To the Whistling Winds (WIP) [UPDATED 09/18/2020]

Exceedingly normal; that’s how you’d describe yourself. You’re an average twenty-something living in the 21st century, saddled with student loan debt and the ever-present sense that you’re not quite where you want to be in life. After all, it wasn’t exactly your childhood dream to be a tour guide at the widely beloved Chester Theme Park. Every day is a monotonous blur of plastered-on smiles and the endless Californian sun.

But then, the unexplainable starts. People go missing, you start seeing things no one else seems to notice, and you find yourself at the center of a mystery that started decades before you were born.

The park’s history isn’t as wholesome as it presents itself to be, and the Fair Folk don’t play fair. Can you navigate through half-truths and othernatural forces and still stay yourself?

And the greater question: do you even want to?

To the Whistling Winds is an interactive fiction game with elements of mystery, fantasy, and a modern fairytale in everyday life. This game is heavily character driven, with choices that range from your concept of morality to what you’d like to wear for a night out.

Features:

|✧| Main character customization; gender, pronouns, sexuality, appearance, style, hobbies, and personality

|✧| Befriend or romance any of the six members of the Covey and develop lasting relationships - or antagonize those around you.

|✧| Ordinary struggles such as the pain of being ghosted over text, overworking at your just-above-minimum-wage job, and being kidnapped by Faeries.

Demo last updated 09/18/20 PST (Check word count below for more info.)

CHARACTERS

ALEJANDRO MAKISIG OCAMPO FLORES
he/him ✧ Filipino ✧ 6′3″ ✧ 26

Alejandro came into your life like a shooting star, and he burns just as hot; charismatic, social, with a devil-may-care smile and an incredible awareness of his own talents. He’s classically handsome, with wavy brown hair, amber eyes, and a fondness for brightly patterned clothing. He seems to regard everything with excitement and impatience, with sense of ambition that’s bound to get him in trouble sooner or later.

BRIDGET MAEVE SWEENEY
she/her ✧ Irish ✧ 5′9″ ✧ 24

Creative, eccentric, and prone to stumbling over her own words, Bridget is sweet but not particularly fond of meeting new people or engaging with the unfamiliar. Bridget is waifish and tall, with grey eyes and soft facial features. Her ginger hair is usually arranged in a ponytail or a braid. Having grown up with stories of the Fae, Bridget seems to hold the fair folk in strong regard - but you can’t quite tell if that comes from a place of respect or fear.

CLÉMENCE CÉLESTE CHOI
she/her ✧ French-Korean✧ 5′3″ ✧ 23

Cleménce is unlike any person you’ve ever met before; she’s prickly and aloof, with absolutely no charisma - yet she’s remarkably good at seeing through the charms of other people. Her appearance is striking, with long, black hair, dark eyes, and impeccable, knife-sharp eyeliner. Despite her lack of interest and her obvious disdain for the supernatural, you get the sense that the Fae are very interested in her.

ERNEST HENRY BRAND
he/him ✧ Anglo-American ✧ 6′0″ ✧ 25(?)

Ernest is methodical and contemplative, with a shyness that manifests itself as defensiveness, making him seem colder than he really is. His sense of humor is incredibly dry, which leads to very few people finding him funny. Ernest has pale blue eyes, brown hair, and a prominent widow’s peak at his hairline, as well as very angular features. You don’t know much about him, but you’re not the only one he keeps at arm’s length.

MARISOL “MARS” VERA GABRIEL CAMPANA
she/her ✧ Argentinian ✧ 5′6″✧ 27

Mars has all the qualities of a born leader: outspoken, confident, and dependable, and she would be a great one were it not for her incredible stubbornness. Muscular and broad-shouldered, Mars carries herself with impressive presence despite her average height. She has thick, curly brown hair and hazel eyes. Her bitterness is palpable whenever the Fae are brought up, and you know that there’s an unhappy history there.

THEODORE “TEDDY” DANIEL YORK
he/him ✧ African-American ✧ 5′10″ ✧ 25

With his caring personality and remarkable patience, Teddy’s the heart of any group he’s ever been in, but he has a tendency to judge people too strongly - himself included. He has short, tightly curled black hair and warm brown eyes that lend to his grounded, approachable demeanor. Teddy seeks the fair folk with sense of reluctance and obligation, desperate to prevent others from making the same mistakes that he did.

WORD COUNT

09/18//20:
Chapter 4 is around 25k in length. Current total word count is around 66k+.

Update contains:

• Chapter 4 - 25391 words
  • Personality stats overhaul
  • Bug fixes, spacing errors, grammar stuff
  • “Rumors around Chester” page now functional and updates as you play.
FEEDBACK

What I’m looking for in terms of feedback:

• Spelling errors, bug fixes, grammar improvement.
  • If you feel as if there’s an option that’s missing, please let me know!
  • Feedback on my writing style.
  • Pacing
  • Anything else you feel like bringing up!
CONTENT WARNINGS

Fantasy horror elements, optional SFW sensuality, minor blood, gore, and violence. Discussions of past experiences with homophobia, sexism, and racism. Think PG-13 movie, and please message me if you have any concerns.

FAQ
  • How old is the MC?
    The MC is a relatively recent college grad, so they could comfortably be anywhere in their early to mid twenties.

• Is Chester Park Disneyland?
    Chester Theme Park isn’t based off of any one real-world attraction.

• Are ROs genderlocked/gender-selectable?
    ROs are not genderlocked and are romanceable regardless of MC’s gender. ROs are not gender-selectable.

• Can you make [character] a romance option?
    If a character isn’t an RO, it’s probably for a story or plot related reason that will be explored as I keep writing!

• Is this going to be a series?
    This is going to be a single game.

DEMO
DEV BLOG
KO-FI
DISCORD

Please let me know what you think about my game so far; compliments and critique are both invaluable! If you have lore, game-universe, or character questions, please drop an ask in the game’s Tumblr! Most importantly, I hope you enjoy it. :slight_smile:

(And of course, thank you to Rose and Dumby for test-playing it!)

564 Likes

Oh my god it’s here!

First of all, I’d like to say that I love the characters, especially Clemence, Ernest, and Teddy. They are my Top 3 — The Holy Trinity of my heart. Second of all, I love faeries, and I love your writing. Not to mention your exquisite artwork of the characters. Truly magnificent. The talent, the skill, it’s just… so much flavor. Good luck on this project! I’ll support you ‘til the end of time :heart:

18 Likes

Ah, only a chapter in and I’m already in love with your story!

The ways you introduced character customization were well implemented without breaking immersion, and the thought put into each choice really stood out!

Not to mention your character drawings look amazing! Keep up the great work! :star_struck:

7 Likes

Aaaaa magical realism! I’m really glad to know the full synopsis now. I can’t wait to date Alejandro and fend off the fae.

4 Likes

I haven’t read all of it considering I’m tired as all hell and your story piqued my curiosity but before I was about to head to bed. Regardless, it was worth the sleep deprivation I might feel tomorrow. I wish you luck with your work and hope you enjoy writing it as people do reading.
I shall lend ten claps before my consciousness slips
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

You finally did it! I can’t wait to read more! Congrats Bubs!!! Team Ernest all the way!!!

2 Likes

This was spectacular.I absolutely loved it.

4 Likes

@Fay
Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m flattered that you like my characters (and art!) so much, and I hope you continue to enjoy then as I progress in my story! I can’t tell you enough much I appreciate your support and feedback.:heart:

@LemonInk
I’m so glad to hear your feedback on the flow of my story, and I’m really happy you liked it (and my drawing!)

@Tuunetoon
Hehe, yes, where would we be without a synopsis? I will do my best to get you to both Alejandro and the fae.

@Zoroth
This is such a high compliment, thank you! I hope you got some rest. :slight_smile:

@Orchid-Tea-Party
Thanks so much for your support! Hehe, I have a feeling you’re not alone in Team Ernest…

@Book_Devourer
Thank you so much for letting me know! I’m really glad you liked my story.

@fisheye
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll add grey eyes in the next update.

5 Likes

Great wip author but I gotta ask why not let us save our room mate from their evil boyfriend? You know show the what love really is.

6 Likes

I had a great time reading through this WIP! I thought the flavor text and setup were well done, and I’m excited to read what you come up with when you really start diving into the magical parts!

Also your RO illustrations are gorgeous! Love the racial diversity. :heart: I’m really happy to have met Alejandro already – he seems like such a sweetheart! :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

@Atomicurtchen
I’m glad you like my WIP! To be honest, in my mind, Julia has never been attracted to the MC or vice versa. You will be able to meddle in her love life later in the game, but there are currently no plans for a Julia route. I’m open to suggestions, though!

@violet
I’m so happy you liked my setup, and I hope you’re as excited as I am to dig into some fae lore! It’s about to get messy. And I’m very flattered you like my illustrations!

Alejandro’s a babe - I’m sure he liked meeting you too. :wink:

6 Likes

Modern fae mystery? I’m here to get the live action Artemis Fowl out of my mind, this’ll be good.

6 Likes

Oh man, I never read Artemis Fowl, but I heard a lot about the new movie. My condolences. Hope you enjoyed my demo! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great start. You definitely left me intrigued and I can’t wait for an update. I think you have a good balance between text and choices, I never once felt that there was a tedious amount of reading before I could interact with the story. You also included a nice variety of customisation options. Best of luck with your progress :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks! Your feedback on my choice/story balance helps a lot, and I’m glad that my customization options were useful.

I hope to update soon!

4 Likes

Hi! I really loved playing your demo! The way you introduced the customization and the vast amount of ways we can interact with characters is great! It’s always refreshing to be able to interact several ways to see the reactions of the characters. This might be coming later but it would be good to possible expand in the characters background. Also I think it would be interesting to be able to choose what job the MC was originally looking for even if it’s a type in vs a choice list. Anyway can’t wait for chapter 2!!! :grin:

3 Likes

Hi! Super happy to hear your feedback on my customization options! Since it’s my first time working on a game, knowing that they struck a good balance is really helpful to hear.

I’ll definitely update the character bios as more chapters are uploaded. I know they’re pretty vague right now, but I promise you’ll learn more about them soon.

Job choice is a pretty interesting idea! Would you prefer a type-in option, or a list of choices to pick from? I’m interested in your feedback.

6 Likes

You forgot to add space.

1 Like

oh, this is really good! i really like the way you portrayed the park, and the amount of variety when it comes to the mc’s reactions was really nice. i’m going to have to replay the demo a lot, i think- i love it so far!

1 Like

Personally, I think having a sort of list depending on the major the reader picks would make the story “flow” better. The flow you have going in your write of choices and the specific text following makes for a very smooth transition into the next scene and acknowledges the prior choice the players made. It one reason I really love the transition of the story (more simply I really like your style of writing). However, some people may prefer to have a certain career implicated that is not mentioned on the list which would make a type in option better for them however it’s break part of the flow of the story. Overall, this I’m sure is a rather small detail, but I’m excited to see what you do!!! :grin:

3 Likes