The Wayhaven Chronicles General Discussion (SPOILER FREE FOR BOOK THREE!)

The Shaggy defense.

Regarding embarrassment, there’s no “if” about it. She’s already been in an argument with her mother, in front of strangers, to the point Nate tried to intervene. Plus Bobby is her ex so that will come up sometime…

1 Like
well, golly...

What is your detective’s most embarrassing moment?

“Every moment I’m alive and breathing on this earth is most embarrassing because my continued existence is an embarrassment to all,” Oliver says, flashing a winning smile.

Tbh, he’s kind of not likely to actually get embarrassed about things? He’s got such a low opinion of himself that anything that might typically be considered “embarrassing” is something that would just make him go “well, no shit I did that thing. Whatevs.”

That said… I keep kinda coming back to this one image. Or scene, rather? A tentative headcanon, I guess?:

dun expect quality, lol

Is stupid late. He’s in his office, hacking away at some paperwork, but he’s basically done for the night. About to call it quits. Pandora’s on, classic rock station, no headphones right now because he’s pretty sure he’s alone so who’s he gonna bother? And then “Fat Bottomed Girls” comes on. He pauses it after mumbling along to the first few lines because all of a sudden he feels this insistent itch at the back of his brain --the itch to PERFORM-- and he seems to be in the mood to scratch it. So. You know what? Fuck it. He goes to the door, glances around the station – empty – calls out a firm “hello?” just to be sure. No response. Closes the door, turns the volume up, presses play and then… it’s an astonishingly quick escalation from bopping along in his chair to dancing around his office using his stapler as a mic, going full-on Freddie Mercury.

So he’s dancing. He spins to face the door – which is open now?? and oh, hey Adam – and then he drops the mic stapler, practically dives over his desk to close out of Pandora. His mind’s going warp speed as he gathers up his stuff and shuts down his computer, gets ready to leave –

When did he get here? Wait, it was his turn to babysit me today, wasn’t it? Where had he been? Didn’t he say something something sweeping the perimeter or something? Am i making that up? How much did he see? Doesn’t matter because any amount is too much. Shit. Shit.

He doesn’t even look at or acknowledge Adam as he locks his office and starts to head out of the station. He has no idea what Adam might be thinking – the dude might even be talking at him right now and he wouldn’t even notice. Not that it matters what he had to say at this point. Because god damn it. Oliver’s cover has been blown.

No boring, unassuming human being would ever get caught going full Freddie Mercury.

And how would they react if they did something embarrassing in front of UB?
Generally? A snort of laughter. A sardonic shrug and a “whoops, I guess?” Or “ha HA, that was really embarrassing” and then he moves on with his day.

[As for the stuff like what’s under the cut up there, eventually it won’t matter because he’s just gonna drop the whole -boring dude- shtick because “it doesn’t seem to be working for some reason, so you motherfuckers are just gonna have to come to the conclusion that I suck the old fashioned way. Don’t say I didn’t try to warn you or anything.”

So any residual embarrassment that might result from being ‘caught out’ on something like the above would be met with an overdramatically resigned “welp, ya caught me.”]

2 Likes

Er, saying the wrong name during sex

I’m not sure how she can embarrass herself in UB’s presence short of running into them naked.
But if she did embarrass herself in front of UB, her response will be to give out a nervous laugh, turn around and walk off pretending the whole incident never happened.

4 Likes

These are my answers

Summary

This is probably going to be different than what i wrote for my ocs up there so lets treat them like entirely new detectives.
What does your MC like in other people?
•Alex and Alexandra(they’re two characters in one) are more picky on the things they like in people. Alex tends to like people who can stand up for themselves even if their on the weaker ground and Alexandra tends to like people who have an answer for everything(even when wrong.)
•For Jean(Male and non binary) and Jamie the answer to this question would be similar to Alex answer, but not to an extreme(so, in other words they don’t care)
•for Michael and Michaela like james and jamie they don’t care as long as that certain person is nice and sweet and…wait a second.
•for max and Lily they tend to like people who do good things from the kindness of their heart not for selfish reasons

What does your MC dislike in other people?
•for Alex and Alexander when people think they’re better than someone else. (Which is ironic judging from their personality.)
•for Jean and jamie they tend to dislike people who are super happy(though this isn’t always the case.)
•For Michael and Michaela they dislike people who aggressive and violent(no explanation there)
•For max and Lily as long as their good they like them.

How does your MC behave around people they like?
•for Alex and Alexander when their around people they like they tend to be nicer and usually wouldn’t mind laughing or cheesing at their jokes or throwing in their own joke.
•For Jean and Jamie when they like someone they wouldn’t mind sitting near or hugging them(it’s rare so when it happens its surprising.)
•For Michael and Michaela…well they like pretty much everyone so everybody probably seen the way they act around people they like.
•For max and Lily it pretty much the same answer as Michael and Michaela.

How does your MC behave around people they don’t like?
•for Alex and Alexander they get more hostile,insult them and mostly ignore them.
•For Jean and Jamie same as Alex and Alexander but minus the insult them part.
•For Michael and Michaela like Jean and Jamie they ignore them might though they might throw an insult in there too.
•max and Lily would probably just ignore them. (Simple as that.)

Describe a scenario in which your MC feels most comfortable.
•for Alex and Alexander when nobody’s being hostile.
•For Jean and Jamie when they’re around family and that family dog they like to keep around.
•for Michael and Michaela when everyones having fun, no hostility, no fights just happiness.
•For max and Lily its the same as Michael and Michaela answer.

Describe a scenario in which your MC feels most uncomfortable
•For Alex and Alexander when everybodys talking about them,usually their okay with people talking about them, but when people are pointing and staring and well… maybe even laughing at them its where they draw the line.
•For Jean and Jamie when they’re not around people they know. (So pretty much everyday)
•For Michael and Michaela when everyones pretty much angry at them (doesn’t matter them the reason if they’re angry they’re uncomfortable.)
•For max and Lily its a mixture of both Michael and Michaela answer and Alex and Alexander answer.

Summary

•despite Alex and Alexander not being easily embarrassed, their most embarrassing moment was being caught in the nude by their family members(well i think that’s pretty embarrassing for everyone)
If they were caught naked by ub i don’t think it would be embarrassing for them anyways(and maybe for ub depending on how much they know them)
•Jean and Jamie embarrassing moment would be when they were caught in a awkward position with someone.
This assuming one of the ub members wasn’t the one they were caught in a awkward position with? Then they’ll be pretty mortified probably have to take a breather for a second.
•For Michael and Michaela when they tried to bake something for an party and they went to sleep and the stove caught on fire… pretty embarrassing.
Well if this happened while ub was there I’m pretty sure they would notifie them if the stove was burning or smoking… maybe.
•Luckily for max and Lily they never had an embarrassing moment happen to them. (…lucky)

Also i know i have too many ocs but all of them are two or three characters in one and used to experiment the difference between the MC gender and personality in this game.

2 Likes
Charlotte's answers:

What does your MC like in other people?

Kindness and humor.

What does your MC dislike in other people?

Callousness and stoicism.

How does your MC behave around people they like?

(I assume by ‘like’ that you mean ‘find pleasant’ rather than ‘romantically attracted to’.)

She tries her hardest to make the other person smile and laugh as much as they make her smile and laugh.

How does your MC behave around people they don’t like?

Lots of restrained smiles and polite wording. She’s not nearly so open as when she’s around people she likes.

Describe a scenario in which your MC feels most comfortable.

Opening night for a Star Wars movie and she and the other people in line are speculating on the plot or quoting the other movies.

Describe a scenario in which your MC feels most uncomfortable

At the dentist’s office when they’re already working on her mouth but the dentist asks a question anyway. Charlotte freezes up—does she answers? Can she answer? How can she respond? Is the dentist waiting for her answer oh my fucking god ANSWER ALREADY.

Warning!

She’s a dork! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you’re in the NSFW thread, then you’ve already heard this, but for those who are not:

She had asked a professor out, only for the professor (who hadn’t known it was a date) to realize that it was a date and to very loudly and adamantly explain to Charlotte that he was gay.

Her second most embarrassing moment?

The first time she met Verda and almost asked him out—if Tina hadn’t asked about the picture of Verda’s family sitting on his desk, it would’ve been the Lit. Professor Fiasco 2.0.

10 Likes

More questions (I’m really probing into your MC private life. Hehe):

• What position does your character sleep in? Does their sleeping position match their personality?
  • Write your MC’s signature, and then your MC’s print? What MC’s handwriting reveal about them? (I know that not everyone knows handwriting analysis, so you can skip the second question if your want.)
  • What is one thing nobody should ever say to your MC? (I’m expecting some interesting responses to this. Hehe)
  • Does your MC like themselves?
2 Likes
Keiji

What position does your character sleep in? Does their sleeping position match their personality?

Mostly on his stomach. It’s a very closed position, quite literally turning his back on the world, which for him is mostly a defensive thing

also: so many pillows

What is one thing nobody should ever say to your MC?

oooh that’s a good question. he has a lot of selfhatred and issues but I’m having trouble thinking of a way to wrap that up into a single neat sentence. in the ot3 au I have with @SomethingSome “Your family was right about you” would work cause there he has a garbage family but Rebecca is a good mom so that doesn’t work

hmmmmmm. “They’re better off without you”?

Does your MC like themself?

No.

Jay

What position does your character sleep in? Does their sleeping position match their personality?

On his stomach, though in contrast to keiji the closed-off-ness is less defensive and more because people are tiring (and this way when he does end up in a relationship his partner can gently kiss his back between his shoulder blades while he’s still half asleep which is just such a sweet image)

another difficult one. Jay’s a pretty confident dude, not in the arrogance sense but in a way where he’s just comfortable and at- oh nope nvm can’t believe I almost forgot his one major self-image/identity issue aka his sadism. “You’re just as much a killer as the creatures you claim to protect your town from” would hit him nice and hard.

Yes

Tanwen

I’m not actually sure? maybe on her side? when with a partner she’s a real clingy cuddler in her sleep and invariably really embarrassed about it in the morning

“It should have been you who died instead of your sister.” or “You’ve never really helped anyone.”

mmmmmmmmaybe?

Val

Curled up on their side in a fetal position, looking to all the world perfectly content and relaxed if not for the minute tension in their shoulders and spine.

“You are no more than what she made you.”

They do, yes. They are fond of the sense of identity they have found and made for themself.

3 Likes

@michellexylee

Emma

Curled up on her side spooning a pillow. I don’t know how much it matches her personality, but it makes her feel secure.

Cassandra

She sleeps on her back, usually winds up with an arm above her head. She’s more at ease in her sleep then she is when awake.

Hayden

Sleeps however she can, but usually winds up sleeping on her stomach/side.

Write your MC’s signature, and then your MC’s print? What MC’s handwriting reveal about them? (I know that not everyone knows handwriting analysis, so you can skip the second question if your want.)

…I don’t know about any of that, but…

Emma

Writes quickly, and moderately neatly. Doesn’t write in cursive unless she needs to.

Cassandra

Writes slowly, elegant and flowing.

Hayden

The term ‘chicken scratch’ comes to mind. Harsh, fast, and usually un-readable. (She can write much neater, just doesn’t care to.)

What is one thing nobody should ever say to your MC? (I’m expecting some interesting responses to this. Hehe)

Emma

Anything about her being bad at her job. She takes her work extremely seriously, and anyone saying she didn’t would stress, upset, and infuriate her.

Cassandra

She doesn’t have the greatest self-esteem, so anyone blatantly poking at that would seriously upset her.

Hayden

“God, it’s like you don’t even care!”

Does your MC like herself?

Emma

…She’s content. Usually. She has a tendency to expect too much from herself and get frustrated when she can’t meet her expectations.

Cassandra

Yeah.

Hayden

Most of the time.

2 Likes

I was unaware that the positions in which one sleeps can tell something about one’s personality?
Something like: when someone sleeps in a foetal position they are introvert and when they are all spread out with their limbs they are extrovert?
What about when someone moves and wriggles a lot in their sleep? Does that mean they have an unruly personality?
Or wait, talking in one’s sleep?! What does that mean? Once I sang in my sleep, woke up my father when I did… OR!? What about sleepwalking?
I am going to research this when I have the time…

2 Likes

Actually, it’s nothing to do with being an introvert and extrovert.

• Fetal position: Tough exterior on the outside, but very shy and sensitive on the inside. Typically shy when first meeting them, then tend to open up and relax quickly. Overthink problems and worry unnecessarily.
  • Star position (sprawled out over the entire bed): Very loyal pals and make friendship a huge priority in their lives. Always eager to lend an ear and will go out their way to help when they can. Don’t like being the center of attention, but don’t mind if they find themselves there from time to time.
  • Freestyle postion (changes positions in their sleep): Bold and sociable on the outside, but typically don’t have the thick skin to deal with criticism or absurd situations.

I… I don’t know about this, but I don’t think it relates to personality, it’s kind of a sleep disorder.

2 Likes

Oh, thank you for all this information!

Well, now we know that F is a freestyle sleeper, that is cute as a bunny. Or, preferably, cute as a Red Panda or Raccoon.

Well… how fortunate for me…

1 Like

Sad but true.
xD I used to talk in my sleep and sleepwalk a lot when I was younger.

1 Like

Actually Sera had mentioned in an Ask the sleeping positions of each UB member. Here it is:

Hard to imagine F as “shy, over-thinker, worrier”, but I guess there’s more to F than we see in Book 1.

2 Likes

Exactly! I was like:
What…? How can F be this shy…?

I had not seen that one coming… at all.

Now I cannot wait for our MC’s to get to know F better <3
Dear lord, this brings whole dimensions - what am I saying?! Endless galaxies full of stars and unicorns - to their character.

1 Like

(Oliver swallows nervously, drums his fingers furiously against his thigh. “Haven’t… haven’t you told them enough about me by now? Can you stop this? Please?”)

i simply smile and shake my head. it will never stop. he is not safe.

Actually trying to sleep: On his left side, curled up. Then on his right. On his stomach. -beat- Tilting ever so slightly so that technically he could probably be curled up on his right side, but his stomach’s still mostly touching the bed. Hmph. Back on his left side. On his back. Left side. Stomach. Back. Right side. — Sitting up. Walking away.

Actually getting sleep: falling into bed, letting gravity do its thing, then… who knows? Is a roulette.

Overthinking and not actually doing the thing vs just doing the thing “last minute” (read: bone. Ass. Tired.) and actually getting it did? Sounds like a Oliver to me.

Wait…

Oh. Nope. Man, that does not sound like him at all.

Write your MC’s signature, and then your MC’s print? What MC’s handwriting reveal about them? (I know that not everyone knows handwriting analysis, so you can skip the second question if your want.)
( I’m putting this here as a reminder to myself to do this. And as a placeholder.)

What is one thing nobody should ever say to your MC? (I’m expecting some interesting responses to this. Hehe)
“[I did this/I love you/etc.] for you.”
(-panic sets in- “Why?!”)

[Bonus!: “…and costumes are mandatory.”
(-strokes chin, already locked on to a costume idea, mind whirring with basic characterization details and all the shit he’d have to research to get things absolutely right. And is there actually enough time to prepare?- “Two things: one, that’s a terrible fucking idea. And, two, just letting you know now, you are making an enormous mistake. Do not say I didn’t warn you.”)

Does your MC like [him]self?
“Give me some time,” he says, smiling affably, “and I’ll have a detailed list of reasons as to why you shouldn’t like me. Or we could have, like, a two minute conversation and you can see for yourself. But I’m kiiiiiind of digging the list thing, so…” He begins to scribble furiously.

(Shorter answer: narp)

4 Likes

Henriette: “I really need retail therapy after answering these.”

Henriette sleeps in a semi-fetal position.
Semi-fetal sleepers are said to be spontaneous, compromising, and conciliatory nature; peaceable and non-threatening - which does match Henriette’s personality.

Signature:
Henriette_Signature

Analysis:

• Legible signature: confident and comfortable in her own skin.

Print:
Henriette_Handwriting

Analysis:

• No slant: logical and practical; guarded with your emotions.
  • Average-sized writing: strong ability to focus and concentrate.
  • Small spaces between words: enjoys the company of others.
  • Pointed letters: intelligent, but might be holding back aggression.
  • Average pressure on words: committed.
  • Closely dotted “i”: organised and detail-oriented mind.
  • Lowercase “t’” crossed up high, you likely have many goals and aim high.
  • Narrow and retraced “l”: restrictive of herself.
  • Wide “e” loops: open-minded and willing to try new things.

“Who did you have to sleep with to get that promotion/raise?” (Ouch!)

Yes, sort of. She is happy for the things she has in life, but there’s something hollow and empty about her life:

• She has no goals or ambitions in life, nothing to inspire her, and so has no idea what is the next step to take - which leads to her feeling very insecure.
  • She is kind of lonely - without Rebecca or any significant other by her sides - and often wishes for her life to be complete.

Henriette: *rushes to the mall*

2 Likes

please continue to probe it’s so much fun learning about everyone’s MCs!

Blaire - Foetus; shy, over thinker, worrier, slow to reveal emotion - yep that sounds exactly like him!
Sienna - Yearner; slow decision maker, suspicious, cynical - doesn’t match her in the slightest, and she would be worried what that says about her if she learned what her sleeping position meant.

Blaire - I think any comment that compares him to someone else or mentions how difficult it is for him to really settle on things. These are things he’s very much aware of and doesn’t like others drawing attention to it.
Sienna - Oohh, hm, tough. At this point, I think something that compares her to Rebecca because she’s still struggling to reconnect with her or something that makes her sound delusional for being so positive and optimistic. So maybe something like, “When will you ever get a reality check?” would probably hit her hard.

Blaire - Sometimes. Generally he thinks good of himself and can hold himself to a high degree, but it’s a double edged sword in that it’s very easy for him to think the opposite too. He puts a lot of pressure on him to live up to certain expectations, some that don’t even exist, so it’s very easy for him to think lowly of himself if he feels he’s not doing enough.
Sienna - Yes, yes she does. Sienna has a moderate amount of self confidence and tends to ooze positivity. She firmly believes that one has to love themselves first before they can love others and practices that on a daily basis.

2 Likes

N definitely would and likely would try to turn it into reality, lol.

Suavewell strikes again.

F would obviously be up for that, and also would be keen to use that moment to show how good of a couple they could be.

:eyes: I’m curious what this would entail.

M…no, lol.

Hmmm… I’m curious if this is because M doesn’t care enough to do that kind of thing in general or if it has something to do with having feels. :thinking:

(I feel like the former is more likely but… it doesn’t have that sweet, sweet drama. Thoughts?)

Character stuff

Lauren: sleeps either in the foetal position or is a pillow-hugger. Descriptions are close but not exact.
Kira: Free-faller! It’s a pretty dead-on description of her. :slight_smile:

Lauren: Eh. Mostly.
Kira: Yup!

8 Likes

I know! And Sera does like the fake couple trope… oh god please may this be in one of the books!

2 Likes

Um, guys??

The Demo is getting closer and we’re not freaking out why???

15 Likes