The Wight King(WIP) - Chapter 6 added (12/01/2023)

The trouble with that is the very limited time the Wight King has. Literally a minute after WK deals with Annie, Asterius is there.

There is also the fact that the Wight King has lost most of their memories. There’s not much they could coherently ask about. I see a few questions like: Where am I? Who are the templars? Why did you attack me? And maybe ‘Who am I?’, could be asked.

The reason why I didn’t made it an option was that the questions the Wight King could coherently ask at this point would be of little use both to them and the readers. I didn’t want to bother writing an interrogation that would last one or two minutes and only if you chose no to kill the survivors.

I could put that in, but only for the case in which you spare the survivors, and there’s honestly not much to learn from this interrogation.

3 Likes

Yes, there’s quite a number of potential love interest.

Welcome then. I feel proud of deciding you to sign up.

I do love to end things with a cliffhanger. XD

Glad you liked it.

Praised be the eldritch gods of waffles. I feel like this curse would actually be quite efficient against me. :japanese_goblin:

4 Likes

Yes!!! One of my favorite stories is back and better than ever.

2 Likes

Hey what about everyone’s favorite companion in the Lost Heir series, Pet(er)/(ra)! :laughing: Can’t even keep a straight face…

Is Bob one of them? Our Castle Door? The inanimate weapon we picked up? What about that corpse we made on the way out?

Or we can aim bigger.

The entire world

4 Likes

Turns out my work hates me. I’ll play on Saturday and report Sunday, Sorry if that’s a bit too late but that’s life.

1 Like

I love the new version. The original just seemed cruel and arrogant, but here you can have a wide variety of personalities.

I will say that you might consider cutting down on the descriptive text in the first two pages; it feels a bit like filler.

2 Likes

Actually I played it, and yes, I liked Peter/ra a lot, but the difference is that Lost heir has more like general description of characters, not detailed. (well, its just my opinion because I don’t fancy much standart fantasy setting. Dark one is more for my liking.)

Currently working on the fight with Asterius. Of course, there will be more options than in the original, and probably a more in-depth use of stats.

This is why I present you with the current ‘utilitarian’ stat chart:

We have personality stats:

Aggressive-Diplomatic: Might change this one for a more fitting later. Not really happy with it.

Cocky-Dignified: Probably going to keep this one as it is, at least for now I think it is a good pairing.

Honourable-Deceitful: Just added this one.

Ruthless-Compassionate: I don’t think this one needs to move either.

Combat stats:

Power
Skill
Tactics

Psychological stats:

Most of them are hidden. They will have use later on in the story once the Wight King’s power start to bear onto their shoulders.

The only one not hidden is Humanity

If you have questions about those, ask away.

I have some questions to ask you:

Do you prefer that I say when the text has variations depending on stats in a model similar to Samurai of Hyuga? Or would you rather I keep up immersion and don’t say a thing except for actual textual hints?

As for combat I wish to design a system that rewards as much sound decision making, as knowledge of your character and their strengths/weaknesses. I feel like it would be interesting to reward player for strategical accuracy, instead of simply stats like is often the case in Choicescript games. So, what is your opinion on this subject?

18 Likes

I prefer the immersion with actual text hints, but hey that’s just me!

4 Likes
  • Show me them stat influence!
  • I’ll keep my immersion FULL, thanks.
  • Why not both?
0 voters

Now that I think about it, it would be a simple matter to make the indications a deactivable option.

3 Likes

Mmm. I think I’d prefer keeping up immersion - in SoH, the indicators are pretty helpful since it’s often not obvious at all which option is working off which stat, but that’s more of a necessary evil. Hopefully things are more clear-cut here, making visual help less mandatory (only thing that might mixes things up is the distinction between Aggressive and Ruthless - and on a personal note, I might have some troubles since I like to play Aggressive/Compassionate)

Or that, yes.

Hm, in theory the first option is more attractive, I think. I’d be curious to see what you come up with, at least.

1 Like

Well, what does it mean to be human?

Kidding, kidding. What I mean to ask is how would that stat differ from compassion? Since obviously a sadistic and murder happy Wight King would be out of touch with their humanity.

5 Likes

It’s not quite the same. You can be the worst scum the world has ever seen, and still you would be human.

I think of it as something deeper. To lose humanity is to lose touch with your very nature as a human being. It represents the grasp you maintain onto this humanity.

The undead can lose humanity at an incredible rate, becoming more and more monstruous in nature. It’s not about being cruel. Rather about losing the essence of what you are, becoming nothing more than a monster.

Its use in the game is to register how human the Wight King still is, have they completely given in to the nature behind the curse of the Wight King? Have they forsaken mortality as a whole, its strength and its weaknesses?

In some ways, it’s to act against being human. To reject the natural workings of a human mind. It’s kind of complicated, it’s still hard to explain as it’s uses will be pretty limited before a later point of the story.

9 Likes

since their is no gods does that mean their is no holy magic? unless the world gets holy magic from praying

1 Like

If nothing else showing stats will help immeasurably in the testing phase.

1 Like

Great story, though it would be nice if we can do something with our appearance later on, (plate armor is kinda not my type of thing) and I wonder if it is possible for the MC to develop different types of magic or some sort?

2 Likes

oh btw I also love soul eater :clown_face:

1 Like

The cocky stats seems bugged, when I said a sarcastic/cocky remark it raised dignified instead (like when you tell the templar he can’t even wield a sword or when you mock the templars and say you were about to take a nap)

1 Like

I’d say the humanity stat is indicating how you perceive the world around you, right?
Like if your humanity stat goes down, you lose the ability to perceive certain aspects of morals and stuff like that?
And the more humanity you lose, the more you are like an animal/beast?

Please clarify this <3

It is not that there is no god. The thing is that the gods are dead. But few mortals know that. The gods are still worshipped, and the power of holy magic comes from this faith, even in lost gods.

Holy magic is a special case. Instead of taking its power from magic itself or spirits, it calls upon the power of a god. So, praying generates mana in the same way, that meditation, study and other rituals do. But prayer is not necessary, you simply need to honour the deity in your own way.

Asterius for example, is a paladin that only has a light faith for the one true god of Meidia, Asterius instead believes in a greater, more immaterial good. He believes that through the power of the light, order can be restored the world. And in his own way, he shows his faith to the Light itself instead of a God.

The paladins’ righteous path is also a source of divine magic. A lot of paladins were actually agnostics. Light magic is both a school of profane and divine magic, this is why the power of the paladins does not always comes from faith into a god. And why the power of the paladin could be quite different from one to another.

You will be able to change your appearance later on, once you’ve started to spread your influence into the world. For the first part of the game you’ll have to bear with the plate armour. Sorry. :smirk:

Later on you will be able to choose between actual armours and lighter garbs.

As for magic. Yes, the Wight King will have quite a selection at hand later on. The Wight King was not a mage, but they used to unwittingly wield a primal form of magic during their lives. So the Wight King will gain new powers as the story unfolds.

Okay. I’m going to take a look at this.

Yes. It is also true. I tried to explain the concept further to a friend, but it is not a simple thing, it affects your character on a fundamental level. (And I was also sleep-deprived from the hellish week I had. Doesn’t help.)

There’s a difference between ruthlessness and inhumanity. A ruthless person does evil for their own sake, or eventually for fun, but it’s more in the realm of madness than true ruthlessness/pragmatism.

A monster does evil without need for reason. They simply are, like tempests, like volcanos and tremors. And they become more and more like the eldritch, destroyers, corrupters by nature. That’s how I think of it. They fall deeper and deeper to the void.

To be clearer, you cease to see yourself as human. You become closer to an eldritch, you are simply part of the world, of the way of things, but you are a gear that started to turn the other way. You become an anomaly in the system. You stop being a cell in an organism and instead become a cancerous growth.

So, yes, losing humanity makes you a monster in a sense that humanity no longer means anything to you.

10 Likes