To the Whistling Winds (WIP) [UPDATED 08/04/2020]

Personally, I think the plot synopsis already alludes to the underlying mystery, not to mention the hints we get along the way in the story proper (like the dream sequence). I guess I was really immersed by the intro that the latter parts stood out. Maybe my earlier comment about a tonal shift was too strong, it still felt slice of life all the way to the end, the new elements just added a new flavor to the tone.

I honestly got it wrong the first time, now I really feel sorry for the guy. :joy_cat:

Dollars to donuts he’s somehow related to the screaming lady and/or mystery dude hahahaha.

1 Like

Alright, thanks for clarifying! It really helps. I always like knowing someone’s thoughts on the tone.

:joy_cat: Truth in fiction.

4 Likes

i played the game a couple of times and i really have to say i enjoy it!

i’m just curious if choosing the “i’m glad i’m not involved in the dating drama” immediately locks the player out from romancing the ROs. if so, then curse my non-existent romance life
(on the other hand, i’m still deciding if i want romance involved in my route or just a really intimate friendship)

7 Likes

I’m really glad you enjoyed the game!

Yes, this locks the MC into an aromantic route, which locks all flirt options in the rest of the game. Relationships are really important to me as a writer (platonic or romantic), so my goal is to make it so that the MC can form close bonds with the rest of the characters regardless of whether or not they are romantically interested in them.

I hope that answers your question. :smile_cat:

4 Likes

Thanks. i really appreciate your response. i admit i’m relieved to hear that and i’m hoping to be very close buddies with Alejandro.

2 Likes

Something I noticed about that part is that it doesn’t allow for MC that has experienced something like that, because all choices say MC has never had that happen

1 Like

I’m glad I could help clarify some things up for you, and I hope you and Alejandro become good friends as well. :slight_smile:

@fisheye
Yes, it’s just a way of keeping the narrative from getting too clunky. Besides, none of the MC’s possible exes will show up, so it’s more flavor text than anything.

1 Like

07/12/20 UPDATE!

This update comprises of a chapter I’m lovingly calling “Chapter 1.5.” It comes in between the already-uploaded Chapters 1 and 2, and its purpose is to expand some elements I thought were necessary before I throw you into Chapter 3. For that reason, I high recommend you play again from the start and override your old save files.

The size of this update is around 9k words, and the size of the playable demo is now around 32k words.

Chapter notes
  • Chapter 1.5
  • Bug fixes, spacing errors, grammar stuff.
  • Updated Julia’s description in the stat page.
  • Finished “dream job” section, as well as a few other scenes for customization.

What I’m looking for in terms of feedback:

• Spelling errors, bug fixes, grammar improvement.
  • Feedback on my writing style
  • Pacing
  • Anything else you feel like bringing up!

In more exciting news, I’ve started a Ko-fi! The link has been quietly sitting in the first post for a week or so, but I’d like to officially share it here.

You absolutely don’t have to donate, but if you like what I’m doing and want to see more of it, I’d really appreciate it! Plus, we’re already 60% of the way to me opening up commissions, if that’s something you’re interested in. :wink:

TTWW now also has a Discord. Feel free to join if you want to discuss the game! Everyone there is super nice and enthusiastic.

That’s all, and I hope you enjoy the new update!

18 Likes

Well done on the update! I liked the little illegal extralegal things we could during the weekend :smiling_imp:. The update definitely added more plot threads that I’m interested in (Julia’s letter and Alejandro’s sketchiness to be more specific). Alejandro, aside from being my personal rival character haha, is definitely the top one of my list for having a dark past/motive. Was the extra option about him not being as carefree as he looks tied to MC’s perception stat?

Typo

*An > A

One suggestion: Would it also be possible to just mention Mars and her tour hijacking and avoid mentioning the screaming lady when we’re writing our report at the end of the day?

3 Likes

Thanks for your encouragement! I’m curious as to what your rivalry with Alejandro entails, exactly? :laughing:

Yes, and Alejandro has a higher perception stat check than the other characters. Alejandro’s really fun to write!

Thanks for catching the typo. In regards to your suggestion: Since mentioning Mars is a perception check as well (good on you for having high perception!), I can’t think of a plot reason why that option would be necessary. I hope you understand, and if have an idea in mind, I’m open to adding the option! As for now, I think I’ll keep it as-is. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The way he reminds me of a recent anime archetype just put me on guard haha. My plan is to go buddy buddy with him and call him broseph whilst surreptitiously pulling off a Sherlock with his motives. My lazy ass high charisma MC is also salty that Alejandro gets a free drink while MC doesn’t even get a discount. :sweat_smile:

Gotta have high perception for any game I play with mysteries in it! Since it’s stat related, I don’t really mind. Thanks for clearing that up.

2 Likes

Glad I could clear it up!

3 Likes

The hate for Tyler is strong for the MC :rofl:
I like the demo, though I like anything with the fae in it. I’m looking forward to seeing what comes in the future.

Also is the pen pal Ernest?

1 Like

MC can’t think Alejandro is nice without thinking he’s an airhead?? I just thought he was nice

1 Like

@Jordan_Kelley
I’m glad you liked the demo! I’m really excited for future chapters where the fae will show up, and I hope you enjoy those too! :heart:

The penpal is just a random person MC knows from abroad. I imagine they live far away, so they won’t show up in-game.

@fisheye
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll add that as an option. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

200715_TTWW_ICON

I’m so thrilled to share “To the Whistling Wind’s” lovely new icon! It was drawn by my incredibly talented friend @meizhn , so please check her blog out and give her a follow!

Thank you all for your support and interest in my project, and I hope to continue to share my progress with you!

26 Likes

That’s absolutely beautiful. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Played this a couple days ago and really wanted to make some fanart via old retro Disneyland posters :smiley:

Really looking forward to how things progress in game :eyes:

15 Likes

Wow so I played through your demo in one sitting and I have to say, I really enjoyed it! I’m looking forward to seeing story evolve and meeting the rest of your beautifully drawn cast of characters!

I appreciated all the…I guess flavor choices? that felt like they added a lot more interaction with the story. I’m actually curious to know if these flavor choices (expressing your opinion/reaction/demeanor towards certain events/characters) impact your personality or skill stats at all? (Admittedly I do not check the stats screen very often, which is why I don’t know haha.) Or if any of them will impact the story at a later time? (such as if you speak Spanish or not.)

For a little bit of friendly feedback: I think your writing style matches well with the tone of the story, currently, and I was able to feel very immersed in my role of ‘average post-grad tour guide going through the motions of life’. Keep up the great work! I also liked how a lot of the opinion/reaction choices had a good range of options, all the way from agreeable to neutral to disgruntled haha. It’s always nice to a good breadth of outlooks to pick from.
Your little touches of detail are wonderful as well (namely I loved the mention of collectible pins during the public tour ^^).
The only critique I have is that the pacing felt a little slow. Don’t get me wrong, I love getting more insight into MC’s life and the theme park! But just as they can be in real life, the events of running errands and drifting through the details of a routine job felt a bit…rote…to me. I thought your concept of infusing Fae with a theme park was intriguing, but after the whole errand-running sequence, I began to wonder when the fantasy and mystery were going to kick in, if that makes sense.
But otherwise, you have a lovely piece of work going, and I can’t wait for the story to unfold!

Cheers!

2 Likes