The Wight King(WIP) - Chapter 6 added (12/01/2023)

I did not say it that way but if you put it that way then if I accept it :slight_smile:

1 Like

and of course one in 100 million? Would these be good examples?

Lord Anomander Rake (single-handedly layed waste to entire regiments of an opposing army, took his sword from a god then used it on him. Malazan book of the fallen series)

Rand al Thor (the dragon reborn, can theoretically destroy reality itself, or just wipe his enemies from existance. Wheel of time series)

Mab, Winter’s Queen (The immortal leader of all winter Fae and Queen of the Winter Court. described as cool, beautiful and nearly incomprehensibly powerful. one of her famous quotes: “You may serve, wizard, or you may be served. As a meal.” The Dresden files series.)

2 Likes

Other examples:
Jaraxxus, Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion (Summoned by a trifling gnome. Famous quote: “You face Jaraxxus, Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion!”

Yennefer of Vengerberg (Sorceress, has sex on stuffed unicorn. Smell like Lilac and Gooseberries)

1 Like

You’re a master as soon as you reach a sufficient level into any magic, as for being an archwizard, they are usually two to three time stronger than masters.

Yes there are underground nations.

I’ve heard of an error going around dashingdon. You have to open in a private window or something, don’t know why.

Most of these are from other worlds.

That’s pretty tame, he would be between the ten thousand and one million category.

For the sake of coherency because of many OP characters, spells that affect reality or time are extremely weak and asks a ridiculous amount of energy. A bit like what happened to Nox in Wakfu, you’ll sacrifice the energy of entire continents to go just a few seconds back into time.

These one in a million people, are godlike beings that can make their power grow to such an extent that they transcend humanity. Those people are on the level of some gods and powerful spirits. I don’t know how powerful Mab is, but she doesn’t seem to possess enough raw power to qualify.

After the crossbow and sword discussions in this thread, I found what I consider the basic armor and armament of my Wight to be as shown here:

The arming sword in front would be the “rapier” version with the sword near the left shoulder being the “long sword” …

In that picture, I find the Falchion (the machete-looking sword by the right shoulder) to be very beautiful. The crossbow (yes, a double-barrelled crossbow) is very nice as well.

1 Like

What is the maximum level of power the Wight King can reach on this scale?

You tend to prefer more realistic fantasy(when it comes to equipment at least) don’t you?

That’s german equipment right? I’ve never seen a double-barrelled crossbow before. I remember seeing one with four arms though. Yeah the falchion is a nice blade.

There is no maximum, there is whether you’ll turn into a hot crispy potato or not. Magic overload isn’t a pretty way to die. For the Wight King it all depends on how much energy they have at hand, they must also be careful because they won’t be able to move, fight or even stay conscious once they use all of their ressources.

5 Likes

Ya- “Low fantasy” as in realistic lets me relate to it better then “High Fantasy” that is more of the imagination.

Yes, that’s Dresden “Black Rider” circa 1630’s - almost all the HRE cavalry had these; the only thing missing from their retinue is the firearms - which in Dresden’s case would be “carbines” a set of 6 … maybe those are something we can “invent” using magic instead of black powder :smile:

1 Like

I already have that covered. You’ll have to wait however. There’s not much funding into projectile weapons research, yet. Some mages have made something pretty nice though.

Most mages use the staff as a medium/catalyst, since it is cheap and polyvalent, other uses wands, easy to counceal, quick on the draw and easy to use despite their lack of power, other uses gauntlets, armbands, specially made close-quarter weapons, or even simply their hands.

But other mages thought farther. They lacked range and precision, they wanted a medium able to strike precisely from afar. So they made some experiment, after a lot of unfortunate accidents and failures, they managed to create a working prototype of the very first catalyst for long range precision strike. The spellslinger.

The spellslinger is a mad creation of both engineering and runeforging genius. It is built on the model of a crossbow, but instead of arms, it possesses a long barrell and a magazine. The first version directly used the mages’ energy as a spell-imbued projectile, however, that extremely draining process was quickly replaced by a more practical solution.

Instead of directly using their energy, they created small objects made of two pieces, the canister and the seal. The canister is a shell in the form a more round cone for better air penetration, filled with neutral magical energy, while the seal was a small rune-inscribe piece of metal on which was written the wanted spell. When the seal is broken, the neutral energy is drained by the spell and the canister is then filled with the volatile energy of the spell. The canister is then propelled through the barrell by the impact of the seal breaking and the help of the rune-covered barrell enchanted to accellerate the canister. And so the spell can be cast from long distance and accurately strike a faraway target if the aim of the mage is true.

While very useful, these spellslingers are incredibly expensive to produce, ask of mechanical knowledge to maintain in working order, good runeforging to enchant the seals, a lot of preparation because the bullets must be crafted in advance, a steady arm and a good physical condition because of the recoil. So few mages actually use this new generation catalyst since it is very demanding. Research on potential improvement are slowly on progress though.

8 Likes

Well, the Wight King is kind of in the middle, with a bit of dark fantasy too. I don’t really like to put fantasy into small categories though.

I try to make the Wight King as realistic as possible despite of how unrealistic the universe is when it come to some things. For the sake of coherency, because that’s the most important.

3 Likes

Yup; consistency and coherency keep that fourth wall intact. I like your mixture so far, although I will tell you when I feel you stretch the limits (like the scythe) :wink:

The dark fantasy is expected when you place the MC as a wight. lol.

1 Like

Yeah, obviously. XD
But it’s only what appears on the surface, it is a cruel world, much like ours, but on a greater scale.
The weak really have it rough. And later, you’ll have the occasion to witness that too.

2 Likes

Well, if you ever feel the need to bounce things around a bit to flesh out your creation as you’re writing, just let me know… I’d be happy to help in any way needed.

1 Like

Could we maintain our human appearance even if we are really mad and monstrous? I don’t want to become a skeleton just because i like to drown puppies.

I’ll be sure to call you if I ever need your help then. Thank you.

Monstruosity doesn’t make you evil, it’s really a stat that measures how much you still hang onto your humanity. You won’t turn into a skeleton simply because you are ruthless.

6 Likes

for all the kingdoms you have on here where would you put them on the alignment scale?

As in “Good or evil”? We’re talking about countries, there’s no alignment. Ideologies, yes. But not alignment.

3 Likes

They are all Chaotic Lawful Opportunists … with a touch of righteousness and religious fever thrown in at times. (my guess) :smile:

4 Likes

Seems like a legit description. XD

4 Likes

Lol I don’t know why but that armor just looks kinda silly to me. Prob cause I’m not that into Western armors

@bl00dragon I know a bit about Japanese armors and weapons so if you ever need help with that. You’ll never know when you’ll suddenly get assaulted by a samurai while walking to your local fast food chain

1 Like