The Wight King(WIP) - Chapter 6 added (12/01/2023)

1.) If they were in torpor wouldn’t that mean that they would have obtained the power of the wight king sometime before they died? and hence the power only awakened after death occurred?

2.) If you aim to be a good wight king would a main struggle be against the entity within them? Trying maintain your humanity and not fall to the dark side?

6 Likes

Been a long fourteen months.

5 Likes

Hey everyone, I’ve recently come out of a period of difficult work, hopefully to never get a job like that again. But I’m back on working with more focus on the next update.

One of the things that appeared to me as I near the completion of one of the chapters, is that the more I wait to start implementing the infrastructure for the new stat system, the harder it will be to progress efficiently.

While I can sort of work with a partial implementation, it would be a band-aid and it slows my work on actual content. So, I’ll need to start seriously working on converting old stat checks, choices in early character creation and such, as well as completely reworking the stat screen and the different variables used by them.

As you can imagine, the coding is far more complex with this new system, which isn’t an issue in itself but it will take time. I’ll figure it out, it will just take some serious thinking to make something that isn’t basically post-apocalyptic scrapwork code.

Right now, I’ve designed the seven defining traits for your character’s personality in that way:

• Impulsive or Deliberate
  • Compassionate or Cruel
  • Dignified or Vulgar
  • Honorable or Ruthless
  • Hedonist or Austere
  • Prideful or Humble
  • Pragmatist or Idealist

Each side would have three tiers, depending on how far toward either extreme your character is leaning. They are also meant to interact with and influence each other.

It’s not really known when exactly the powers of the Wight King manifests. But it has never manifested in a living being.

It will always be a struggle. But I wouldn’t talk about a dark side, it’s the nature of the undead to slowly lose their humanity if they do not struggle to keep it but this loss of humanity can take many forms.

Losing their humanity is not simply about “turning to the dark side”, it doesn’t mean they would turn to evil. An inhuman being does not even think in term of good and evil anymore, their rationale, their values and the way they perceive the world, people and their actions is completely different.

Some undead lose any ability to reason, others lose all empathy, some become cold machines or demented animals. Some would see it as insanity but sanity itself becomes a foreign concept to creatures who have a radically different way of thinking and being.

If you aim to be a good Wight King, do what you believe is good. No matter what you choose, we all struggle.

It has. For all of us.

54 Likes

Amen.

5 Likes

Glad to see you well :v:t3:

4 Likes

Haven’t really seen the game in a while, glad to see that things are starting to go well! This was one of the first games I played here, and one of my favorites (:
I think remaking the personality system is a good idea, despite all the work that’ll to have to be done.
I wish you luck, and hopefully it’ll be smooth sailing after it’s done.

11 Likes

This wip feels like Berserk, a new chapter every 20 years but everytime it’s worth it

22 Likes

You aren’t wrong, it’ll definitely be worth it lol. Even for as long as it kinda slipped my mind, it still stuck out enough for me to remember and search it up again.

9 Likes

I see mention of Berserk, I press F to pay my respects.

19 Likes

It’s quite the flattering comparison, maybe being slow as hell as it perks after all.

I really feel like I’ve done something right if it sticks with you for so long.

Of all the shitty things that happened this year, this was among the most awful. He was an inspiration for generations of writers and artists of all kind, myself included, and his passing left behind a void that may never be filled. But if his work is anything to go by, he would want us to keep struggling.

37 Likes

I don’t know if this is part of the game but when I tell my name to the paladin it changes my name? The name i chose for my character was Alice and it changed it to Alsya, is that supposed to happen?

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve looked into it and it was just something I forgot to change in the variables. It will be fixed in the next update. Thanks for letting me know.

15 Likes

I need coffee.

Hey. Soon™. Except for real this time.

I’ve been able to work a lot on the chapter today, and I’ve made decent progress, enough that I feel comfortable saying I might actually finish this soon.

I had made things, way too complicated and convoluted for myself I have to admit (for no reason by the way, it literally added nothing to the scene). And that really didn’t help with working on it. But right now I believe I’ve gone in the right direction. One of the paths is nearly finished, and the other just needs the final scene.

Hopefully, I’ll come back soon with good news. Thanks for your patience, I feel like centuries have elapsed.

Edit: It was a very difficult chapter for me, for whatever reason. The next chapters are more fun to write.

87 Likes

You can take all the time in the world and I will be still waiting for the update, cause I know that at the end something amazing will come up.

9 Likes

Really enjoy the game.

4 Likes

omg i forgot this wip existed but replaying it again made me remember why i enjoyed it so much. Can’t wait for whats instore

6 Likes

Take all the time you need, this wip is amazing I’m really looking forward to the next chapter when it comes out !^^

9 Likes

Hey man, your WIP is one of the first I played on here and remains to this day one of my favorites for sure. You can take all the time you need and I’m sure like myself, all your fans will still be here. With that being said I hope you aren’t pushing yourself too hard. I look forward to reading your next chapter a hundred times like I have your last 4.

10 Likes

Glad things are going well for you man! Super exited to give a review on the new chapters once they’re polished and ready :^) I’m glad you got through that rough patch in that difficult chapter.

9 Likes

This is one of my favorite wips and I can’t wait for the next update. If possible can you add the scythe? If that’s not to much to ask for, the scythe is my favorite weapon or you can modify the pic de corbain to be more scythe like nd how you portrayed the mc is awesome. The first chapter nd it’s already showen that mc is badass and the fight scene OMG don’t get me started. This is already one of favorite books lol

10 Likes