The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (WIP)

Great start! I adored The Lady’s choice so I am excited that you have a new project well underway!

Also, playing as a guy interested in men I noticed that rather than Felix, the character was named Farah instead, despite him still being pretty much male. The others (Adam, Nate and Mason) are fine.

Ooh, I like this! A love triangle done right will add delicious drama~ :grin:

I am still going to aim for a harem end though :wink:

2 Likes

At the end of the demo Morgan smokes a cigarette (i’m gonna assume her lungs have atrophied so no ill effects) can the vampires consume other human things or are they only able to drink blood?

1 Like

@DevilTheCupcake - Those options sound like solid adds, I will definitely go back and put those in (the more customisation the player can have over the MC, the better!) Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

@H2O - Yeah, The Lady’s Choice is quite a bit different than Wayhaven Chronicles, but I’m having fun with it!
I think I messed up the code a bit with gay and bisexual male options, so I’ll definitely be going over that tomorrow. Thank you for picking that out! I’m looking forward to the love triangle, as the RO’s it’s between will just add to my need for melodrama :smiley: Will be interesting to see how to write and code it!

@avidreader - As long as the vampires consume human blood, they function pretty much like human beings (well, super-humans!), so they can consume other things, though they usually choose not too. The vampire senses make them super sensitive to many things- including taste, so everything is heightened for them and doesn’t make it so nice at times :smiley:

3 Likes
  • vampires (no unusual shapeshifters, poor tea)
  • no non-binary MC option, no non-binary romance option, poor tea
  • all ROs introduced so far fit standard otome/straight female-oriented VN romance archetypes, poor tea
1 Like

So the MC cooking a meal for one of the vampires isn’t out of the question (as long as we don’t end up being the meal):grinning:

1 Like

I asked for water and got coffee at the bakery scene and “Who is she?” when I was male.
I enjoyed playing the nice guy so I hope we get to play that way the whole game.
Also we can avoid romance altogether?
I usually stay single on my first go.

1 Like

Damn your other game, that Amesbury looks like one sexy bastard :yum:, too bad it hasn’t got a male mc option.

Loving this game so much love that it has funny sense of humour bit

Oh cool! I played The Lady’s Choice on itch.io, I loved it. I have a high hopes for this novel.

1 Like

I love having good choices. I love playing the hero. I don’t want to be the bad guy or the villain. I don’t want to break the laws. I want to be nice and kind and friendly and helpful to everyone. I didn’t even want to shoot anyone. And if I’m skulking around, without a warrant, I’m sure not planning on shouting out POLICE! or trying to arrest anyone either.

If you want a game where the main character is a do-gooder, then keep doing it. There’s nothing wrong with it. You could also have us become corrupted as the game continues if you really wanted. But, we’re a police officer.

I’d have liked a little bit more background on why we dislike Bobby. Something that felt real since I usually get disgruntled if the game’s telling me I dislike someone and I don’t actually. I’d rather it showed me, and have them do dislikeable things.

10 Likes

Really enjoyed the demo. Hope to see more soon (:

It was really good, love the characters.

1 Like

I can’t wait for more! I really enjoy your writing style and the characters all seem really likeable! I’m also excited for the love-triangle elements. I love me a good love-triangle. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Just played it and I can say I’m well invested in this now. Though I will say when it switched the point of view to the group I was a bit confused. Might want to say or do something that lets the reader know they are about to switch views.

OOO… Already off to a good start. I would’ve named myself Harry Dresden but i decided to go with Lucas Copperfield. Hopefully i still get to be a wiseass.

OH HEY I SEE A SARCASTIC STAT. AWESOME.

Edit 2: Awesome. Karrin Murphy, hell even Susan is here complete with the option of making her an ex… Sweet.

2 Likes

Well,i love detective and supernatural genre but both? Count me in as fan of this work

1 Like

I value your position and take on things but I feel the scene as presented is more on-point then it has been criticized as being.

A police Detective is investigating a murder and there was direct evidence showing a location the victim filmed, perhaps on death’s door. In American jurisdictions that is enough for the detective to legally be there and following up … once you search outside and hear noises on an abandoned property that is a local hangout for vagrants or worse, the detective has probable cause to enter inside…

Likewise with the gun and the shooting. The detective’s mistake is in not calling for back-up but at least in the US jurisdictions I know of, the detective has every right to apprehend anyone on the premise. Furthermore if the detective identifies herself or himself and provides warning then any shooting would be covered under the laws of that jurisdiction.

A police officer (the MC background) would be certified with a gun. The detective is too although my guess is the original certification is carrying over due to it being a yearly thing and only 6 months as a detective.

There is options that says …“I don’t want to use the gun but will if needed” … that isn’t corruption…

This is just my take on the shooting incident - ymmv.

10 Likes

Ayyy this is pretty good! And I’m a vampire fan so this works out perfectly for me hehehe :wink:

@Laguz - I hope you find an interactive fiction better suited to what you’re looking for :slight_smile:

@avidreader - Yeah, cooking for one of them would definitely be something. Not sure how their reactions would be- doubt they’ve ever had anyone cook for them before!

@Sigma11 - Thanks for catching that! I’m going through it today, so will definitely change that over. There won’t be too much romance in book one- more just introducing the romances, so as you can find who you are drawn to, before deciding who to give more time to in book two (where the romances will really make a head-start!). Though, there will be flirting and moments in book one, but yes, you can avoid those if you like :slight_smile:

@idonotlikeusernames - I was pleased with how Amesbury came out for The Lady’s Choice :smiley: Thank you!

@Harley_Robin_Evans - I like to try and keep a lightness to my writing, even though there will be serious moments to it :slight_smile:

@FairyGodfeather - I like the good characters too, so I tend to lean that way on the choices :smiley: Bobby does show up here and there throughout the series, and there will definitely be more about them and what happened! Thank you for your advice and help :slight_smile:

@Mxm124 - Thank you for playing through it, and the feedback! I’ll definitely have a think about how to better determine between the switches in POV.

@DisturbedOne - I know a little about The Dresden Files, but not enough to comment on characters- but I’m hoping it’s a good thing :smiley: Yeah, there will definitely be options to be sarcastic… mainly because I can’t help myself!

@Eiwynn - Thank you for your feedback on that scene! It was definitely a tough one to write, but I’m glad it came across as being OK. Think I’ll take another look over it. Hopefully, when the choice to not shoot is added, it will feel more comfortable for everyone as they can play it as they like.

For that scene in general, I was going with the thought that the MC hasn’t been a Detective for very long, and also when they were just a police officer, nothing happened in Wayhaven. I mean nothing :smiley: So, I think all their training might have got pushed to the side a little in favour of instinct, because they don’t have the experience of those kinds of situations… especially cause it was a little out of the norm too!

Thank you everyone for your comments! I’m going to be going over the demo today with all the feedback given, so hopefully will have an updated version up by the weekend :slight_smile:

(I was going to reply to everyone individually- but can only mention 10 users in a post :smiley: )

10 Likes

Yeah, too bad almost everyone forgets about nb genders but okay, whatever. Sure.