The Worst Young Adult Novels You've Read

I read the Maximum Ride graphic novels and the spin off book Fang. Though I think they were a little better than most YA novels, but I credit that to the experience the author, James Patterson. He’s written tons of murder mystery novels, mostly geared towards adults. However, since I haven’t actually read the books, it’s safe to assume that the graphic novels, due to their visual nature, cut out a lot of filler and unimportant banter. The one book I did read wasn’t too bad though.

You know when I first read it the first thing that I said to my friends was A Walk to Remember RIP OFF Lols. Except the dude die instead of the gal. That first came and everyone was going gaga about Mandy right lols. Since I’ve already known A Walk to remember before the Fault in our starts i really think it was meh. I’m glad someone else no like it. That link is good about why hate that book/movie

It’s been a long time since I read The Chronicles of Narnia, but I think Susan was meant to represent people who grow up too much and lose their imaginations. The dwarfs are the strawman atheists. They are so blinded by their selfishness and unbelief that they can’t see the paradise they live in, believing themselves to be locked in a dark, old stable.

"‘Well, at any rate there’s no Humbug here. We haven’t let anyone take us in. The Dwarfs are for Dwarfs.’

‘You see’, said Aslan. ‘They will not let us help them. They have chosen cunning instead of belief. Their prison is only in their own minds, yet they are in that prison; and so afraid of being taken in that they cannot be taken out. But come, children. I have other work to do.’"

Thanks, Aslan. Great message for the kids. That and the part about how all Muslims are unwittingly worshiping Satan.

Still, I liked the first three books quite a lot when I was a kid, the ones in which the Christian allegory served the story instead of the other way around. My favorite was The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which also has one of my favorite opening sentences in YA fiction.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader (book 3) was my favorite in the series too, and yes the first three were the best, although I recall The Magician’s Nephew (book 6) fondly as well.

I dunno about the books – haven’t read 'em. But movies 1 and 3 were (IMO) terrific high school melodramas that had huge entertainment value by taking literally emotions that I (for one) certainly had when I was that age. “I want to be with you forever. But if I’m with you I know I’ll just hurt/ruin you. So I can never be with you. But if I can’t be with you, I’ll die. But… I can’t really die,” etc.

Movies 2 and 5 were remarkably awful, case studies (with the third Matrix and later Pirates of the Caribbean movies) in how a fantasy story can get bogged down in its own mythology and lose touch with what made it fun.

And Movie 4 was so amazingly batshit that I’ve got to love it. Bedroom smashing sex, killer babies who need blood smoothies, c-section by fang, and a love triangle resolved by an adult man’s instant crush on an infant. It’s like The Room, except mega-budget.

I think I watched bits and pieces of the first and fourth movie. The special effects were cringe-worthy and the movies only seemed to magnify the flaws in the plot that were already present in the books. Then again, I’ve seen few movie adaptions of books that were as good as or even better than their written counterparts.

In the books a lot of time is spent on explaining Bella’s motives behind her in the movies pretty random or at best highly impulsive looking actions, which makes the whole thing more bearable. Then again I have to admit that the first time I read the first books my thoughts were something like. Well, alright. That was pretty average. Does that really justify all the fuss that’s being made about the series?

Then I read the second book, which was noticeably better, and by the time I got to the third book I was hooked. Then the fourth book and conclusion of the series was downright epic (my favorite part is actually the big fight with the Volturi, not the whole unexpected +1 thing), and I must’ve read the entire series about a dozen times since then. I actually like The Host better, but that’s not something you can really reread before the plot has gone all fuzzy, because knowing exactly what is going to happen kinda takes the fun out of it. And it admittedly takes a bit more brain-power to focus on the story than Twilight :wink:

I’ve been over in the YA section of the library a few times but I made sure the book I took was among the bizarre or relating to my other interests (Twilight relates to my interests but I’m still not picking it up).

I can only remember two of them at the moment and they actually weren’t bad. One was about a prince cursed to be a bear and a princess and wolf cursed to be in the other’s body by a usurper that didn’t anticipate wolfish attitudes. Bland but not immature romance bland.
The prince and princess also can’t talk which probably saves us a lot of corned ham.

The other was about this kid going on a magical journey (where a physical representation of death can be fought with jazz music) to try to cure their fatal illness. It spent far more time on the fantastic and dramatic encounters along the way than it did with the main story but I wouldn’t call it bad.

I really liked The Host as well.
On the other hand couldn’t stand the Twilight series. Didn’t get though the first book and haven’t been able to sit through an entire movie (any of them) without switching it off. (Really not to my taste in movies at all but I guess I can see why people would like them). Was kind of surprised they’re written by the same author really. I mean the writing in places is similar but I had a very different reaction to each book. Maybe I need to give the later books a go, but that would mean I’d have to go back and try to finish the first one again :stuck_out_tongue:

I want to talk about the books I enjoyed instead, but I think we need another topic for that. I’ve such a soft spot for the books though, especially the ones that are like the literary equivalent of junk food, that you can just devour in a few hours, rather forgettable, but fun for the moment. .

While Twilight was after my time, I did read other vampire books in my teens and they were equally as cheesy. (Although admittedly a lot shorter). So I think I’ve no leg to stand on for criticising it. (Especially since I’ve not read it.) I do seem to recall reading a series with a time-travelling last vampire, who was best friends with a god, and who romanced a ghost, that may have been her reincarnated dead husband, and whose daughter (who insta-aged) was some sort of evil goddess of destruction that may have done battle with Jesus-reborn. BUT! my memory is super-fuzzy.

I think, nothing to be embarrassed about. If it’s fun, it’s fun. I find something tremendously comforting in reading young adult books, sometimes. I like how they tend to be shorter, and so less padded, and while often the world building is shaky, it’s still fun to see ideas implemented. And if I don’t like the book I can just move onto the next one.

I haven’t read either. :slight_smile: I did attempt to read The Dark is Rising, several times, and failed miserably. I just didn’t enjoy it, and I liked a whole lot of other fantasy. I suppose I’m not a great one for classics, or literature though. (https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/literarature-science-fiction-and-fantasy-books) I’ve also not read Harry Potter.

And on topic, I didn’t particularly like Phillip Pullman’s Northern Lights books. I may have been too old for them by the time I read them. Although I guess that doesn’t count as worst. I generally don’t finish them if they start out rather bad. I’ll read a few pages and that’s that.

I haven’t read very many “Young Adult Novels”, but all of the ones I’ve read (for the most part) have been fantastic. From both of the Endgame books, The Calling and Sky Key (read both of them, incredibly written), to the Divergent series (the books that made me want to start writing stories of my own), they all have a massive impact on me and my writing.

With that said, the ONE book that bored me to tears was The Eye Of Minds by James Dashner (the first in the Mortality Doctrine series). The book felt clumsily written and was an absolute snooze. I was skimming pages at a certain point because I knew EXACTLY what was going to happen and didn’t feel bothered to read the details. I basically regretted reading the book until the last 5 or so pages (I won’t spoil anything). Those last 5 pages made me force my way through the second book, and I still haven’t read the third one. I don’t know if I ever will.

So it seems like the general consensus is that Twilight is… Not great to say the least. And I 100% agree with that assessment. I haven’t read all of the posts in this thread, but none of the ones I saw mentioned what I consider to be the most terrible aspect of Twilight, it romanticizes an abusive relationship. It tells young girls that if your significant other controls your every move (to the point of sabotaging your car so that you won’t see someone they disapprove of) that it’s okay, even desired because that means they really love you. And it also romanticizes suicide and suicidal ideation after a breakup.
Seriously, it’s disgusting. A simple google search will turn up a huge number of articles breaking down the abusive relationship, one of which can be found here
and another here

@Cecilia_Rosewood @Jacic I liked The Host book too :slight_smile: I was really hoping for a sequel, the plot and characters were SO much more interesting (though Wanda’s extreme pacifism to the point of not defending herself irked me)

From the top of my head, I’ve read the Kane Chronicles and The Lost Hero. Honestly, I think Rick should have moved on from writing mythology-themed novels a long time ago.

• If it wasn’t bad enough that there was a love triangle between the female MC, a god, and some other guy in the Kane Chronicles, the latter two merge in the end so they can both be with her. If that’s not at least somewhat disturbing, I don’t know what is.
  • As for The Lost Hero, it’s basically Percy Jackson & the Olympians all over again. Nothing new here.
  • Divergent is another on my list. I don’t even know what to say about this one. There is nothing at all noteworthy about this book. It’s just another book I would shelf under the ‘overdone dystopia’ genre.
  • Eragon, I could never finish for some reason or another. I found the writing style boring and drawn-out and the characters never really stood out for me (an exception maybe being Saphira).

On a related note, I remember reading this awful YA novel for the same reason some people do Bad Movie Mondays. I can’t even recall the name of it now but it was clearly a Hunger Games wannabe, only with Pokemon-esque companions, a predictable plot, and unlikable characters.

House of Night - NO. If only I could bleach my brain. Right up there with Twilight (even worse maybe?).

Oh, how I miss stalking the aisles of my local library…

I’ve almost completely stopped reading YA books because most of them follow the same plotlines/character bases. :S

That’s The Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison haha. I actually enjoyed that one, but I read it when I was about 15 so who knows if I’d still like it…

You should definitely make that topic! I could talk forever about good YA novels.

And I agree with you about enjoying fun and trashy books. I’ve been on a long romance novel kick. Someone asked me what I’d been reading lately and my first thought was “How should I lie about this?” but after a moment I realized I was being silly. Everyone has guilty pleasures :smile_cat:

If you ever feel self-conscious, just think of me, reading about a dragon and a george … “The Dragon and the George” series … lol

You mean your library puts the Dragon Knight books over in YA? I found most of the series over in the sci fi/fantasy section but I could never find The Dragon and the George.

We could really use more hero’s like him instead of characters that wouldn’t be out of place in a typical RPG campaign.

Did anyone put Magic Ex Libris under YA? It’s a good series but I’m worried they might get a call from the X-men creators if they make another book.

Let me know if you make a topic for this :slight_smile: I have a soft-spot for a lot of YA novels I’ve read

…That actually sounds like a good book.

I remember reading the Twilight books in middle school. I never particularly enjoyed them, but I finished the entire series because I had this weird belief that they were building up to a really cool ending. I don’t know why I thought that. Maybe I just assumed something that bad had to have a good payoff? At any rate, I was seriously disappointed with the finale.

You should watch The Lost Boys. It’s a vampire movie from the eighties. Lots of action, lots of laughs, creepy bad guys, etc. You’ll like it better than the Twilight movies. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll have to look that up :slight_smile:

My library never had a “young adults section” so ever since I began mass consuming books, I read fantasy, sci-fi and young adult stuff as all one big mass of books. Since “The Dragon and the George” involved a “college” student my local librarian recommended it as a young adult book. She really did not know much about sci-fi or fantasy genre.

The librarians in the main branch were too busy helping the adults … and the catalogue was a bizarre mix of computer and the old card system so nothing was really categorized well.