To the Whistling Winds (WIP) [UPDATED 08/04/2020]

Glad I could clear it up!

3 Likes

The hate for Tyler is strong for the MC :rofl:
I like the demo, though I like anything with the fae in it. I’m looking forward to seeing what comes in the future.

Also is the pen pal Ernest?

1 Like

MC can’t think Alejandro is nice without thinking he’s an airhead?? I just thought he was nice

1 Like

@Jordan_Kelley
I’m glad you liked the demo! I’m really excited for future chapters where the fae will show up, and I hope you enjoy those too! :heart:

The penpal is just a random person MC knows from abroad. I imagine they live far away, so they won’t show up in-game.

@fisheye
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll add that as an option. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

200715_TTWW_ICON

I’m so thrilled to share “To the Whistling Wind’s” lovely new icon! It was drawn by my incredibly talented friend @meizhn , so please check her blog out and give her a follow!

Thank you all for your support and interest in my project, and I hope to continue to share my progress with you!

26 Likes

That’s absolutely beautiful. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Played this a couple days ago and really wanted to make some fanart via old retro Disneyland posters :smiley:

Really looking forward to how things progress in game :eyes:

15 Likes

Wow so I played through your demo in one sitting and I have to say, I really enjoyed it! I’m looking forward to seeing story evolve and meeting the rest of your beautifully drawn cast of characters!

I appreciated all the…I guess flavor choices? that felt like they added a lot more interaction with the story. I’m actually curious to know if these flavor choices (expressing your opinion/reaction/demeanor towards certain events/characters) impact your personality or skill stats at all? (Admittedly I do not check the stats screen very often, which is why I don’t know haha.) Or if any of them will impact the story at a later time? (such as if you speak Spanish or not.)

For a little bit of friendly feedback: I think your writing style matches well with the tone of the story, currently, and I was able to feel very immersed in my role of ‘average post-grad tour guide going through the motions of life’. Keep up the great work! I also liked how a lot of the opinion/reaction choices had a good range of options, all the way from agreeable to neutral to disgruntled haha. It’s always nice to a good breadth of outlooks to pick from.
Your little touches of detail are wonderful as well (namely I loved the mention of collectible pins during the public tour ^^).
The only critique I have is that the pacing felt a little slow. Don’t get me wrong, I love getting more insight into MC’s life and the theme park! But just as they can be in real life, the events of running errands and drifting through the details of a routine job felt a bit…rote…to me. I thought your concept of infusing Fae with a theme park was intriguing, but after the whole errand-running sequence, I began to wonder when the fantasy and mystery were going to kick in, if that makes sense.
But otherwise, you have a lovely piece of work going, and I can’t wait for the story to unfold!

Cheers!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, this is so lovely! I can’t say enough kind things about it, beyond that it looks stunning. Thank you so much, I can’t believe someone would like the park enough to make fan art :heart:

2 Likes

Hi, thank you so much for your feedback!

I really appreciate you pointing this out, as I myself have been hem and hawing over the “chapter 1.5” (aka the chapter with all the errands). I think it adds elements that I want to continue on later, but I also know it slows down the pace of the story a lot, and I can understand when you say that it feels like the Fae elements haven’t really shown up.

I think I’ll leave it in the demo for now, but it might be cut (and used for parts lol) after Chapter 3 is uploaded. At the end of the day, I don’t want my readers to be bored by a chapter, so I want to see if I can make it flow better. Again, thank you for pointing this out. It really helps.

And thank you so much for your kind words in regards to my writing style! I hope you continue to enjoy my game as I update, and please keep me informed about your thoughts on my pacing.

(Edit, as I just saw your other question):

Some of the choices you make in regards to your MC’s personality will effect future gameplay for sure. Stuff like your dream job, clothing, etc won’t affect anything beyond flavor text, but your MC’s personality and skills do change based on their choices.

Hope that answers your question!

2 Likes

I really like the slow pacing of this, and the whole seemingly average normal atmosphere of the game makes the strange and magical things that more interesting. Also, if we choose to be a straight woman (picking the ‘ex boyfriends’ choice) will all the 6 ROs be male?

1 Like

None of the ROs are gender-flippable from what I’ve seen. So if you pick to play as a straight woman you’ll only be able to romance the male ROs and get locked out from romancing the female ROs.

1 Like

Hey, this is great! I almost forgot all about the fact that fairies would be involved LOL. This borders on slice-of-life, just you going about the motions until you can leave and go do something in your degree field haha. I’m very excited to get into the magic elements of the story :heart_eyes:

Once upon a time I also worked in an amusement park and this game has me both parts relieved I left and amused since I used to go though so many feelings the MC currently goes through while employed.

I can’t wait to see how the game continues!

1 Like

I just wanna know what happens when trying to climb into your window.

2 Likes

@Yev
Thank you for your feedback too! I appreciate hearing both sides of slower pacing vs faster pacing, and I think I’ll wait and see how Chapter 3 goes before cutting anything. As @Fay said, if you play as a straight woman, you will have 3 RO options of the guys. The genders of the ROs do not change depending on the MC’s sexuality.

@Fay
Thanks for answering a question for me! :smiley:

@tandra88

I’m glad you liked my demo so far! I feel like that’s my favorite part of magical realism - sometimes you can even forget that there are magical elements involved. I’ll see if I need to change anything in future updates, but lulling the MC into a false sense of security is a part of my plan. :wink:

Aw, I’m glad you found it accurate! I myself have never worked in a park, although many of my friends currently do, and I’m trying to use them as sources. I hope you continue to enjoy the game as I update!

@Jordan_Kelley

If your MC has enough Athletics to climb the trellis, they realize that there’s no way for them to get in unless they break the window. If your MC doesn’t have high enough Athletics, they give up half way. Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Hah!!:rofl::rofl:
Yep that helps!!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! It’s been a busy couple of weeks for me, but I just wanted to thank everyone for 3K+ demo plays and nearly 300 likes! I’m always happy to see how people respond to my work, and I hope you all enjoy the next update!

The next update will contain Chapter 3, as well as refining the stats page. My current draft for the Chapter is 4.5k words, and I estimate its finished state will be 15k.

23 Likes

08/04/20 UPDATE!

Hello! August is here, and with it, Chapter 3! This chapter is almost 10k in length, and of course, picks up where Chapter 2 left off. The size of the playable demo is now 41k.

MC has an interesting night, and we finally meet the last two ROs! (Teddy and Bridget are eternally patient with me.) Warning: this chapter contains thriller/supernatural horror aspects and mild violence. Nothing too drastic, though, but better safe than sorry.

Update includes
  • Chapter 3
  • Bug fixes, spacing errors, grammar stuff.
  • Relationship stat refining.
Links

Demo
Tumblr
Ko-fi
TTWW Discord Channel

What I’m looking for in terms of feedback:

• Spelling errors, bug fixes, grammar improvement.
  • Thoughts on the chapter’s mood
  • Feedback on my writing style
  • Pacing
  • Anything else you feel like bringing up!

I hope you guys like the update! :slight_smile: (I’m going to go back to playing Fire Emblem now…)

7 Likes

I wanted to point out something about the phone’s battery, before i forget. It’s nothing significant…

By the way (to not leave the comment blank) this chapter was a real rollercaster, from the previouses which were described as a fluffy cake, this one is like you found a dead bug, while eating the cake (I am referring to the eerie feeling of the park at night,…in case it wasn’t clear, sorry I will stop saying nosense). Also at the end, it felt like there was missing some interaction, I mean we could have asked what’s going on, before fainting, but I guess we were too shocked and not to forget that our voice was hoarse, so we were unlikely getting a word out.

Which one is worse ?

I am curious about what you readers chose.