The Wight King(WIP) - Chapter 6 added (12/01/2023)

Sorry.

Not here, possessed undead are called revenants, usually those possessed by a wraith.

Ghouls are abominations centered around flesh, they absorb abilities and traits from the creatures they devour, growing more powerful the more they eat and the more powerful their preys are. They can change their shape, their appearance and twist their own flesh into weapons. They’re not the strongest on their own, when they’re still young, but their potential is nearly endless, a ghoul can grow so strong given time and a lot of luck that they can easily outclass some of the high-level undead.

5 Likes

Any fantasy metals?
Also are golems a thing?

1 Like

So… Revenant dragons?

So… Like should we as a Wight king avoid Ghouls? Like can someone super old eat us and take over? Do they get … Essence it was called? Whatever the flayed king is lacking .(besides organs) When eating soul food. Do they feel hunger? Should I arrange for a ghoul to eat my corpse when I kick the bucket? Maybe one to eat Bob?

2 Likes

In chaotic zones, and more rarely elsewhere you can find materials with unique properties. For example there’s a metal that exponentially increases in weight as it gains inertia, or a form of iron that “parasites” animals through osmosis, growing inside the animal until all the iron in its blood is depleted and it dies. There isn’t one almighty material, each have their own properties for different uses, but you can find a lot of interesting stuff to make armor, weapons or tools out of.

Yes, constructs come in three main categories. Puppets, Dolls and Golems.

Puppets are usually small, cheap constructs, made out of lightweight materials and meant to be used as assistants for simple tasks, as scouts, as a distraction or to overwhelm someone with a ridiculous number or cheap, fragile little killers. The enchantments of puppets are relatively simple compared to that of other constructs, since they’re only meant to be used for simple tasks and their small articulated bodies don’t need complex enchantment. Usually, puppets are made between 1m and 1.6m. Souls can’t be bound to all but the most advanced puppets.

Dolls are constructs are more complex, and obscenely more expensive than a mere puppet. The enchantments used to animate them allow them to have limited thoughts, and the ability to interpret your orders to accomplish their task to the best of their ability. They are usually used as servants, butlers or maids, sometimes even as soldiers or guards. They are generally human sized or taller, made out of durable materials. They can carry out most tasks, as long as they are not too vague, for example asking them to “look for X” is difficult to accomplish, because they do not have the ability to guess unless they have explicit reasons to think they would find that object in a certain location. Dolls have a small ability to learn through mimicry and association of ideas, and can be trained to imitate certain movements perfectly like combat techniques or dances. Dolls could potentially be enchanted with a bound soul, but that practice is pretty much forbidden everywhere as it borders too close to necromancy for comfort.

Finally Golems. Golems are illegal basically everywhere, because of the numerous incidents involving golems. They can be human-sized but are usually much larger, some of them were taller than houses. The enchantments required to make a golem are so complex because of their large size that they are almost impossible for a normal enchanter to realize. This is why back when golems were used, souls were used to make their creation much easier. They are usually made of very strong material, like stone or metal. If a soul is not used and the enchantments aren’t on par with what is required, you get what they call a “sleeping golem”, slow, dull, but obedient, though overall rarely worth the costs.

When you use souls to make a construct, at first the soul will be “slumbering” fully tame and acting exactly like a normal constructs, being even more intelligent and able to obey even very complex orders. But over time, these souls will begin to awaken, to push back their limitations and the construct will slowly become more and more like the person to whom the soul belonged. But almost inevitably, the soul can’t fully adapt to the artificial body and will turn into a semi-wraith making the construct completely faulty and disobedient, and very often make it go on a rampage. This is why soul-bonding is completely illegal, beside the obvious moral issues.

The more complex the enchantments of the construct are, the more intelligent and powerful it is. Some dolls can be made to be on par with golems, if not even more efficient. And the best puppets can sometimes be a much better deal in term of cost-efficiency than dolls.

Finally, these constructs can also be made into limbs, to replace a lost arm or leg. Or even made part of an armor.

It could be possible, but you would need an impossibly powerful wraith to make it possess a dragon. Wraiths usually don’t possess corpses of their own will, usually you would bind them to one of your existing undead, like a skeleton lord.

Everyone should avoid ghouls, they’re social predators. The ghouls that survive the longest are experts of manipulation and can impersonate anyone almost perfectly. Even someone very skilled into sensing auras could barely tell the difference between a person, and a ghoul that ate that person and turned into them. They’re mostly sold out by their instincts, overwhelming desire to feed or their smell.

Well, one of two things would happen, the curse of the Wight King is extremely powerful and I’m actually not sure if a ghoul could take that. Or if it would take the ghoul.

But either way, if a ghoul ate the Wight King, it would be pretty much a bad end for everyone.

They’re ravenously hungry, all the time, the more they eat the hungrier they get. They have a bottomless appetite for flesh and power that can never be fulfilled. And it’s actually a miracle for a ghoul to stay sane(mostly) after a few years of that.

2 Likes

Well now I’m hoping for a minion that just has a bunch of murderous puppets because honestly that just sounds horrible (especially considering I have a mild phobia of puppets) and generally I want my home base to be hellish to get threw because if you somehow you get threw my castle and kill me I don’t want you to ever be able to sleep sound again

1 Like

How susceptible are golems to necromancers trying to control them?

1 Like

I don’t recall seeing a magic stat - will our WK be able to perform necromancy/create constructs or will those tasks fall to one of our minions?

1 Like

Puppets are usually kept featureless for that reason, they get too close to the uncanny valley for comfort for most people. But if you want to have your own squad of nightmare fuel puppets, it’s possible though the Grey Tower are pretty much the only ones making or selling them.

While they’re under control, they can’t be hijacked by necromancy, it’s too different from actual necromancy for a necromancer to be able to wrench control of the soul away from the owner. Once they awaken, they are completely uncontrollable.

Well, I’m doing some work on the stats. The MC can potentially become a very powerful necromancer, but since the MC is the “sorcerer” type of mage, making constructs is not something they know how to do. The MC doesn’t have any background as a wizard or as an enchanter, it’s not a set of skill they possess.

13 Likes

I feel a featureless puppet horde or one that is mean to actually look pleasant has its own brand of scary than if it was designed to look terrifying cause if you have one designed like demons or some such thing to use as a gaurd you get what you expect but imagine just a completely blank group or one that looks strangly like a puppet show entertainer would use to preform for children trying to kill you not only scary but probably deeply disturbing (

4 Likes

So my dream house of mannequin servants can become a reality?

Can we like… eat? Absorb? Souls to gain new skills? I wanna be a Renaissance wright king.

2 Likes

How dangerous are vampires?
How common are they?
Can they turn to bats?
Can they blend in with mortal populace?

Also how common is magic?

And finally are artificers a thing?

2 Likes

“even in number weaklings are weaklings still”… pawn is that you?

3 Likes

Wolves hunt in packs and are afraid of fire!

4 Likes

I mean, you have skeletons. It’s pretty much equivalent, except skeletons can keep a part of their personality.

Well it wouldn’t work like that. If you were some kind of intellect devourer, then maybe. But the Wight King can’t learn skills with souls.

They’re more dangerous than normal undead, but have a lot of weaknesses.

There aren’t many of them left. The great clans are in hiding.

No.

Yes. But not easily.

Depends. Magic takes many forms.

Yeah, it made me laugh to reference Dragon’s Dogma then.

9 Likes

How many husks or Skeletons could a necromancer control?

1 Like

What’s the difference between a necromancer and the WK? Also the WK be controlled by a necromancer? I don’t think so.

1 Like

It depends on how powerful they are. And the way the undead are risen. If you want direct control of your undead, you won’t be able to raise a lot, but if you raise them as autonomous entities you can potentially raise an infinite number of them. Except autonomous raising is very taxing and you can’t raise many of them at once.

Necromancy is a discipline. Being a Wight King is innate, it can’t be learnt unlike necromancy. Anyone with a potential for magic may become a necromancer.

The Wight King can’t be controlled by a necromancer, the willpower required to control a Wight King is far beyond what a mortal could muster. But they could use their powers to hinder a Wight King.

You guys probably now about the quarantine/lockdown in France by now. Well, it’s not like it’s a problem for writing, but it might be trouble for me getting my degree. So, I don’t know, we’ll see what happens. Stay safe.

21 Likes

I wish you the best of luck

2 Likes

Maybe this is just me or it’s going to change later on in the story, but I felt like many of our choices didn’t have any real impact in the demo. The prologue I understand, since that’s just an elaborate (and incredibly well written) fight scene, but the later chapters don’t have many choices either. I felt like I was forced into one path with very minor ways to affect the story rather than actually being able to have an impact on it

2 Likes