, so I’m clueless.

@fantom Could you expand on this a little more? What sort of issues?

@CJW like the cursor/selector/whatever seems to think it’s on a different line than it actually is. For example, if I try to place the cursor at the end of line 22, which has, say, 20 characters in it. Instead of appearing at the end of that line, it’ll appear somewhere in the middle like it thinks that line has fewer characters than it actually does.

There is a visual bug related to selection but it is purely visual and shouldn’t actually effect your selection when copying, cutting etc. This may be what you’ve stumbled across.
If it bothers you it may help to turn line-wrapping off.

If the issue isn’t just visual then any other information you can provide would likely prove helpful, screenshots, browser version etc - so I can try my best to replicate it.

@Vendetta @fantom
I *might* have found something, does it seem to have any relation to tabbed/indented lines?

The behaviour I’m experiencing seems to be, but a quick click to another line and back seems to fix it 100% of the time and it’s not really at all annoying, so I’m not convinced it’s the same issue.

What preferences are you guys on?

Tabs/Spaces/Size/Line Wrapping (on/off)/Smart Indent etc?

EDIT: Think I may have found this, that is most definitely a bug and it’s very annoying - thanks for pointing it out fantom, I’ll try and work out a solution.

EDIT2: And that should be fixed now, assuming I found the same bug you guys were talking about. Basically the editor wasn’t taking note of the fact that although the line numbers haven’t change they will be positioned differently, so the selection was skewed. I’ve just set the editor to refresh and recalculate itself when you close or open the right pane and it seems to be working fine now. Please let me know whether or not it’s sorted for you guys (do try clearing your browser cache first, just to be sure you’re using the updated code).

@CJW It seems to be fixed now :slight_smile: It was never a super big deal, really, but I figured you’d at least want to know about it.