Time again: NaNowrimo 2015

Okay, word count for the first two days of NaNoWriMo…

Actually, a slight proviso before that. I’m starting to realise how much time I spend talking about writing, rather than actually writing. So, a lot of the work around the the periphery of the actual writing - promo text, Kickstarter backer updates, planning documents etc. - I’m not going to count as part of my NaNoWriMo total, even though it’s all eating up quite a bit of time just now.

Which almost certainly means I’m not going to hit my 50K target. But I live in hope.

So, my total for the first two days of NaNoWriMo: 403 words.

Yeah. Suck on that, world.

1 Like

That was exactly my experience. I kept thinking, “How do I convey the vibe of my game in 30 characters??” I was constantly messing around with words and short phrases that I thought would be attention-getting. I felt like I was SEO-stuffing emails from Nigeria.

Okay, back to the main purpose of the thread. I wrote about 800 words of plot last night (no code though).

Update time!

Just got back from the first local write-in and it was possibly even more amazing than last year. I even got some advice on how to design a book cover with photo-shop :grin:
If you ever get the opportunity to attend to a write-in somewhere near you, please do. How much fun it is probably varies from location to location and person to person, but I’m having a blast just discussing random things with my fellow NaNo-ers in person. (I’m not saying we actually get a lot of work done, but that’s hardly the purpose :wink: )

As for my progress, things are going swimmingly. My NaNo story is currently 15.177 words long, which means I’m now officially one day ahead of my self-imposed even more impossible schedule than usual (aiming for 75.000 words this year, since I finished on day 23 last year and thus pretty much missed a week of the fun).

Obligatory word-count widget to make it seem more official:

Total word count for the first six days of NaNoWriMo 2015: about 1900.

So, it’s going slowly. Yet I’m feeling curiously happy with what I’m writing.

Laterz, peeps.

I am falling behind as it is hit and miss when I am able to write. This weekend is a loss might make a few hundred words but having to hightail it to Alabama. If traffic not to bad might get some writing done tomorrow.

Managed a three hundred words or so tonight. Working on the early flashback before they know or figure out what truly happen before the ship blew up. Working on giving small clues, their choices will decide if they were a coward or one of the other endings. Tieing it into oxygen use, battery lfe, and signal strength.

Of course once NaNowrimo is over will have a lot of weaving together to do as some of the story deals with the rescue ship and I would say half deals with being alone. Will need to sit down and figure out what the best approach will be to talking to one’s self will be handle.

I believe there will five ways to die. Two will be out of your control. One will be your choice if you are in comand of your senses. One will happen if you break. The last one will be a random event.

1 Like

Today was either relatively unproductive or rather productive for me depending on how you look at it. I only wrote 452 words today since I had to go to the 80th birthday of an aunt of my father since he was unable to go there himself.

On the positive side, my aunt was interested in my stories and she agreed to read my NaNo-novel of last year, so it looks like I’ll finally be getting some feedback on that. It’s pretty darn difficult to find people who like to read English books around here, since it’s not the (or even a) official national language. (as in not actually spoken by your average person on a day-to-day basis)

Cecilia, I’d happily swap books with you for editing-ness. Just say when.

One NaNo year I went to an all-nighter write-in at a small town called Collector. It’s half an hour out of Canberra, so not a big deal…right?

That entire town is terrifying.

First off, I arrived at the town around 9pm on a moonless night. There were no streetlights, and apparently no-one was awake because all the houses were dark too. The only well-lit building was the pub, which for some reason still had all its Halloween decorations still a-dangling three weeks later (in Australia, not many people celebrate Halloween at all).

Something loomed out of the shadows and I jerked backwards, knowing it couldn’t possibly be a woman’s face just standing next to the road, staring, with her mouth gaping in a silent scream. But I had to look again. She had wild, looping hair, frozen as it lifted in a non-existent blast of wind. There were other things all around her: not-quite-faces and not-quite hands, all of them huge and heavy and pitted and grey.

The small town of Collector has an artist. Specifically, a sculptor.

It was art. Just art.

It was almost worse to learn that the artist is hated (especially by our host, who lives next door to him) throughout the town, that the sculpture is made of rubbish and is structurally unstable as well as a tetanus hazard, and that the artist’s son died of cancer. The sculpture may or may not be about that heart-wrenching grief.

When I finally found the hall where we were writing, it turned out that only half of the building had working lights. Immediately outside the warped wooden door there was a dead rabbit, just lying on the dirt like a gift. Or a sacrifice. To what, I couldn’t say.

So yeah, a great night. Highly recommended.

Oddly enough, I never did go to another write-in.

But I did go back to see the sculpture… when it was light.

2 Likes

That’d be awesome! (And in all honesty, I’d pegged you for someone who’d offer something like that if I semi-asked.) It’ll have to wait until after NaNo is finished though.

Of course you could give my part of the forum community game a spin before that if you happen to be bored :wink: I sure don’t mind some feedback.

Edit:
Awesome story by the way. As creepy as the whole thing might’ve been, it sure sounds like a memorable experience at least. It’s a good thing the write-in closest to me is during the daylight hours :grin:

1 Like

I ended up having my characters climb the sculpture (as it was on fire and collapsing) in the climax.

1 Like

There’s a great NaNo calendar at http://writerswrite.co.za/november-is-nanowrimo, plus other inspiring things.

The calendar features stuff like “Do. Not. Panic.” and “Do you hate your MC yet?”

Looking forward to what the other, actually interactive fiction writing, participants will come up with though.

Today I’ve got some good news, and some bad news.

The good news: I’m currently writing the epilogue of this year’s NaNoWriMo story. :tada:
The bad news: I’m currently writing the epilogue of this year’s NaNoWriMo story. :sob:

Sure it’s nice to actually manage to finish something, but I kinda miscalculated the amount of words it’d take to write out this year’s story idea. I mean I’ve currently got 32685 words written, and I’ll probably reach the 33000 words, but that was not what I was aiming for. It is a bit frustrating, to be honest. I should really try to write something longer next year.

Now on to my story’s conclusion, and my backup plan. :racehorse: (I’m still in the process of making one up, so if you’ve got any ideas, bring it on!)

2 Likes

I find my stories get a LOT longer in edits.

Or maybe a sequel?

Also? WOW! A whole story! And 33,000 words in two weeks! That is awesome!!

I really like using a lot of words to describe things, so in edits my stories tend to either get shorter or stay at about the same length. (and besides, my goal of the month is 75000 words, so that’s not going to cut it.)

The sequel was my initial backup plan, but I’ve already written that as well :expressionless: (it’s included in the current wordcount). Part 1 was just under 25000 words.

Day 13 of NaNoWriMo…

Total word count so far: approx 3200 words.

We’re cooking on gas, now.

I’ve now officially started on plan C, which is writing interactive fiction using ChoiceScript. (Big surprise :expressionless:)

It’s titled: Project Hairball

I’ll leave you to guess what it’s about.

@Cecilia_Rosewood
Well, the only thing I know of which produces hairballs are these little demons that like to pretend to be household pets in order to get closer to their victims. So a demon game?

Wow, you’re so close :scream_cat:

I posted my progress on my NaNoWriMo Project Hairball on the forum, because why not, so if you’re curious what I’ve been up to for the last five-and-a-half days feel free to check it out.

Here’s the link: Project Hairball (or: NaNoWriMo project plan C)