These Reluctant Years (WIP) - Last updated: August 11th, 2021

All right, I added it in!

I’m not sure I quite understand your question, unfortunately. ): I just checked, and it looks like the save slots are working for me. Maybe try switching from mobile to desktop or trying to open the demo in a different browser if you still cannot get them to function?

Or maybe… maybe something will happen that will render it inconsequential…? Who’s to say?

That sounds like it could be the case, though as far as I know the second dialogue should have triggered if you had 4 or greater squad camaraderie AND more than 50 relationship with Prudence, regardless of order in the *if block.

Yes – this option only appears if you know MC2’s name, and also functions as a sort of “neutral/normal person response” option that I try to include in every choice block. I don’t like to have those choices alter stats too much because they’re supposed to be more “neutral”.

Oof, not sure how I missed that! It’s fixed now, though.

Indeed it should!

Great catch!

Not this time! Those are pretty extreme options, and I wanted to reflect that by having them be unavailable to someone that has expressed a few traditionalist ideas in the past, but isn’t fully “RAH RAH KILL EVERYONE THAT ISN’T ME”. It’s also just about the only way to represent choices with the appropriate gravity in the requisite two-or-three-variable-per-line code.

Fixed!

I meant that more as flavor text than anything else because the choice block looked sparse with only two options, lol.

Right! It should be corrected, now.

“Liege” is interchangeable with “Lord/Lady”, yes.

She was supposed to be saying good-bye to MC2 in this dialogue, so I fixed the name value instead of the tense.

Every little bit helps me improve! (:

6 Likes

I mean, there are save slots but sometimes if you play another wip, that wip have the same saves, like they are sharing it?
Idk how to explain it :crying_cat_face::thinking:

1 Like

This is something that happens when the game doesn’t have a custom name in the save plug-in I believe, or something like that? I know some authors had the issue.
But it’s weird, because this specific game never shared save slots with any other game to me?

Though, if I may add my opinion, I would love to have more save slots. I like saving on multiple slots, and quite often slot 1 doesn’t work well on my end, so that leaves only 2 slots.

1 Like

That sounds like a very frustrating bug, but it’s one that I unfortunately wouldn’t have any control over. The save system that the hosting site uses is not something I can mess with or edit in any way (even if I could, it would be beyond me).

Really? That sounds like it might be plausible, though I hadn’t heard of it before now.

Me, neither. Though I usually play works in progress on mobile, so perhaps that has something to do with it? That’s really my best (and unfortunately only) guess.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that being a traditionalist with MC2 is very different from being a traditionalist with MC1. With MC1 he is very much a radical but MC2 they’re very much a traditionalist.

2 Likes

Actually.

It’s this line, and you definitely do have control over it:
*sm_init mygame | 3
More accurately, the word ”mygame”; that’s the keyword for the saves; every game that used the same keyword shares saves (okay, maybe ”keyword” is not the technically correct term, but it’s the word that is the key here). You need to change it to something unique to your game (e.g. ”these-reluctant-years” or something.)

3 Likes

nope, I offically give up. Nope. I got so far but then the saves… I’m gonna take a break. Because otherwise I will want to throw my computer against the wall

Edit: after the break I will very likely come back though because this is really good

1 Like

If I may make a suggestion, for this game or really, any other on the forums and also finished CoG/HG games, you should write down every single choice you make. That way, if you have to restart for any reason, you just have to open whatever notepad document you used for writing these choices down, and you can just fly over the entire thing up to the moment you were at, without having to actually think about what you’re doing.
I do that for all the games I play, which allows me to not only keep track and notice if new choices were added, but also to skip quickly to new content.

DashingDon can be unstable generally speaking, not to mention these are demos and changes can break saves too. And finished games don’t allow saving nor going back, so if you make a mistake you have to restart. To me, writing things down have been a life saver and something I couldn’t play without.

3 Likes

that would help imensely here. I’m going to start doing that now

2 Likes

Do you mean that the “traditionalist” responses are notably different between MC1 and MC2’s introductions? That’s because the definition of “traditionalism” changes somewhat depending on which background an MC is coming from.

Call me superstitious, but I don’t think I’m going to mess with this if it’s all the same to everyone else… I’m afraid I’ll jinx something by changing it up.

Were you having the same problem with saves “crossing over” as the other user? I’m afraid I don’t understand. ):

Thank you!

I’ve tried to avoid the slog of choosing the same options every time a work in progress updates by including a quick-start option in my games once the story proper gets going. Like I say in-game, though, the game is not designed around this feature, it will not be included in the final product, and it could very possibly break certain parts. This might be a good thing to do if you want to avoid how finicky the quick-start option can be.

There is unfortunately little I can do about new updates “breaking” one’s save files. I tend to update every chapter or so, which is looking like it will be once per month for this particular story-game, so I would say to anticipate some more “breakage” in the future. I’m sorry it happens, but it’s out of my control. ):

I’m glad you’ve found a favorable work-around! (:

2 Likes

Don’t worry about all the save issues, I don’t mind that much considering I replay from start with each update anyway :rofl:
So even if saves break that won’t change much for me, and I don’t use quick start options either so eh

2 Likes

yeah, what konoi said don’t worry too much about the saves. It’s still the same thing that was happening before with the stats. And I was just thinking it was cool how cultures differed with the traditionalist vs radical view. That was what was up with that comment.

1 Like

I’m usually the same way when I do a play-through, but some people like to skip right to the new content, so I include the option just so everyone can play the way they want to. (:

Darn! I hope the issue somehow fixes itself, then.

Oh, I see. Thank you!

2 Likes

i really enjoyed the effort you put forward to create differences in how trans people and women are treated in this. i know not everyone enjoys reading that and would prefer to avoid it, but i found it to be a nice change of pace

4 Likes

This is the first time Miles_D has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!

Firstly, welcome! (:

Thank you! I never like to shy away from realities (however dismissive some people may be of them) in my writing. Especially in a story-game like this, where Society explicitly treats people differently (badly) based on one’s gender, class, and sexuality.

EDIT:
The supplementary lore series “Travelogue of a Faithful Woman” just concluded over on my Patreon page. It is sort of a personal log/epistolary format about a Mainlander woman who travels to the Colonies as a missionary. She encounters all of the unique peoples that live there, and ends up learning much more than she ever expected from them.

The next lore series (lasting all of May) will be about the Heroic religious minority. They’ve been mentioned a few times in-text and in this thread, but never really from the perspective of a “good citizen of the Sovereignty”, so to speak. If that sounds like something you would be interested in following/reading, then please consider becoming a patron. You can also just join at the end of the month if you would rather not wait for the story to be accessible serially.

2 Likes

I’ve played through the demo a few times now and I love it, especially the worldbuilding and dialogue between characters. I wanted to point out a small error I found in the newest update:

In the hideout

“You’ve doubtlessly noticed the new face in our midst. Hey, would you mind stepping forward?” he continues. Eirikr takes a few steps toward Freeman and Belvidere so they can see her better.

I think the bolded word should be “him”, as Eirikr/MC2 was selected to have he/him pronouns.

2 Likes

I had the same problem only with my MC2 having they/them pronouns and referring to them as her like you.

1 Like

Thank you! (:

Fixed! It will go into effect in the next update.

Would you happen to remember where this happened (other than the example quoted by lynx)?

There is a new update available for the members of my Patreon page! This update will be accessible by the public one week from today. In the update, I’ve completed chapter 2 (including romance interactions between MC2 and other characters), fixed some spelling/grammar and continuity errors, and written some 45,000 more words.

There are also weekly developer insights that I’ve started doing and new lore/supplementary content that I’m adding constantly, so if that sounds like something you would be interested in, consider becoming a patron!

9 Likes

it’s the same place where it Lynx had it.

1 Like