The Wight King(WIP) - Chapter 6 added (12/01/2023)

Nah you’re destined to make a quick getaway there friend. That guy is a beast

3 Likes

Asterius is one of the strongest paladins alive, he may have been rusty but yeah. You’re not meant to win that fight, not in this situation, not against that man.

With the circumstances of the fight, the best you can do is deal as much damage as possible to him, and get out with your skin thankfully still attached.

15 Likes

I’m not gonna ask one way or another for obvious reasons, but it’s interesting you say “one of the strongest”. I can’t help but wonder how many come close to his level. Or maybe even surpassed it :eyes:. I also can’t wait to see what the top echelons of other the other ‘factions’ will look like. This is in pretty much every aspect the WiP I look forward to the most on this whole mf platform.

3 Likes

You also haven’t seen him at full power yet. The gap widened between him and those who surpassed him. He’s been kept on a leash by the people who feared or envied him, forcing him to let his sword rust in its scabbard, but things have changed.

I have a lot of fun thinking about them. I already have some very clear ideas for antagonists from the church proper, the ‘loyalist’ Arkadian army and the forces that you caught a glimpse of in the last update.

There’s also a lot I want to do with characters that are more neutral in the conflict. That can either end up with or against you depending on your actions.

8 Likes

Just read through like the entire lore and Q&A google doc. I am absolutely obsessed with the worldbuilding and history of the world you have created.

3 Likes

I’m making progress on the new stat screen. I could have a first prototype of it soon, and then I’ll start working on applying that system to the choices and interactions of the incoming chapter. The code is kind of bloated, because I just assume there’s probably no way to make it neater, but hey, I just have to write all of that once.

There will be more occasions to expand on this world, and to let you experience it firsthand, like in the next chapters. But I do love what it’s turning into.

15 Likes

Hey, love what u got here: world building is fascinating and the action kept me on my toes, the characters that are presented made me wish to have more interactions with them and meet others more.

My bad, didn’t realize the issues were already reported :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Don’t worry it’s fine, I haven’t updated the game with the fixes yet. Thank you anyway.

4 Likes

I love the game, you’re doing great dude!

1 Like

Hey, I have the start of a working testing module for the new stats, it’s pretty barebones right now but all the mechanics are pretty much done, I’m working on adding scenes to it so you can see the effect of different settings as a sort of proof of concept. Also working on the new stat screen itself, nothing is final but I think it should be better than the old one.

My new job takes a lot of my time, but I’ll try to finish it by the end of the month.

22 Likes

Take care and good luck with your new job!

3 Likes

To talk a little bit more about how I’m thinking traits would come into play with the new system.

In dialogues and other situations that will involve them, choices will be associated with a trait and influenced by their degree, these traits will modify the outcome of the choice, the way it is played out, how other characters might react, the way it might branch, etc.

Trait-influenced choices will also often be modified by other traits your character possesses, giving even further nuance to the character’s actions.

Traits will sometimes open options, questions or such that another character might not care about / would not even consider.

Outside of choices, traits might also influence how your character would react to whatever is happening, or how they feel about something.

I’ll also explain a little more about what the traits represent. (I did my best for the trait names, if you can think of a better alternative, it’s welcome). This is also a very compact and probably obscure explanation of what the traits will actually do, but that’s why I want to give you more practical examples.

Compassion/Cruelty: (Paragon/Kind/Relative/Callous/Cruel)

The character’s general disposition toward people. While not necessarily about being good or evil, it does act as a moral compass for the wight king. How much is acceptable, how far they’re willing to go, but also the reasons why they might do or not do something. A compassionate wight king might save someone’s life for the sake of it, while a cruel one would save them for their own gain. A compassionate wight king might balk at the idea of hurting those they consider innocent even if it’s necessary, while a cruel wight king wouldn’t bat an eye.

Honor/Ruthlessness: (Chivalrous/Honorable/Opportunistic/Cunning/Ruthless)

The character’s disposition toward codes and the importance of principles. A honorable wight king will give more value to their word and the word of others, being upfront and honest, doing things “the right way” and obeying their own code of values. A ruthless wight king will generally have no problem at all throwing away any principle they have for their own gain, teaching people a lesson in trickery and deceit, and breaking any and all rules that could possibly get in the way.

Pride/Humility: (Imperious/Prideful/Confident/Modest/Humble)

How self-important the wight king feels. A prideful wight king will tend to see themselves as above others, destined for greatness, and owed reverence and privilege. A humble wight king will tend to be more self-aware, act more grounded and be uncomfortable about obsequiousness, flattery and the idea they might be greater than the common man.

Vulgarity/Dignity: (Noble/Knightly/Common/Vulgar/Crass)

How much the wight king cares about their image, how they act in public. A vulgar wight king will tend to be much looser with the way they behave and present, showing little respect, caring little for pleasantries and etiquette. While a dignified wight king will tend to act with respect, present in a clean and elaborate way, behaving in a more noble way.

Hedonism/Austerity: (Hedonistic/Indulging/Temperate/Reserved/Austere)

How much the wight king indulges in their most base desires. A hedonistic wight king will seek out self-satisfaction through any mean, and are more likely to go out of their way for it, they will tend to take things less seriously. An austere wight king will be less swayed by their desires, and tend to put work first, they will tend to be more serious and dour.

Impulsivity/Calm: (Explosive/Impulsive/Unpredictable/Calm/Stoic)

The wight king’s level-headedness, their tendency to give in to their emotions. An impulsive wight king will tend to be more proactive and be more affected by their emotions, reacting sometimes in extreme ways. Calm wight kings will rein in their emotions, be more patient and act and react in more deliberate ways.

Pragmatism/Idealism: (Pragmatist/Cynic/Skeptic/Romantic/Idealist)

The wight king’s belief in ideals. A pragmatic wight king will care about results above anything else, the outcome of the action is more important to them than the meaning behind it, to them the end justify the means. An idealistic wight king will care more about the meaning behind actions than the result, generally they will fight for the cause first and foremost and will care more about the means of achieving something than what it actually achieves.

P.S.: I think I’ll just work on chapter 6 with that system and include it into the demo of the system instead of some kind of disembodied example that I first intended, that will be way easier.

40 Likes

Is the mc powerful as the gods also this kinda like total Warhammer 2

2 Likes

Interesting.
Suppose I go down a unique trait path for my character and suppose that path holds cruelty and ruthlessness in high regard. Now if a hypothetical situation pops up where a NPC faces death and we can either save them or not. Being high ruthlessness and cruelty, will we be locked out of that save/not save choice even if we want to act otherwise than what we’ve been acting, say, perhaps we want to save the NPC due to our characting forming a bond over time.

6 Likes

Good question. I specifically designed the system intending for that kind of things. If there’s one thing I hate in RPGs it’s this. You’re playing a morally challenged character, sure, but that doesn’t mean they have to be a complete psychopath who’s completely incapable of forming bonds with people. Even assholes have friends.

What I didn’t want from this system is to lock you out of things and force you down paths you don’t want, rather I want to bring nuance and give your character more paths to follow, with their own unique perspective.

Instead of locking you out of the choice, it might give your character a different point of view for choosing to do this. Maybe your character is thinking of the potential that would be wasted if that person dies, or perhaps beyond the cruelty and ruthlessness, there’s still some mercy in your character. It will also have a different impact on your character and other characters, in a way, a show of compassion from someone who’s renowned as a monster of a person might be even more powerful of an action than from a heroic paragon.

Even if you play as a cruel tyrant, you won’t be forced into the “stupid evil” alignment. I don’t want to punish you or railroad you for playing in a certain way. Except if you do something so extreme there’s no other possible end to your path than the one you brought on yourself.

45 Likes

YES.
I get it. I’m shaping my character with the character traits and the choices but that doesn’t mean I’m locking MC out voluntarily from all scenarios leading down to a path that is not in par with our traits. That’s very nice. Gives the player enough agency to make key decisions in certain moments while maintaing a specific trait system for the MC which makes the story more flavourful. A delicate balance.

Awesome work🍻

14 Likes

Oh, man! This has some serious old school dark fantasy vibes. I’m looking forward to the next update!

12 Likes

Someone has to reply or this thread is gonna close…

9 Likes

I got a “break” from work because I broke my foot, which admitedly isn’t worth the suffering. :melting_face:

A little teaser from the next chapter perhaps?

Scars

Her amber gaze lost in the horizon, she began speaking with the tone of a storyteller. “On a cold winter night, just like this one. A young hunter tracks a beast to prove her worth. The quarry had led her on for an entire day, she was wary but restless. Impatient.” She insisted on that last word with a growl and wicked smirk.

“She doesn’t notice the tracks disappear just a few meters further, busy as she is trying to get the frost off her trembling fingers. And she realizes too late…” She paused for effect, looking directly into my eyes. “The careless hunter turns to prey.”

Her eyes returned to the void, like amber canvases reflecting old nightmares. “It pounces too fast, her mind is as numb as her body. She nearly slips in the snow, and all she succeeds in doing is keeping her head attached to her neck, even as a claw catches her cheek… and tears through.” Her thumb idly traced the outline of the scar.

“The adrenaline keeps her from screeching just yet. But she falls on her back, stumbles for her bow. The beast turns to run her down, it pounces for her neck again. She sees her life flash before her eyes, but her fumbling fingers find her knife.” Her breathing had become eerily regular, even as she stroked the curved handle of the knife strapped to her chest.

“She lashes out, and gouges the beast, she stumble to pounce back at it as it cowers. She flails with her blade, once, twice, again and again until she loses count.” An odd twitch animated her fingers even as she punctuated her words.

The elf raises her head towards the night sky and takes a deep breath. “The beast stops moving long before she does. And it’s all she can do to rest on its bloody flank for a while. And then? She sewed her cheek close with a bone needle and shivering hands.”

“She finally got the beast on her back and she walked 'till she passed out. The end.”

She turned back towards me, with a faraway, nostalgic light in her eyes but a grimly serious look on her face. “If I’ve one lesson to teach, it’s to fear overconfidence. The slightest mistake can make you pay the ultimate price. Take a hint from a foolish hunter won’t you?”

I might post more of these if you enjoy it?

57 Likes

On behalf of the good folk of this thread, AYE!!

10 Likes