The demo for my third game is finally in a presentable state! In this story-game, you will have the opportunity to control two main characters and steer them throughout their journeys within the Colonies, an island controlled by the authoritarian Sovereignty. One of your characters is the second child of a noble family, and the other can be part of one of three unique peoples. You will witness the oppression of your nation firsthand, and choose whether you want to end it forever or perpetuate the cycle of tyranny. Whatever you choose, know that the world will be forever changed by the actions you take during These Reluctant Years…
In These Reluctant Years, you can:
- Play as non-binary (including custom pronouns), trans, or cis.
- Be gay, straight, asexual, or aromantic.
- Play as one of those exiled from the Mainland centuries ago, or a seal-like or deer-like people.
- Romance a fiery revolutionary, a fashionable socialite, a casual soldier, a cruel nobleman, or the other player character.
- Meet new friends, lovers, and enemies from all walks of life.
- Explore the rich lore and past of the world’s history, religion, and geography in the library section of the stats screen.
- Side with the radicals or traditionalists in a battle for the Colonies’ future.
This game contains transphobia, homophobia, misgendering, bullying, xenophobia, imperialist rhetoric, sexism, scenes of colonization, violence/death, cursing, sex, and verbal/physical abuse. None of this content is included to excuse or apologize for the ongoing legacies of slavery, imperialism, and colonization or the oppression of LGBTQIA+ peoples/people of color. These are real, present issues and though the main character can participate in the further oppression/colonization of those they encounter, there will be serious, long-lasting consequences to themselves, those around them, and their legacies.
February 8th, 2021: Initial upload.
February 24th, 2021:
- Lowered entry requirements to get into Gensburg College.
- Completed MC1’s introduction.
- Began MC2’s introduction (exile only).
- Added more neutral options to early decisions.
Word count (including code):
Introduction 1 = 90,969
Stats page = 6,034
Introduction 2C: 5,714
NOTE: This is a game about relationships, and because of this, there will be no skills. This does NOT mean that your actions do not have consequences, though. Every action can positively or negatively influence your reputation with a group or individual. Additionally, you must make specific choices to develop a high relationship value with a romantic interest.
This is not a game where you can meet someone and then bed them on the next page.
It is also not a game that will be terribly exciting to re-play if you mess with the code in order to make yourself the best person ever that everybody is in love with – no one is perfect, so please keep that in mind.
Please feel free to tell me any thoughts, concerns, or questions you may have. I would also like to thank everyone who has supported me in any way during my last projects!