Tin Star testing

Marshall Hall was a Lawyer through and the through he took the law very seriously. Ironically I tried to take Steele alive but killed him then chose to motion to Carrie (I thought to leave) and she ended up shooting people lol I also chose the knife option and when hungry snake went for his knife I shot him to Carries shock lol (tbf I tried to play fair but he kept killing me)

any chance someone here can give a direct way to get the rattle snake pet?.. please?.. i really don’t know how to piss hartigan off in chapter 4 like somebody here said… and i cant flee from the pitue(?) indians in chapter 7 cuz i always beat them…

@AllenGies well it’s the 2nd time I’ve been there, the other time was when I was little, but I really enjoyed it, they do a gun show of what happened at the O.K. Corral & you see the actors in their black suits, like in the movie, I also got to go on a stagecoach & it gave a tour around the town and I got to see where wyatt earp lived, & went to boothill cemetary & i thought it was interestingofhow they put how they died, it was interesting to read it, & I also went into the mine which was pretty cool, I wish I got to stay there longer cus there is an advanced tour of the mine which where you have to crawl your way through spaces, I also got to goto the birdcage theater & you can see all the bullet holes in the ceiling, I loved it there, I think you would like it there, & the weather is really nice, & while I was there thats when I bought that marshal star cus I was thinking of tin star & while I was in the hotel I was playing it lol

Apparently it’s no longer possible to review google store stuff without making a google+ account, so I wanted to say here that Tin Star was one of if not the best ‘choice of’ game I’ve played yet. Not flawless - there were a couple bugs (I think) I ran into, and moments that felt awkwardly designed, but the game as a whole had a wonderful flow and diversity of choices, and I will definitely be eagerly awaiting your next game.

@daemonofrazgriz821

I haven’t actually gotten it myself, but from poring over the code, you have to:

1. Not adopt the mouse or cat early on.
  2. When meeting with Hartigan in chapter 4, promise:
    a. to stand aside when the stagecoach is attacked, OR
    b. not to resist for long, OR
    c. not to sink it in a lake.
  3. Go with the stagecoach, and:
    a. Fight off the gang
    b. ‘Outrun’ the gang by surviving until you reach Utah.
    c. Set off across the sands, and keep going until you have the option to push the wagon into the sand. (Not if you picked c. above, though)

Then, at the end of chapter 4, you should get a rattlesnake thrown into your office, which you can adopt as a pet.

1 Like

Hm. Though it looks like the actual results of getting there can be a little messy. I just tried out route c/a, and I just get “someone nails a still living rattlesnake The implication is clear; Hartigan has not taken his failure lightly.” It looks like the “About a week later” is supposed to be there, except that it’s only printed if you make promise 1 specifically.

One more bug I just ran into - sending a telegram to the secretary of the treasury in chapter 5 is only supposed to be possible if you’ve seen Yiska. It checks for this with the go_see_yiska variable. However, go_see_yiska is only set to 1 if you leave Preston Springs with the intention of meeting Yiska; if you leave to see Tumbleweed Jack and then pop over to Yiska while you’re in town, it sets you_have_seen_yiska instead, and you can’t send the telegram.

@Havenstone -Thank you. I am still ironing out some bugs (See below) but I am glad you are still able to enjoy the game.

@Nocturnal_Stillness -So, you and Miss Caraway had some communication issues. I will have to clarify what the gesture means in Chapter 5, but did her turning on you after you shot Hungry Snake make sense?

@MarvelousMatty -Sounds like a very fun trip. :slight_smile:

@Dominic That is some excellent feedback. I’ll take a look and see if I can’t fix all that and/or clarify the rattlesnake path. Perhaps I should include a test to see if a cat or mouse has been chosen and then, if not, offer the living rattlesnake up. Also, the telegram thing. I did a lot of research on the telegram system and would like people to actually be able to use that option.

@AllenGies

It would be easy to fix the telegram option if the choice to send the telegram to the treasurer checks you_have_seen_yiska = 1 instead of go_see_yiska; there’s no way for the former to be false if you’ve actually gone to see him.

What I wrote about the rattlesnake may have been slightly misleading, too - I -was,- in fact, able to adopt the rattlesnake by that path. The text there was just a little choppy, was the only problem.

I’ll see if I can write up something helpful about the other bugs I’ve encountered.

Chapter 6:

If you kill the Red Ribbon mining team, there are options in the code afterward to take back a wagon filled with valuables, furniture, or tools. They’re all inaccessible, however, as they require wagon_status = 0, when that variable is initialized at 7 and never changed except behind one of those options.

Interlude 4:

If you got a rattlesnake in chapter 4, you have a choice here between releasing it and naming it - despite the fact that you named it already, back in chapter 4.

Chapter 9:

Section fight_reginald_then_regina_on_the_train_4, if you choose to focus on the gang members beside him, refers to Hungry Snake instead of Reginald, in the result you get for high gunfighting. The result for having Caraway as a companion, amusingly, refers to “Hungry Reginald.”

Chapter 10:

I don’t know if this is a bug - it might just be a design choice that I don’t entirely get. But saying…much of anything, really, to the elder Upton seems to lock you out of an accommodation, to an extent that doesn’t seem too reasonable. Revealing that you -didn’t- kill his son/daughter angers him. Revealing that you arrested either of the kids improves ‘attitude,’ but also angers him. If you arrest both of his kids - something that you would think would give you a strong bargaining position - it just results in him saying that there accommodation ‘with the likes of you.’ Perhaps some of these choices shouldn’t be raising the ‘time’ variable, which you’re using to measure his anger at you?

Chapter 6, preston_springs_the_flood_2:

You appear to be using the “no_mule” variable here so that you can only intimidate/persuade people into helping build the levees once. Only the persuasion choice actually sets it, though - therefore, it’s possible to intimidate, then persuade, but not to persuade, then intimidate. This could be addressed simply with *set no_mule 1 after the intimidation line.

Chapter 9, confront_marshal_james_2

Even if the Mormons didn’t name you Scorpion, you can get the name here by telling Preston “Don’t blame me for doing what is in my nature” - and then immediately after his response of “Yeah, you’re a regular scorpion,” you can give the response intended for being named that earlier, “There is a reason some people call me the Scorpion.” That line probably shouldn’t be available if you only just earned the nickname that very moment.

How she reacted was expected. She was too on love to dump my ass tho lol

Schmidt’s response to a forcible seizure of the Red Ribbon mining camp as a prelude to honest and fair negotiations feels slightly incoherent

“Taking Anya and Randall’s camp… I’m glad no one died, but it was wrong. I was really glad to see the Newe get their due. Next time they come calling, Anya and Randall will have to treat them like people.”

Talking with Maria in chapter 5 can also yield somewhat incoherent results. “I am fascinated at how…liberated, the state of Nevada seems to be. Those such as ourselves are rarely afforded such an opportunity. In particular they are surprised at how you-” followed by another snippet based on your personality sliders. The “they are surprised” bit is copied over from the male line, where it follows a comment about the “people around here” - since women don’t get that line, it doesn’t really make a lot of sense.

Chapter 6:

If you chase after the Red Ribbon miners, you can get the ‘i_am_marshal’ variable (here indicating how upset/afraid Anya is) beyond a level that the code recognizes early on, if you shoot the whip out of her hand. It starts at 3, and if you answer “Why not?” when Randall says “Why you shoot at my wife?” it increases to 6. Anya’s introductory statement, though, only goes up to 5, with “Why do you vex us.”

Chapter 5:

The restrictions on what you can do with Tumbleweed Jack here don’t make a heck of a lot of sense. If you actually let him go (which the text says happens right there), you still have the option in the telegraph office to have him freed, sent to another prison, or tried and hung. If you intimidate him into giving you the answers that you want, it does not set the promise_to_tumbleweed_jack variable, and you’re limited to choices based on your previous interactions: a hanging, if you let him leave before (met = 4), prison if you arrested him after discovering the truth about who killed his brother (met = 2), or all 3 choices if you left out the back without dealing with him (met = 9).

I would tend to think that all three choices should be available unless you’ve already freed him.

@AllenGies so I wanted to know what would happen if you dated all 3 guys, & that one scene where you’re confronted by all 3 of them was hilarious! Could not stop laughing lol =))

All -three?- Pff. Try being confronted by all 5 potential love interests at once.

How do you get Preston? :-/

It can be a little tricky. There’s a hidden “preston_passion” variable for him that’s increased in scattered circumstances, mostly when you’re assertive around him in non-sociopathic ways. But the simplest solution is in chapter…six? Seven? When the dam breaks and the river threatens to flood.

If you successfully protect the town, he offers you a favor; one of your options is something along the lines of “You’re not going to like what I have to say.” Then you have to say you hate him (one of the first three options, several times, that sound negative), until the two of you exchange slaps, and then you can kiss him to start the romance.

It’s supposed to be kind of a…not sure what to call it, really, but romance emerging out of conflict thing, I believe.

You must save the town from the flood and he must know it. Then bad mouth him and don’t hold back, finally let yourself be slapped by Preston then kiss him.
I like the Caraway Sandwich with Yiska :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Dominic @Pepper So basically to get him. I need to insult him. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Caraway Sandwich with Yiska” :smiley: