Tokyo Wizard (CLOSED, SUBMITTED)

I just did a super random run through as a nice gal that I purposefully died in because I want to go to bed. XD.

Two things came up.

First. When I first arrived at Aracanus’ place I checked my stats and got an error:

choicescript_stats line 10: non-existent variable ‘turn_off_nationality’

I chose Andrea the American.
For the rest of the game I could only read the stats up to “Job: Student”.
It made for an interesting game although I really only wanted to track my elemental percentages.

Second. In deciding to end the game early I chose to die in the tsunami with Yuki because my bed is calling and more than just a check it out quick-run shall be done over the weekend.

8_Kamakura line 2562: non-existent variable ‘save_system_on’

It still went to the ending page afterwards.
Was there supposed to be a save system we could use? Because I think I’d really like one so I don’t have to end early for bed. For the record I am kidding. Mostly. Like ninety percent kidding. Lol.

1 Like

Well, actually this is the correct way to greet a Kappa. (What do you mean, it seems cruel? You’ll be telling me it’s cruel to behead fairies for speaking to you, next. It’s traditional!)

4 Likes

@Curious_Boy I’m having some difficulty with the compiler, not sure why… trying to investigate that now (the game works, passes quicktest and randomtest but isnt compiling properly… unsure why but will hopefully get to the end of it)

@UmbraLamia, corrected the health problem (well, not you get half your health back when you revive, is this ok as a solution?) The Kappa thing, unfortunately I didn’t invent kappa or the rest of the mythological monsters in the story. An earlier reviewer highlighted how my story didn’t have enough japanese myths, so in the second part I set out to incorporate many of these, as strange as they may seem! Given how popular kappa are in japan, i thought I couldn’t have a story without it or the Nio, who are also in half the temples…. But, thanks for noticing about “shacking”… that was funny to read!

@Monk65 I think those should be corrected now, and the “save” system should be in place

@ParrotWatcher I’m impressed you know about Kappa!

well… i understand :slight_smile:

1 Like

I loved this game dunno how to arcanus tho kill him

1 Like

May want to double check the “Living in:” stat. It shows my MC living in Akebonobashi even though I chose another place.

Edit: Noticed that the wand was kept in a lacquered cardboard box. Who lacquers cardboard?

1 Like

The consensus seems to be that nobody knows how to kill him. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I improved the save system so that it restores the actual health and mana that you had before entering the fight.

@UmbraLamia Thanks! I corrected that bug, and changed that to a box (yes, it is strange, and anyway doesn’t agree with the earlier text).

@Harley_Robin_Evans @ParrotWatcher Thanks! I was worried the game would be too easy, and instead it seems to be impossible! I’ve lowered the health of the Air Elemental in Tokyo Tower, the Earth Elemental in Meiji Shrine and Arcanus’ stats

About how to obtain a positive outcome, there are three ways 1. Be an obedient and docile apprentice all along, and wait for the right moment to strike at Meiji (I guess this is the super-evil approach) 2. Make sure to take lots of allies (Yuki, Kappa, an elemental of your own plus Water elemental, etc) and go and face Arcanus. You can either overcome him yourself or hold him off till your allies overcome his own allies . Are these not working, or its just too difficult and obscure? (anyway, as I said I just reduced health and other stats to make this easier…)

first thing first i really love the story.

But

when i get to the final fight against Arcanus. I chose to pick the untie elemantal ability because i let all the 4 elmantals life because i thought that you could make from them an army to use against arcanus but i didn’t get the option is that intentinal ?

1 Like

Regarding the final battle, I ran away from Arcanus after the death of the first familiar, brought a water elemental, Yuki, fire jacket, robe to cover it. I ended up killing him with a simple ray of water. I was on very easy mode. So, heh XD

@alex_jansink from what I know, you can only unbind the water elemental and bring it along after befriending it. And summon either an earth, or fire elemental. As a wizard can only summon 1 at a time, and water only helps because it likes you.Haven’t delved into necromancy, though.

I liked how the second half gave a calmer feel to the game, compared to the somewhat darker first part. Though it seems that if you run away after the death of your first familiar, you tend to miss out a chunk of the story. Not too much of a big deal, but an observation.

@alex_jansink Thanks! Yes, basically what Umbralamia said is correct. It should be explained somewhere in the dialogues, so it is intentional.

@UmbraLamia is also intentional. Basically, I didn’t want the game to be completely linear, to avoid the feeling of it being completely railroaded So, around half way you can “Jump a chapter” and go to Kamakura early (for those players who just can’t stand Arcanus anymore. I mean, killing the pet seems to be too much for many people (and it was intended to be that way, like a very evil dark choice). However, if the MC then sticks longer he basically goes along the “help Arcanus routes” of the game, though he/she can still change his/her mind and flee. The alternative is (if you haven’t rebelled too much against Arcanus earlier on) to help him in his plans to attack Meiji Shrine I wonder though, how many people took the route to Meiji? Essentially, from around the middle of the game there are two completely different paths, did many people choose the “evil” path? Also, my intention is to have a third path (still not written though) that allows the MC to go deeper into Necromancy.

finally be able to reach the last Chapter after struggling with my inet problem :relieved:
and here is some typo Another friend of yours, an English guy called David, was vigorously
opposed to the idea. You always found John a bit of an enigma, as he
would spend most of his time reading philosophy when not teaching at his
language school.
so it seems MC can’t decide who is he actually, poor boy :sweat_smile:
btw, beside adding the third path, are you planning to polish the epilogue more ? to be honest, im not really satisfied with the last scene after we defeat arcanus, i expect there is some conclusion or something like that about our life after the last battle… and *nervous cough :blush: especially some opportunity to getting back together with Akira kyyaa!! <3 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

i just have a problem winning against the last boss most of all i would like a saving system so i dont need to redo everything in the game from the start.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ll be able to finish this in one sitting at this time, but playing through the game gives me a mild giddiness that you don’t really feel too often. I’ll definitely consider this game should it ever come out.

I have noticed that when I invite Aiko to a park meet-up, that her relationship stat disappears afterwards.

1 Like

Whoever you invite for that meet up, apparently ignores you forever, from that scene onward.

1 Like

Yes! Beware the fury of my new zombie hamster! That will teach Arcanus to hurt my Boo.

Go for the eyes Boo!

3 Likes

@Curious_Boy thanks for the bug, I corrected that. Also, I’m not 100% satisfied with the ending, and I guess there is room for either closure or something better. I’ve got a couple of ideas on how to implement this, so might work on it during my flight in an hour, or next week when I have a chance.

@Hugana There is a save system. You need to unable it during the starting part of the game (I implemented it yesterday I think, let me know if you have problems with it). Many people found it difficult to I lowered his stats yesterday, but I guess this might still be too difficult?

@RagEgnite, @UmbraLamia. That’s not what was intended. I think I found the bug, and you should be able to further interact with them For that your relationship should be >50% and not used any spell on them. This leads to a number of different interactions and text later on. Let me know if it’s not behaving as intended

@SeventhJackel Now, that was is an interesting thought! I’m still on the early phases of writing this part, but a zombie hamster isn’t a bad idea!

2 Likes

Just tested it out, and the relationship stat stayed this time around. Haven’t played through the whole game yet, but thanks for patching it up!

1 Like

YAY!! :triumph:

Hhhaahaa XD when you put it like that, i like to learn necromancy as well :laughing:

1 Like

I’m already about 1/3 of the way with the necromancy chapter, hopefully I’ll manage to finish it in the next week or so, which would be the final path in the game. How is the feeling so far, does it feel railroaded?