The Worst Young Adult Novels You've Read

I still read some YA books and I can say that now that I’m older, I can certainly see some problems with a lot of them even if I enjoy them.

Maximum Ride was a pretty good book trilogy when I was younger even though I tend to prefer reading from a guys point of view. I would still have liked the series if they had kept it as a trilogy rather than extending it with :poop:.

Even so, looking back on some of the books I’ve read makes me feel like re-reading some of my favorites like The Ranger’s Apprentice series, Leviathan series, etc.

I should read more “grown-up” books though. Anyone know a good suspense mystery, fantasy, or supernatural one? Preferably without any making out in it (or worse).

One of the best series and fantasy ones I have ever read was Eragon by Chris Palini. Man that series is only 4 books but Sheesh at minimum 500 words it’s really huge with lots of lore about dragons and elves and such. I highly recommend it. The books are Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and Inheritance being the fourth book

I would recommend reading The Island by Victoria Bislop. It’s a historical book about Greece before and during World War II (even though it’s technically set in the present) about the island of Spinalonga, which was used as a leper colony. There is a bit of romance in it as it tells the story of several generations, but it’s not the focus at all. :slight_smile:

We have a Books discussion thread which may be a better place to ask for books that aren’t the worst young adult novels you’ve read.

@moonwalkerdragon. Are you secretly my mortal enemy?

I’ll duel you with pistols for real. I’m getting out my glove to slap you with.

Theres a book series called Were-world that I actually like but the more i read it the more i relised that it was Game of Thrones for younger people.

I loved the Howls Moving Castle book and was so disappointed in the movie. It just wasn’t the same and it stripped away all of Sophie’s magic.

I loved the movie to be honest (probably because I was babysitting my niece at the time, and it got her off of endless marathons of the Tinkerbell movie). And then I picked up the book, and spent the entire time yelling “OH NOW THAT MAKES SENSE”.

Now I’m trying to convince everyone else I know to read the books, because they are much, much better.

The movie was great. I mean, it’s Miyazaki. But plot-wise it doesn’t really gel with the book.

Just realized that The Chronicles of Narnia are considered YA after reading the older posts. I’ve always thought that they were children’s books, on the same level as Harry Potter… Anyway, since now I know, I’ll have to add The Last Battle to my list of disliked books. I remember being in grade school and rereading the part where the train crashed and everyone sans Susan went to Heaven and going, “Huh??”

And then there’s A Thousand Pieces Of You by Claudia Gray, and the sequel Ten Thousand Skies Above You. I haven’t read the third book yet so I don’t have an opinion on it, but I am already dreading it after peeking at the first chapter. It’s redeeming feature is that the covers are drop-dead gorgeous, though. The only reason why I even bothered buying the trilogy in the first place.

I see lots of hate for The Fault in Our Stars here, wow! I thought it was ok. Not great. Just ok. Something I’m not so interested to read again.
I did think Looking for Alaska was much better.

A series I didn’t see mentioned was the Uglies series. Did anyone read that? It was…hmm, ok? There were some ideas I really liked, but it got bogged down by cliches and strange world-building. The fourth book in the trilogy (???) definitely didn’t need to exist.

I only ever read one chapter of Twilight (after being told by a Twilight fan that my opinion didn’t count because I’d never actually read the books), and it was just as awful as I’d expected. I did, for some reason, watch the first two films at home—not sober though (um, yeah I’m really too old for this stuff). The first one was bad enough to be funny, but the second one was just mind-numbingly boring.

Recently read Lady Midnight, first of a new trilogy in the The Mortal Instruments world. There were bits I liked, but the romance plot was simply painful and only looks to get even more so. And they made a character who should have just been gay into a bi/pan character just to throw an extra love triangle (er, love square? or is it a love pentagon by now?) in there.

Is The Magicians actually good? I read the first few pages and just wasn’t impressed, but if it’s one of those “better once you get into it” things I guess I could try again.

You shouldn’t stop there. The third one goes back to funny-bad high school melodrama like the first, and the fourth is the most whoo-batshit-crazy thing I’ve seen come out of Hollywood without Nicolas Cage’s name in the credits. By the fifth, it’s crawled up its own boring mythology again like Movie 2 does… but 3 and especially 4 are totally worth the not-sober-watch.

I know officially dislike The Firebird trilogy. Lots of untapped potential, but unfortunately…the usual YA sins. Again, drop-dead gorgeus covers, but slightly stupid plot. At least even the MC thinks that the big bad plan is pretty ridiculuous in the end, so it’s nice to have a sorta self-aware protagonist.

Kinda liked the part where Marguerite has a meeting with the other Marguerites though, in the third book. It reminded me of the part in Deathly Hallows where everyone else takes Polyjuice potion and looks like Harry, except slightly less funnier.

[quote=“Nonvita, post:154, topic:15750, full:true”]
I only ever read one chapter of Twilight (after being told by a Twilight fan that my opinion didn’t count because I’d never actually read the books), and it was just as awful as I’d expected. I did, for some reason, watch the first two films at home—not sober though (um, yeah I’m really too old for this stuff). The first one was bad enough to be funny, but the second one was just mind-numbingly boring.[/quote]

My cousin gave me her set of the books when she moved out of state. I honest to God tried to give it a shot with an open mind, and put the first book down around the part where he broke down her truck because he didn’t want her going somewhere.

I watched the first movie drunk and pissed off my friend by giggling at the “tense” parts. I don’t think I could make myself sit through the other ones.

I loved the series, but it was hard to get into for me too. I tried reading it years ago, and only got back to it because of the show. Once I did, I tore through the series in a week. I would say read through to the part where the school is introduced and see what you think.

The main character is severely depressed and can be offputting for a lot of people. He’s dissatisfied with his life and uses fantasy fiction as escapism, and he tells himself if he could be a character in these stories he would be happy. But when he does learn magic, it doesn’t change him - he’s still as depressed and unfulfilled as ever. He does get that magical adventure he wanted, and it doesn’t turn out the way he thought it would. I deeply related to Quentin’s character arc across the series, but there are some fans who read for the side characters and detest Quentin, so YMMV.

Thanks for the nice review, it gave me a better mindset to go in with.:thumbsup: I’ll give the books another shot after I’ve either finished a CoGComp entry or just finally given up on entering.

This woman summed up what turned me off from Anna and the French Kiss and Stephanie Perkin’s other books, even though I have never read any of them at all. I remember my friends gushing about it in high school, but just one chapter in and I already thought it was terrible. And then I found this review and made me realize that I wasn’t missing out at all.

I read Divergent, and I absolutely hated it. The main character whines way too much for my taste,and tries to prove shes selfless when her actions clearly show otherwise. The romance in it was also too much, yes it didnt have the standard love triangle, but the romance felt so forced it was uncomfortable to read. The characters seemed to have no lives of their own, with the exception of one of them, and even that later turned into somewhat of a plot point for the main character. Finally their were just too many plot holes and it completely broke my suspension of disbelief.

Edit:Just thought of another book series I hate, puts up flame shield.

I hated the Harry Potter series. The plot was ok, I didnt have a problem with it. But the characters ruined it for me, especially in the later books. Harry was angry most of the time and snapped at people for no reason. Hermione was extremely smart but incredibly arrogant, and Ron was jealous of pretty much everyone. This plus the fact that Harry was loved by everyone despite snapping at every character at least once when they didnt deserve it actually made me hate him and want him to lose the final battle. It was also incredibly predictable to me.

I have to agree with the Divergent series. The first one was was okay but the second book was not interesting enough so I have to put it down and didn’t bother with the rest.

Unfortunately, HP has always been my favorite series ever since I was in high school (Been a fan for 16 years and counting) so I’m quite sad to see that you didn’t like it but wasn’t HP a children’s book not a YA?

I would consider the earlier books more childrens and the later ones more YA because the topics they dealt with got much darker.
Edit: I am genuinely curious, why do you like HP? (I know its a lot of people do but i never understood why)

I like HP because it was my first “adult” book. Funny because it’s a children’s book and 10 year-old me thought it was YA or something. It was my gateway from reading mostly kiddie and picture books, to more heavier, “adult reading” stuff such as romances, horror novels, and mysteries. HP had a little of each and introduced young me to those concepts, which is why I got into reading those genres as i got older. Or even why I’m into reading in the first place.