The Winter Child (WIP) [small update 2 Dec '16]

Hello everybody! It’s been a while, hasn’t it? :grin:

Progress has been slow but sure. I’ve been implementing some of the suggestions that you guys have given me, and it’s been going alright. Could be faster.

Word count as of now :18k

I wanted to ask you guys something. :slight_smile: If you were to try to travel from Lake Winnipeg to Alexandria (Egypt) on mostly foot and boat:

1.How long do you think it would take?
2.What would you bring along with you? Other than basic necessities.
3.How would you go about doing it?

I need to iron out some of the details of the next storyarc :blush:

11 Likes

Mmmm, well I have no idea Google Maps wouldn’t give me directions from Lake Winnipeg to Alexandria (Egypt)
But I doubt it would take anything more than 20 to 30 days.

I’d bring some books, comics, manga. Most notably Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures Stardust Crusaders, cause they gotta get to Egypt and fight that Vampire.

Even though you said mostly on foot, and boat. I gotta say we need a car/horse/camel for some part of Northern Africa, it’s not all desert, but some of it is desert and I don’t want to have to walk across it and fight a sun or something.

1 Like

Probably a LOT more than that. I’d estimate a couple of months (on foot) from landfall in Europe to Alexandria (at the very least). You wouldn’t have to go through North Africa, either (although the alternative route takes you through Syria, which isn’t very happy these days), but if you did, you’d really want to have some kind of mount/vehicle (so it would be quicker).

Of course, if you had a boat, I imagine you could just sail up the Mediterranean, avoiding both deserts and civil wars. I don’t know the first thing about boats, though (well, I know they go on water, at least), so I can’t really offer any guidance there.

1 Like

think about the amount of time the travel time of people moving from the Colonies to Western America. it usually took 2-3 months (i think). now the distance between eastern America to Egypt is about that 2.5 the length. By boat would probably be a little faster, assuming its a modern one. a cruise liner or some boat meant to get to the western tip of Africa relatively fast would probably get there in 5-6 hours? but the walking distance from Winnipeg to the shore would take awhile, probably 15-20 days without a horse. Traveling from Morocco to Egypt would be the issue. I’m not sure about the physical layout of that area, but i know it isn’t very forgiving for foot travel. I know Morocco itself is filled with mountains, i’d estimate two and a half months for that travel. The modern ship part really cuts down the travel time, but overall i’d say 3 months, but if you dont wanna take that route probably much longer.

1 Like

You REALY need to change that pre-blizard scene, if I take the obviously good choice the game ends, if I take the obviously bad choice the game tries to guilt trip me for not taking the other choice.
Have Sera just bolt away from me and have me chase her THEN get lost in the blizard, otherwise people might get pissed at the game for punishing them for acting like sensible human beings

1 Like

First, two references from two different fandoms. I applaud you. xD

Secondly… that was interesting! I want more! This was fun! [Curls up and sighs.] Please, keep up the good work. I was done before I knew it.

1 Like

Hmm… let’s see…

1. Wire Ryse is an experienced swimmer in real life, so I would use the boat like a kick board, and add speed to my trip, so about… 15 days.
  2. Basics? let’s see, I’ll need my deodorant… mmm, do I need the bottled water? Nah, the lotion well be better. Wait! Should I bring some food? Nope. I’m gonna save that space for my tanning station.
  3. Look at number one.
2 Likes

hey guys, im having an issue getting past chapter one at the hospital part, I call jack out for his bullshitting but then anything after that I die. SOMEONE HELP!!!

2 Likes

:joy: Glad to see you’re having fun. Try calling him out on the quotas, or his personality. The other options just make him pissed.

There isn’t much after that point though!

is that why I die? because I call him out on his quotas then anything after that I die, is not complete or something since I’m not really up to date on this thread

Is Seraphina alive or dead in your game? Did you manage to get to the preview?

If Sera is dead, calling Jack out on his bullshit isn’t going to have any positive outcomes at all. I’m sorry! I’m aware this is kind of unfair, killing people right off the bat, and this will be addressed in the next update.

1 Like

i might of missed it, so if she’s alive you get through since i never really selected her to die just the options that seemed like noble sacrifices. but could you just tell me how to make it past the hospital scene please?

Accept Jack’s deal. That’s it. Questioning him just gives extra relationship stats if the correct options are chosen.

1 Like

so keep sis alive, bullshit jack frost and then accept his deal?

1 Like

OR DIE!

I would just like to point out dying is a valid option, and an underrepresented minority. #Equality

5 Likes

ok, so I’ve just got to keep sis alive then accept jacks deal

1 Like

Yes! But bullshit him carefully, please. Even if Sera is alive, picking the wrong option will result in insta-death.

(Quotas, ask him about the quotas!!)

2 Likes

ok thanks for the help guys

Um I did it again and I only got to chapter three then to the stats screen. Is that meant to happen?

1 Like

Yep! That’s it. (I told you there wasn’t a lot after that haha)

3 Likes