This could turn sensitive, but let’s try not to argue with each other. I’m interested in knowing what issues or portrayals, in a game, will make you - just you - so uncomfortable that you might not continue playing it.
This isn’t a commentary on the actual worth of the games. Several people had instinctive bad reactions to the recent WIP that mimicked spam, but is actually a creative idea by a legitimate coder. Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus are beloved games that deal with rape and misogyny, which some people won’t want to read about whatever the context of the story.
So, what do you not like to see in a game? What will make you abandon a game completely, or make you hesitant unless the subject is dealt with respectfully? They can be reasonable philosophical objections, pet peeves, whatever.
I’ve made a short list of stuff that makes me write off games or be leery about them:
- Rape as drama
- Child abuse, drug addiction, sex work, suicide, or other movie-of-the-week topics being used to prove a character is “on the wrong path” without doing any research about what these things are like
- Medieval settings, as glorifying the dark ages of Europe often leads to some horribly ignorant social concepts
- Medieval settings, because I am far too harsh on them because of some unpleasant associations with Middle Ages re-enactors
- Elf and dwarf-based fantasy, because I find Tolkien boring
- Racist or sexist caricatures for no other reason than because the author took them for granted as true (Includes things like “dressing up like Indians for Halloween” and “the bimbo was so happy to be the secretary” without acknowledging how things got that way.)
- Alternate universes that change one minor thing and extrapolate silly consequences from it.
- Romance options that are two-dimensional, customizable, sleep with you, then disappear. Or who are your sidekick other than one brief night of passion that is never acknowledged.
- Messages about the correct way to live that I disagree with. E.g., atheists are doomed to misery, non-monogamy will lead to horrible and inevitable consequences for breaking universal rules, bisexuals are silly and cannot be trusted, the military is sacred.
Good luck in keeping this going without starting any arguments about who ought to be bothered by what.