The Wings of Angels (World War II Aviation game WIP)(On Hiatus)

Always been a fan of WWII and aviation! You might consider bombers as an option, it’d certainly open up the story to things like camaraderie, dialog, etc., and I’d imagine maneuvers would be easier to describe; “…the Zero rolls overhead, you grab the yolk and continue flying wings level in a straight line…”

By the way, if you’d like any technical insight please feel free to ask, I am a pilot myself and I chat every morning with my great-uncle who was a Catalina pilot during WWII.

3 Likes

@spytim

The Battle of Malta also had a pretty major air battle.

Kind of curious where you’ll take Axis or minor power PC’s. I was thinking playing as a Polish pilot might be interesting.

@RedHorizon1

I haven’t see you in a while. It’s nice to see you again.

1 Like

@Herrington
It might be really hard to include all the nations given it was a World War :frowning:
Right now I’m working on the US pacific campaign, it’s kind of like a test to see if I could attempt to do all the other major powers.

You think? Right now I’m focusing on the fighter portion. But if you have an idea how I would include bombers effectively I would welcome the advice. Also you are a pilot? :smiley:

Yes I am, not military though; I’m studying commercial aviation.

Oh nice! Ever heard of the Battle off Samar?

I have not, I’ll be sure to look it up though!

It might be one of my favorite WW2 Naval/Air battle.

That’s reasonable, I just like playing as either Axis or minor powers. Or if playing an Allied major, choose a character’s ethnicity from the previous two. :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the Battle of Leyte Gulf because it was the last ever battleship on battleship engagement. But Taffy 3 and White Plains fought real hard there. I not too knowledgeable about the Pacific Theatre, which is weird since I’m a Filipino.

Whereas I do not. I can never even bring myself to play as the Axis powers in the Paradox games as they were one of the greatest abominations, particularly to gay men, in recent history.
At least with the Soviets I can still label it as a noble experiment gone horribly awry, the Nazi ideology has never had any redeemable components whatsoever.
While the WWII era was a very bad time to be gay in our history, only in the Axis powers did being so mean death by categorical extermination in a concentration camp. At least the major allied and Soviet cities had gay scenes, buried deep underground though they may have been.

The only thing even remotely “nice” about the Axis were the uniforms, although even that did lasting harm as it made knee-high boots a taboo fashion for men, outside of the purely practical. A stigma that we’re only now beginning to recover from, ever so slowly. :unamused:

Okay so far the rant, now on to the game.
Will it in fat be character driven and focus equally on the cute flyboys and their aircraft or will it be more technical and focus almost solely on the planes?
As you seem to be doing an American POV will we get to fly the iconic Mustang (the various P-51 designations)?

Well the battles will obviously be very technical, so the answer is both. Though i would lean towards the plane aspect im going to try to even it out a promise! lol! I do have one thing to add, the majority of the Luftwaffe (German air force) pilots were anti nazi or just non nazi, in fact pilots wouldn’t trust Nazi pilots because they knew that meant they must be crazy. But not the point, the p-51 will make a couple appearances and there will be chances to fly it. :slight_smile:

That’s certainly your prerogative, but I don’t want to be locked out of playing an Axis campaign for the mere fact that they are the Axis like what many other games are wont to do. The only ones (about the air war) I could name on the top of my head having Axis campaigns are The Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe (you play as the Luftwaffe or the US 8th Air Force), Gary Grisby’s Battle of Britain (you play as either side), or the older Il-2 Sturmovik games (can play as any major; I especially like the dynamic campaign mod). The rest? Either the American or British air forces being the sole protagonists, the Soviets occasionally so, and the Italians or other Axis minors (any minors really; I want Canadians damn it) don’t get any representation at all.

Just to nitpick, you don’t want minor powers like Poland, Norway, or Finland either? I think a Finish campaign would be nice actually, fighting the Soviets twice and then Germany.

On that topic, if you have Darkest Hour, I would suggest the Communist Germany mod. You can choose from a wide variety of choices of who gets to win the German elections in 1933 from the centrist Zentrum, left leaning SPD, monarchist DNVP, Moscow backed KPD, or the historical Nazis of the NSDAP and with their own subsequent event chains. Sadly, I have found no other mods that create or flesh out alternative governments for the other Axis powers.

Truly? I hear the exact opposite since the Luftwaffe was one of the biggest beneficiaries of the Nazi regime (being built from the ground up due to Germany not allowed to build an air force at all; not even a balloon).

2 Likes

Quick question, will it be gender locked? Or do you have to be male?

Perhaps the freedom gained from the regime, but soon they found themselves being screwed over repeatedly. (I mean in general, not their leadership (Didn’t help their top leadership aka Hermann Göring and several others blamed the pilots cowardice for losing the airwar. I point to the lives of Adolf Galland and Johannes Steinhoff) I misstated by saying the Luftwaffe as a whole was anti Nazi, a large portion of it was though. My apologies.

2 Likes

The US pacific campaign you have to be male, the Russian campaign however will not since it actually did have Women fighter combat squadrons.

So we will have multiple mc’s and this thing will be more in the “documentary” format of @AlexClifford1994 's “Divided we Fall” game?
As I generally like to roleplay I was rather hoping for a single mc that the player creates, but if your story needs multiple preset characters to tell the narrative you have in mind I guess, you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do.
Keep in mind though that they, much like say Geralt in the Witcher will never be our characters and personally being able to “create” and roleplay a character myself is usually a big draw for me.
Then again almost anything can be overcome if the writing is good enough and this game has the big benefit that I do like aircraft. :wink:

We will have a single MC of our own creation. Though the Aircraft, Battles, important individuals and timeline will all be from the actual events Our character along will some of the supporting characters will be fictional. (The MC the players creation and the rest mine. :3) I Hope that clears things up?

Rewrote the original post, let me know what you think :slight_smile:

I approve of limiting the scope of the game to just the Pacific Theatre, with other campaigns in subsequent games. This game might never be released if you do too many campaigns on one game and track them all, making the code complicated. And I do certainly want to play this game.

A quick question, will there be a Japanese campaign in this game, a subsequent game, or not at all?

I’d be more psyched for a Japanese campaign where we get to pilot the “evil” Zero, rather than a Nazi one.
Although as @Herrington pointed out I do have some severe personal hangups surrounding the Nazis.