The Wight King(WIP) - Chapter 6 added (12/01/2023)

Guys, I believe that @bl00dragon is having problems with his internet right now.

They will be fixed by the end of this month. (I think, that’s what he told me anyways)

2 Likes

Thanks for covering for me Lynx. Indeed, currently I’m basically netless in my appartment (operators are effing idiots). So I can access internet only when I go back home on the weekends for now. Until the end of the month I’ll have no stable connection to internet so I won’t be able to answer immediately.

8 Likes

This is a great excuse to do a proper re-write - from the beginning. I know the poll said the masses want “new content” released first but I think the game as a whole would be executed better if you begin the rewrite from the beginning.

Piecing together new material with old material and then going back and refitting that “new” material with even “newer” rewrites is a harder process and I would say it exposes more fault lines for you to trip over.

I know this is not the popular view and I recognize it means more initial delay to execute properly but I really think you’d benefit more in the long run doing it this way rather then the more popular method.

6 Likes

I know. Don’t worry, I’ll do a whole rewrite eventually. But I want to get some new content out first. After chapter 3 I’m going to go back to the beggining and do a proper rewriting of the story.

10 Likes

I almost cant wait for this to be updated its really good.

2 Likes

You almost, I can’t :wink:

I got limited access to internet again now. Soon I’ll probably post a possible scene from another project to let you know what it is about. I’ll surely do so for other projects later. In the meantime I’ve also rewritten for the Wight King’s chapter 2, the monolyth scene got a big overall that I’d like you to tell me your thoughts about, when I’ll post it here.

9 Likes

Is there anything you can tell me about the dullahans in this universe?

2 Likes

They are always loosing their top over every little thing
:rofl:

5 Likes

Not much. Dullahans are meant to appear only much later in the story so I haven’t given it much thought.

I think they’d be like über-revenants, their soul separated between their head and body would create a symbiotic link making Dullahans incredibly powerful as long as their head and body are together. It’s all very conceptual at this point.

And since even revenants are still not clearly defined, I can’t tell you much about the dullahans. But they will probably be the next best thing after a wight knight.

They’ll surely be corpses that would’ve become wight if a Wight King was risen at the time of their death.

8 Likes

@bl00dragon all hail the wight king

1 Like

Zombies in hooded robes: indiscernible chanting
Recruit Templar seargent: walking away now…
Skeletons in robes: give them scrolls
Recruit Templar: Takes scroll way of the king, What is this nonsense?
Zombies and skeletons: Turn and hiss at them
Recruit Templar Seargent: Running away now…

1 Like

How can someone be a recruit and a sergeant?

1 Like

You are questioning the thinking process of the men who try to hunt the Wight King

1 Like

Slightly more training than the others, officers training, Militia experience, volenteer verses concript?

and of course this helps too

1 Like

I was in the military for seven years and held that rank, so it bothers me a bit to see it reduced to something like a recruit. Sergeants are the ones who make things happen, they train their solders and officers. They are the ones who teach others how to lead. Officers often turn to them for guidance. I don’t know how it works in a militia, but I would hope the rank wasn’t just given to anyone.

1 Like

Keep in mind that historically, the use of sergeant was more general and actually referred to more of a “servant” capacity - both in middle English and middle French.

Today’s rank is clearly different then it once was and the role has evolved and become more prestigious and necessary.

If push comes to shove, you can think the recruit rank as such:

2 Likes

No insult was intended its just in medieval era lords offspring or those of high birth often had advancement without warrant. Modern military has better system than the disorganized setup they had then
the sergeants would likly be a group of nobles fast tracted for leadership roles leading small groups having only slightly more training then their (very Few) men, those that were successful gained rank ang glory most experience was learnd in battle then not through training. A fair example of their practice is similar to Lords of Aswick.

I very much understand and respect sergeants as my mom was a SFC when she retired (unfortunately it was my Failures in childhood that prevented her from getting higher)

Unfortunatly Leadership rank in the medival era was usually only given to young people who didnt really deserve it yet or old soldiers that survive and fought hard and showed they earned it potentially earning them nobility through Honerary combat.
In most stories a Sergent equivalant (First rank i could think of that lead)

In medieval European usage, a sergeant was simply any attendant or officer with a protective duty. Any medieval knight or military order of knighthood might have “sergeants-at-arms”, meaning servants able to fight if needed.

it was considered the equivilant of half a knight in value back then (wich is quite alot)
they were the Junior to a Knight (possibly a Knight in training) there title was usually Seargent in arms.

Or the lowest rank Knight or person of “important” noble blood was allowed to have wether it was deserved or not, Thus meaning Sergent was in fact a important rank.
they were offically considered Members of the court and had to be recognized as such.

6 Likes

I wasn’t really mad, but I felt I needed to say something about it. If your mom was a SFC then I’m sure you understand the pride we have being veterans. That was interesting tho, because I wasn’t sure how they used the rank in the medival era.

1 Like

An experienced, veteran officer of not-knights unit could die and then the nobles be like:
“Hum… you, congratulations you’re a sergeant now.”
Bob: “Who? Me?”
“Yes, you. Now begone filthy peasant.”

Well, the paladin’s sergeants were badasses in their own rights, but the templars hire pretty much anyone that can tell the pointy end of a spear. And tell them their job is to catch arrows with their heads to protect the higher ranked templars from dirtying their garbs.

(Though a sergeant in a Kriegsgardian army would be much more powerful and respected.)

6 Likes