The Wings of Angels (World War II Aviation game WIP)(On Hiatus)

(Reworked this thing finally lol) December 7, 1941, “a date which will live in infamy” Following the attack on Pearl harbor the United States declared war on the Empire of Japan. The nation, your nation, is now at war. You are pilot in the USAAF assigned to the Carrier USS Lexington on your way to what will soon be called The battle of the Coral Sea. Will you be compared with the legendary pilots such as The Red Baron, Hans-Joachim Marseille, Alexander Pokryshkin and Richard Bong. Or will you simply fade away to history?
Become a master of dogfighting, a Phantom who appears and disappears from battle like a ghost, a bomber hunter who loyally defends his allies from enemy bombers or a guardian angel conducting ground strike missions to help your marines push through the Japanese lines. Become a squadron flight leader, leading countless aircraft into combat. Or arranging them from below. How you fly is up to you, however, choices have consequences, if not for you. Then for your countrymen below you. Good luck.

This game by itself will be based in the Pacific, but i hope that if this does get good reception and i can do this era justice then I will proceed to write two more accompanying games. (USSR and German Air forces)
-Sincerely Spytim :wink:
(Also any suggestions for a story name are welcome, though I do have an idea or two)
Note: The Characters in the Pacific campaign will only be male. (Because of the time this takes place in the USAAF only had male combat pilots however I am lightly considering altering history a little bit to allow female pilots. What do you all think?)

47 Likes

I would absolutely love a game like this. As a military history buff this is right up my alley.

2 Likes

@Countryreb94
Anything specific you would like to see? (Aircraft or battles?) (Or should i save these questions for the WIP post that will eventually be posted? XD lol)

1 Like

I’m interested. Lots of great stories and heroes.

A couple of thoughts:

The Black Flying squadrons would be good to cover and the Woman fighter squadron too, although I know they were not recognized until just recently as “true” veterans the very fact that women were fighter pilots at the time is important to share.

American Plane I’d like to see: Mustang - I love that plane. I’d love to be the female fighter Ace leading a famous squadorn like the Flying Tigers or the Blacksheep.

German Planes: Meserschmidt planes and the Comet Rocket-plane. There was another rocket plane too but I can’t remember its name.

Japanese plane: the Zero - umm the evil Zero.

British Planes: Spitfire and the replacement one - the one that only saw a few months action.

I’m sure there are many more but that’s all I can remember off the top of my head.

9 Likes

The hienkel 162 jet fighter? Is that the one you cant remember?

I’m not sure. It was captured by the US and it was used to help our space program in the 1960’s come out with huge rockets (I know this cuz I lived near where they built those Saturn Rockets) for a bit.

Anyways, back to this rocket-jet - the design was so advanced that they are still unlocking secrets of it today and are using some of it in their plans for the Concorde replacement jets.

Captured? Sounds like a Me 262 but I honestly dont know for sure. Ill go ahead and check though for when i get around to the Luftwaffe Storyline. :wink:

2 Likes

Bah, you sneaky ninja. I’d be interested in it. Good thing I only had an outline of my own story in this setting, so it’s not like I’m losing work. I’ll just focus on my other story then. Which will remain unsaid to protect it from you ninjas. << >>

1 Like

I think it was: Messerschmitt Me 263 - the ramjet technology is what led to the X-43 vehicle which still holds the world-airspeed record for an air-breathing, free-flying aircraft – have clocked up a speed of 7,000mph (10,461 kmh).

I can’t find the articles I had researched at the time specifically saying everything. I have an idea where I put it. Back in a few.

Edit - no, I don’t know what I did with my research articles. sorry.

2 Likes

Being English myself I would love the option to play as a Spitfire pilot during the Battle of Britain, but your idea sounds awesome regardless. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh i love the Spitfires, Especially the Griffon powered variants. :smiley:

Awesome! If you ever get the chance you should visit the Imperial War Museum in Duxford here in Britain, which is nearly all devoted to aviation (and was in far an airfield during the war, as well as used for the filing of the 1960’s Battle of Britain movie with Michael Cane).

1 Like

I will make a note to visit it, i have some friends in Britain so i may just get that chance. :slight_smile:

Hmmm…the actual weaponry of WWII is not my strong suit, so I can’t really offer sensible suggestions about the equipment here, but I do like cute flyboys and planes, so I’d be game. And I love airforce thing in general, so that goes for games too.

I hope I do this story justice 0_o
I’m neck deep in research as I am writing so I can be accurate as I describe things. Lol

@spytim I would love to see the Lockheed P-38 Lightning. Also the great turkey shoot of WW2. Also the Battle of Okinawa

@Countryreb94
I can confirm Okinawa and the turkey shoot actually. Lol
So the Lightning you would like to see?

I could help with the Luftwaffe since I studied WW2 for a while mostly the air force of Germany.

@Branton
That help would be welcomed :slight_smile:
By the way how does “The Wings of Angels” sound for a title? I’m still trying to think one up haha!

3 Likes

sounds pretty good for a name, and I would love to play this game!(I also love history) also could our actions change history? Or will it remain the same?