Tin Star testing

Playing Native American looks fine, being shot due to a name :slight_smile: ( like being shot in the back for $80)

@Kandrakaria - Glad to hear that. I hope the evil play through is as satisfying.

@stsword and @Pepper - Is Marshal James’ reaction to the MC’s adamant choice of an Indian last name too strong? He gets a little impulsive if people contradict him when he thinks he is being reasonable. But I can always change that.

can i get
a complete list of pets,all i know of is a mouse a cat and a snake is there anything else i missed

@AllenGies: Murdering someone over a last name is a sign of James being an irrational psychopath. Now, granted, James has always been a bit of a dick, but this is a level of dickishness above and beyond that.

Yes, killing a man (or woman) for wanting a last name that reflects their cultural heritage is a bit much, wanting a Chinese name doesn’t cause him to enter a homicidal fury.

Fine by me , I always think of him as racist :slight_smile: and a bit of a psychopath, who sleeps on the coffin of his own brother >:) , marries an undertaker , maybe necrophiliac also

Well, I tried not getting a Indian first name and he still gets mad at me for the last name.

@Matteller -There is just the three. Mouse, Car, and Snake. I considered adding a dog but figured it would be too cliche. Also, the MC would try and take it on adventures and that would mean a great deal of additional writing for little gain.

@Ramidel Well, I’ll have to change that then. Marshal James is a bit disturbed, but not that much. I imagine he’ll get pissed at the MC for not following such basic direction, but since the MC has agreed to help he can’t be quite so choosy.

@stsword -I had originally thought Marshal James was trying to protect the MC by hiding a full blooded Indian Heritage. People are more accepting of mixed lineage on the frontier, or if people try to assimilate, but as I noted above, I took it too far.

@Pepper -That’s an interesting take on the man. He certainly is racist… which is to say he sees the races as intrinsically different. Most people did back then. What he shouldn’t be is bigoted in judging individuals solely by their criteria of their blood.

He certainly did marry an undertaker, but she saved his life, joined his cause, and gave him a great deal of joy that he would have missed out on otherwise. So, nothing strange there other than her chosen occupation.

Not sure where you get the idea that he sleeps in his brother’s coffin. That one went back to California. However, he did take a nap in a different coffin, ‘resting his eyes’ and remaining hidden from the townsfolk while he waited for the MC to arrive. Odd? Yes. Practical? That too.

Necrophiliac? Nope. He’s not that kind of Marshal. :wink:

So, I have to look up more Indian last names. Trouble is, I’ve been having some research difficulties with that. Perhaps I should be looking at something more like nick-names, instead of anything with a familial basis? That might allow me to get away from dreary historical documents and into something more factually pliable.

I’m not an expert, I don’t think surnames were a thing for most if any amerindian tribes, more likely to use an identifier as “son of or daughter of” or “of the so and so tribe or clan” if they were worried about being mistaken for someone with the same individual name, so yeah I think that the PC would just make something up.

For some reason, I want an option to choose a last name as an in joke about being hanged, perhaps a reference to the tarot card, perhaps a sly reference to Osiris, Odin, or Mithras for an Amerindian who is a lawyer or doctor who might have had a classical education?

Minor error: "That us because a minor noble can often leap over difficulties in war that would cause others to stumble.

Also, out of curiosity, is being able to select both native heritage and chinese heritage a bug or an intentional choice? Cause I like being able to select having both heritage and re-create Julia Chang in this game :slight_smile:

@AllenGies
Finished the game yesterday, i really enjoyed it, and i don’t usually appreciate western settings very much! Also, you were really good at creating a good kind of complexity, chapeau! Good luck with the midnight horror and other future projects :slight_smile:

@stsword - Interesting. That might be the best way to cut down on surnames. I do like a good hanging reference too. I’ll have to think on that.

@Grapefruit - Two good catches there. The typo and the fact that I didn’t lock out both Chinese and Indian at the same time. There will be some grammar errors if a player has both enabled. That definitely needs a fix. Thanks.

@FedeII - Glad you enjoyed it. Complexity was certainly a key element in constructing the game. Mind you, it made my brain hurt more than a few times while trying to put it all together, but that now seems worth the effort. :slight_smile:

is this still going? :smiley:

Its been released already…

perhaps that is why the drop box link takes me to “a midnight horror” he must have changed it or something :wink:

@jason_king - Yep. I’m testing a new and different game. Or trying to anyway. I’ll be happy when I move back to more familiar ground.

@AllenGies

Glad to see you are still testing updates.

Yep. Still adding content here and there. Less so just now. In a time/energy crunch. Wish Einstein was still alive.

I am thinking about how to add an African-American option to things. A ‘you are not merely passing as white enough for the frontier’ character option. That would change plenty of things from the opening onward.

1 Like

A big influence in my writing has passed on. He was the key publisher and writer of the Choose Your Own Adventure books; Raymond Montgomery.

1 Like

Thank you for still adding stuff to the game even after it’s been released. It’s really made Tin Star an amazing experience!