These Reluctant Years (WIP) - Last updated: August 11th, 2021

The demo for my third game is finally in a presentable state! In this story-game, you will have the opportunity to control two main characters and steer them throughout their journeys within the Colonies, an island controlled by the authoritarian Sovereignty. One of your characters is the second child of a noble family, and the other can be part of one of three unique peoples. You will witness the oppression of your nation firsthand, and choose whether you want to end it forever or perpetuate the cycle of tyranny. Whatever you choose, know that the world will be forever changed by the actions you take during These Reluctant Yearsā€¦

In These Reluctant Years, you can:

• Play as non-binary (including custom pronouns), trans, or cis.
  • Be gay, straight, bisexual, asexual, or aromantic.
  • Play as one of those exiled from the Mainland centuries ago, or a seal-like or deer-like people.
  • Romance a fiery revolutionary, a fashionable socialite, a casual soldier, a cruel nobleman, or the other player character.
  • Meet new friends, lovers, and enemies from all walks of life.
  • Explore the rich lore and past of the worldā€™s history, religion, and geography in the library section of the stats screen.
  • Side with the radicals or traditionalists in a battle for the Coloniesā€™ future.

CONTENT WARNING

This game contains transphobia, homophobia, misgendering, bullying, xenophobia, imperialist rhetoric, sexism, scenes of colonization, violence/death, cursing, sex, and verbal/physical abuse. None of this content is included to excuse or apologize for the ongoing legacies of slavery, imperialism, and colonization or the oppression of LGBTQIA+ peoples/people of color. These are real, present issues and though the main character can participate in the further oppression/colonization of those they encounter, there will be serious, long-lasting consequences to themselves, those around them, and their legacies.

Changelog

February 8th, 2021: Initial upload.

February 24th, 2021:

• Lowered entry requirements to get into Gensburg College.
  • Completed MC1ā€™s introduction.
  • Began MC2ā€™s introduction (exile only).
  • Added more neutral options to early decisions.

March 26th, 2021:

• Completed the exile MC2ā€™s introduction.
  • Fixed assorted coding/grammar mistakes.
  • Added the chapter header for Introduction 2C.
  • Finally added the map to the library.

April 9th, 2021:

• All introductions for MC2 are completed.
  • Various grammar, spelling, and continuity errors corrected.
  • Added character customization.

April 27th, 2021:

• Chapter 1 completed.
  • Added a quick-start option for those who only want to play the new content.

May 25th, 2021:

• Chapter 2 completed.
  • Romance interactions between characters and MC2.
  • Updated quick-start to include a jump to chapter 2.

June 29th, 2021:

• Chapter 3 completed.
  • Romance interactions between characters and MC1.
  • Itā€™s finally time to pick a side!

August 11th, 2021

• Chapter 4 completed.
  • Romance interactions between characters and MC2.

Word count (including code):
Introduction 1 = 91,516
Stats page = 6,191
Introduction 2A: 27,226
Introduction 2B: 27,944
Introduction 2C: 28,300
Chapter 1: 34,635
Chapter 2: 48,082
Chapter 3: 96,582
Chapter 4: 113,913

Total: 474,389

GAME LINK: These Reluctant Years
TUMBLR
PATREON

NOTE: This is a game about relationships, and because of this, there will be no skills. This does NOT mean that your actions do not have consequences, though. Every action can positively or negatively influence your reputation with a group or individual. Additionally, you must make specific choices to develop a high relationship value with a romantic interest.

This is not a game where you can meet someone and then bed them on the next page.

It is also not a game that will be terribly exciting to re-play if you mess with the code in order to make yourself the best person ever that everybody is in love with ā€“ no one is perfect, so please keep that in mind.

Please feel free to tell me any thoughts, concerns, or questions you may have. I would also like to thank everyone who has supported me in any way during my last projects!

555 Likes

From the description, this seems like it will be a really good COG. You had me at ā€œIt is also not a game that will be terribly exciting to re-play if you mess with the code in order to make yourself the best person ever that everybody is in love with ā€“ no one is perfect, so please keep that in mind.ā€ Itā€™s more realistic that way. Though I am guilty of this from time to time :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Thank you very much ā€“ I hope you enjoy it!

Lol! I have no problem with people modding my games, in principle. I suppose Iā€™m a little salty about readers who exclusively use pirated versions with perfect stats and then write tons of reviews about how boring things are, though. Of course itā€™s boring, everyone loves you!

Thank you again for the post! (:

8 Likes

As long as the player is not forced to play a certain way then i will try it i like having the freedom to play the way i want and choose to do what i want since i donā€™t really believe in good and evil they are all just points of view.

17 Likes

Thatā€™s fair! I donā€™t really measure consequences in those terms, anyway. Itā€™s more likeā€¦ if you are a racist, sexist, all-around terrible person that no one likes, no one is going to be on your side when it really counts. Consequences are triggered by how you act, and your personality stats can give you different ways to act, but ultimately you will be judged by how you treat others.

25 Likes

Terrible person that is a point of view i consider myself in the grey or mercenary mind set i am not really good or bad i just do what i feel like in the moment. Like i am not going to stick my neck out for people unless i am going to get something out of it.

2 Likes

Personally? I found the difference in treatment depending on gender amazingly written, it helped me to really sink into the story, well Iā€™m hooked already, letā€™s take down those fucking tyrants!!

20 Likes

I loved this story! I think itā€™s really interesting. My one quibble is that some of the dialogue from the other NPC characters was very distracting. I donā€™t think you need to emphasize the dialects and peculiarities as much as youā€™re doing - sometimes a little goes a long way. There are a few guides on the internet about this - hereā€™s just one guide: How to Write Accents and Dialects: 6 Tips | Now Novel.

Other than that small thing, I absolutely loved what Iā€™ve read so far. The characters are fascinating and I love the family dynamics youā€™ve set up. I felt like I was actually role-playing my character which I donā€™t always feel when Iā€™m reading a CoG game. Iā€™m really curious about what will happen next. Looking forward to the next update!

16 Likes

Quick question, will it be possible to romance characters that are more Foe than Friend? I realize tracking a separate affection variable will be more work but it could lead to some unique character interactions. For example, my MC and LĆ”zaro Goldendoor didnā€™t get off to a good start with him insulting their grandfather, and they arenā€™t one for all of the killing talk. Might be an interesting dynamic to explore.

I love this response btw: ā€œMaybe I just donā€™t like you, huh?ā€ I reply.

6 Likes

This was good! And I must ask have you played Greedfall because quite alot of this story feels like it was inspired by it?
And there is another pc story to be added right? I canā€™t wait to see it

4 Likes

Iā€™m impressed. Not to undermine other peopleā€™s works but I found this little story to be a breath of fresh air amidst the more common troupes of this forum. I like that you arenā€™t afraid of touching darker themes, and I think it makes the experience all the more authentic.

The lore can be a bit overwhelming at first, especially when you jump into the finer details without reading the information available in the Library section of the stat page. But as you read the story, you start to get a grasp over what the society is, how it works, and all its branches and beliefs.

I am very happy that you decided to get rid of the traditional stat system as a whole. One of my biggest conundrums when playing these games is that I always end up trapped with the min-max mentality, going for the choices that improve my ā€œchosenā€ stats, just so I can get the optimal outcome in the story. Without said stats, I am free to roleplay my choices without the underlining feeling that Iā€™m ā€œmissing outā€. This allows the story and my MC to develop in a more natural, realistic way, and as a consequence, I feel more engrossed over what is happening and the characters themselves.

I donā€™t know if this is a direct consequence from the ā€œstat-freeā€ approach above, but I noticed the choices presented feel more natural than in some WIPs Iā€™ve played in the past. We are not trying to accumulate points to fit into a stereotypical or thematic role that is so common in these games. (Iā€™m talking about the infamous trio of routes - Physical vs Intelligence vs Charismatic; Warrior, vs Mage vs Rogue - sort of deal.) Youā€™re not doing that, or at least itā€™s not blatantly obvious. I approve.

If I had to point out anything less positive, it would be that the grammatical structure felt a bit convoluted in certain places and could use a little refinement. (Also, Iā€™m not sure what this extra PC entails but Iā€™m not a big fan of controlling two characters at once. I like when the focus is on my MC or, for brief moments, when the PoV shifts to depict what another character is witnessing or thinking.)

That aside, this shows great promise and its definitely getting on my watch list! :slight_smile:

PS: Forgot to add but if the story is going to contain more adult themes further down the road then you may want to consider creating a NSFW thread in the respective section of the forum.

18 Likes

This feels like a better written version of greedfall, I dig it.

3 Likes

Just finished this. It was a lot of fun! The worldbuilding is really well done. At first, the lore can be confusing, but the more you know the more you want to know more about them! I am really impressed by how rich it is.

I, too, love the stat-free approach. I think I get too focused trying to do the ā€œrightā€ action/option when the stat is the focus. Itā€™s refreshing to be able to focus solely on the interaction. All the characters are very interesting too, so far, and are all very complex in their own way. I definitely am looking forward to seeing how our first MC and our second MC will meet and interact!

While I donā€™t really like my father or brother (Iā€™m playing as NB MC and theyā€™reā€¦ them) I wonder if we will see more of them? Frankly I wonder what my brother is angsting about re: my mother.

Iā€™m just wondering if there will be a saving system in the future update. I think it can be really helpful! Also, do you have a Ko-Fi page? Would love to be able to support in some way!

Wonderful demo, looking forward to more!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s fair, and there are definitely characters in this story that share your point of view.

Thank you!

LƔzaro, is that you?? :thinking:

Might you be able to give me more specifics? Like character names, if youā€™re able to parse out their speech at all, etc.

Wow, really?! Thank you ā€“ on my last few games, people would tell me that they wanted more variation in dialogue responses, so Iā€™ve tried to think of more ways for readers to ā€œget into characterā€. Iā€™m glad itā€™s working out for you!

I think Iā€™m going to have MC1 go and meet the Frontiersmen Corps squad theyā€™ll be travelling with, and then work on the introductions for MC2 on a per-culture basis.

Possibly, but I donā€™t think every potential romance option would go for it. Belvidere and Prudence might be up for a love-to-hate-you kind of thing as long as you donā€™t keep insulting them or hurt them. Without spoilersā€¦ Laz and Blythe are special cases that I probably wonā€™t write a hate-mance for. With them, such a relationship would fall into grocery store checkout line-tier romance novel levels of problematic tropes.

Their relationship stats are set up so they oppose each other ā€“ you cannot have a good relationship with both.

That is guaranteeing your acceptance to the Academy of the Fellowship, not Sovereignā€™s Refuge University. Both institutions operate in the same city, which is worded a little confusingly, I admit. Iā€™ll make it a little clearer in future updates!

The Fellowship Academy acts as sort of a ā€œfall backā€ option in case your characterā€™s stats wonā€™t let them matriculate to SRU or GC. Are you considered a deviant by society but also lean heavily traditionalist? That might make it so you are barred from entry into SRU and wouldnā€™t be accepted into GC.

Thanks! Is ā€œGreedfallā€ a video game? Iā€™ve never heard of it, before! What about These Reluctant Years reminds you of it, if you donā€™t mind me asking? I might want to pivot some story beats if there are too many coincidences.

Yes! MC2 can be a seal person like Harper, a deer person like Boaz, or one of the Wildfolk.

Thank you for your appreciation ā€“ I donā€™t want to shy away from the realities (in our world, too!) of gender/racial/sexuality discrimination.

Yes ā€“ Iā€™m also setting it up so you wonā€™t get the same description two or three times if a concept is introduced at different potential points. For example, if you saw the Faceless Guard at the Icebreaking, you wonā€™t get their whole spiel when they show up again.

This is perhaps a consequence of me writing the introductions for the two main characters as formative experiences in their wider lives. The things they say and do now will influence what they have the option of doing (well, doing and succeeding) later. Iā€™ll totally give you the option to try to side with the radicals if you are a die-hard traditionalist that nobody likes, but donā€™t be surprised if they shoot you on sight.

How do you mean? Are you referring to the accents, like the other poster, or something else? Narrative obtuseness is sometimes intentional, but Iā€™ll be the first to acknowledge that I am a very verbose writer, lol!

Thank you so much! (:

I donā€™t think the themes Iā€™m tackling are necessarily NSFW, even if they are ā€œadultā€. I will totally keep this in mind, though, if people want to have a dedicated place to talk about NSFW topics.

Youā€™re the second person whoā€™s compared it to that, actually! Thank you for your support!

You can probably tell that I love writing folktale-type stories, haha!

Iā€™m going to try and set it up so there will be a few parallels. Time-wise, though, theyā€™re going to meet during MC1ā€™s journey into the Uncharted Territories with the Frontiersmen.

You might be wishing to see less of them in later chapters! (;

There was supposed to be one available, already! Whoops, I guess I set it up wrong in startup.txtā€¦ Iā€™ll fix it for the next update, for sure! Thanks for letting me know.

I actually literally just set up a Patreon and Tumblr! Iā€™m totally fine with interacting on whatever platform people are comfortable with, and Iā€™ve noticed that a lot of readers like to engage with writers on Tumblr. If you want to support me in a different way, Iā€™m planning on releasing a bunch more of those ā€œloreā€ style posts on Patreon.

Thank you for the kind words! ^ _ ^

Yes, your personality and relationships influence where you are able to attend.

MC1ā€™s father went to SRU, not their grandfather. Iā€™ve been trying to make it clear in the text that there is always going to be someone paying attention to what MC1 is doing purely because of their precarious situation in Society. When applying to colleges, especially, I tried to imply that either of the Abners is in contact with whoever is vetting applications at SRU and GC. Do you have any suggestions about how I could make this clearer? Thanks!

2 Likes

it was an interesting story- and the characters were certainly intriguing.

error?

so many exclamation marks-

1 Like

Love it
main

2 Likes

I really agree with that! That dynamic of ā€˜we donā€™t get along but also hey youā€™re cute thoā€™ would be a really fun to explore, especially in a game about relationships!

6 Likes

ā€œMy name is none of your fucking business,ā€ best line so far.

4 Likes

Yes Greedfall is an openworld fantasy RPG made a few years ago. And you play a noble character sent by your dying mother to a recently(last 50 years or so) island to find a cure for a plague and to take up a life there away from the mainland. It is a very colonialist themed game where 3 nations(yours included) do what they can to subjugate the locals(a type of nature people with strange magic) and find a cure.

2 Likes

Is corporal Pri sympathetic towards the radicals?
I ask because she is part of the corps that apparently lead the slavers into more unknown territory, but she also attended the meeting by Laz a couple of years back. Now I donā€™t know if sheā€™s a sympathizer or an infiltrated agentā€¦

I got a suspicious feeling towards her by the end of the demo. Maybe its unfoundedā€¦

2 Likes