The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (WIP)

I don’t think A is without sympathy, but if their dislike is an act it is a good one. There is also this quote “They were human,” Ava replies. “I doubt any of them were truly innocent.” that makes me think they might have good reason to be resentful of humanity.

@Seraphinite Hi, first off I just wanted to say that your game is really awesome and really well put together, so thank you for all the hard work you’ve put into it. Second, I had a question about the love triangle. Does it matter if the MC flirts with one substantially more than the other in order for it to trigger? For example, say the MC flirts with A 15 times and only N 3 times, will this still trigger the love triangle? Lol anyway thanks again for your really sweet game!:grinning:

2 Likes

Well that’s a bit…dumb. The hole reason I complain about N is because I want to see them become more relevant and deeper. Why would I limit myself to one RO if N’s route becomes great? Seems unnecessary.

Now this…this is interesting… I wonder how perception of gender plays into the RO a player will like best at this point. :thinking:

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

1 Like

I guess it’s gender stereotyping at times. I feel like a horrible person for feeling them sometimes, but natural reflex kicks in just a little bit. I feel A as a male suits more than A as a female, because most typically ‘domineering’ women come across differently? Not necessarily softer, but more calm, terse, I’d use those adjectives rather than stoic/aggravated(ing). EDIT: Also, women who are in positions of power (especially military scenarios) tend to have good control of their tempers and emotions, and are normally in more scientific exploits, thanks to media.

Same for F, but in different ways, I guess. As a guy, I find him a bit of a lech. As a girl, I find her overbearing and annoying.

For M, as a guy, I find him a stereotype. As a girl, I find her adorable in appearance, but definitely not my cuppa in personality.

N works both ways for me, but I’d go for them as a friend most of the time, as they don’t really attract me much either way.

9 Likes

Interesting point.

I must confess I prefer gender-locked ROs, but Sera made these ROs’ personalities so engaging she made me care about them. I mean, I can see them as being both female and male… but as @Mim said, gender stereotyping exists.

For a long time, women in fiction fell in two categories; we were either the mother, or the whore. I think that maybe, just maybe, Nat gives off motherly vibes. The other 3 don’t really fit in any of those two categories so they are… uncommon.

This is my personal opinion about team Bravo:

Adam: cool. I wouldn’t mind having a beer with him.
Nate/Nat: cutie pie. Let’s talk about our feelings.
Mason: f*ck and run, run faster!
Felix: yeeeh, I really like Felix. He makes me smile.
Ava: YES.
Morgan: A really intense girl that wants to jump my bones? Yes.
Farrah: flirty friendship is flirty.

4 Likes

There’s actually a thread discussing that

Though as for Team Bravo here, I can’t really give much input since I’ve only played once and basically just paying attention to F (bc he’s my type and I’m very predictable) :sweat_smile: I’ve been meaning to play again but I keep either forgetting or getting too busy with other stuff :sweat:

1 Like

I always kinda go for the confident/arrogant women so A works out fine for me either way. N is just a good person. I have to try when I want a detective who dislikes them, but either sex works fine. F is for flirt of course which can be done by anyone. M does feel more masculine to me personally. Sure girls can be standoffish but I guess I just expect it to be more sassy and less intimidating.

Long story short I am usually ok with either sex. I usually play this game as bi so the team is mixed gender. It just feels more real to me that way for some reason.

1 Like

I would pick Nate over the other RO because a flirt one doesn’t really make me feel much. I don’t really like flirts, Adam is okay but he makes me want to punch him sometimes, and Morgan is neh because I only see her as a coworker? Nate is such a sweetheart and the scene between him and the MC is so freaking cute :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

@Seraphinite Don’t work yourself too hard. While we all have our preferences, and there’s definite team-forming, I think we all agree that we would prefer quality over quantity. We would also prefer a well-rested writer who is happy to be doing what they’re doing.

9 Likes

I was talking in generally for the don’t switch said part. Not directly at you, I know your team A all day, hence why I said anyone not just you.

I agree with @Mim, I hate saying it like that cause I normally don’t like gender stereotyping. But I like Nat calm and softer scences alot more than Ava’s but I don like Ava’s hard headed personality, idk I’m a complicated person, I like both but I like Nat a little bit more, both have the strong areas, nothing less I love this w.i.p.

3 Likes

Huh now I’m really curious.

If all genders where random every new game. Do you think the game would be better or worse for it? Setting aside the sexual orientation aspect. Do you think having x or y traits will make you like them as a man but hate them as a woman? (or any other gender identity?)

1 Like

Depends really on how you as person view it. A’s personality has much more pull to me as a male rather than a female. Though my male MC wouldn’t mind using his charms and pushing Ava’s button at times like how Patrick Jane (from The Mentalist) does with Teresa Lisbeth.

As for Nate, he is very sweet and I’m sure his route would be very romantic but I like the dynamic between my Female MC and Adam more. In the male perspective, Nat’s my favorite. I really can’t pinpoint why though.

As for F, I see them as fun friends to be with but nothing more unfortunately.

As for M, both are jerks but I wouldn’t mind doing Mason’s route since it would be nice to see an easily flustered FeMC with him. As for Morgan, I dunno my male MC might put up with her and respect her space.

3 Likes

Ooh~ Fascinating question! I must answer it! :star_struck:

I find women and men to be romantically attractive, but I find only women to be sexually attractive so this may or may not play a role into my perception of the characters. :wink:

Overall, I find all of the characters to be very engaging and, if you pull back some of the initial layers (though it does depends on the character!), possess depth - the amount of depth they possess is another matter of debate entirely! ;3

I’ve only played with an all-female Team Bravo, as a female MC, because of the point I explained above and because I think this game might go beyond just romantic attraction, but that’s probably also based on who you choose to pursue a relationship with (that’s my guess at this point in time, so I could be wrong in the future):

A - Despite her gruff exterior, she’s gotten to where she is because of her skills as the team leader, which is no small feat in that of itself.

Just think of a leader, or general, in charge of a group of soldiers. They’re the leader because they have experience, both victories and losses. They know what they’re doing works, unless they’re too prideful to admit otherwise, and they’ll keep doing what’s worked because there’s a higher chance that it’ll work in the future.

This is the thought process I apply to A. Despite the dramatic irony that I experience as a player, I do slide my detective to trust A, albeit reluctantly because dynamic relations are the BEST!, because she’s gotten herself and her team through all the crap they’ve been through, alive and seemingly well.

Overall, I’d be open to a relationship with her that’s both romantic and sexual at the same time.

F - She’s not my top pick for a relationship because I’m more intrigued in the others, but I’ve strolled down her path once or twice and it intrigues me to pick into her thought process, habits, and personality. At one point, I think, she puzzles over why humans are so finicky about contact and relationships and, I believe the implication could extend to, sex.

She could’ve grown up or spent a significant amount of time in a culture where individuals are casual about touch, think about the stereotypes of Italians who just breathe in your face. Her introduction is where she kisses you on the cheek and you have the choice of returning it! That’s a greeting found in that area of Europe, where I don’t exactly know, but it’s somewhere around there! I think…

Overall, I think I would be open to a sexual relationship, but if she wanted to pursue a romantic one, I would not be opposed to it.

M - She’s been through crap and it shows if you bring her to interview the witness to the first murder, I think. She comments on the state of the house, in contrast to N who is compassionate, and says that the resident should be grateful to have a roof over their head.

I can’t say with confidence that she lived on the street, but there is that implication she had a rough childhood. She doesn’t say much but what she does say with her dialogue and her actions, is that she hasn’t had the nicest childhood where she got everything she wanted for the holidays. In a nutshell, at least.

The second time you get a moment with her is after talking to Garrett’s mother, ya know, the car scene where she traps you in that tiny space of a car. If I shift that scene around where Morgan is instead Mason, I can say that I would be disturbed by that turn of events and what it could be if Mason wasn’t a “good guy”.

True, we’re in broad daylight, but stranger and messier things have happened despite the sun being out. If it’s Morgan in the vehicle, I’m more inclined to believe that the atmosphere is simmering with subtext, either romantic or sexual is your decision, and personally, I’m more comfortable with it.

Overall, I’m intrigued by that predator and prey dynamic that’s going on and would be open to pursuing a sexual relationship. A romantic one? … I think we’d need to talk that one out before deciding to do anything and establish what we both want from a romantic relationship, if we decided to pursue that direction.

N - A down to earth type of woman, very nice (that’s her ECM for crying out loud!), idealistic (to a point), and maybe a bit of a broken bird?

Despite her approachable personality, and I can’t believe I’m writing this, N could be fleshed out a bit more. (Edit: This is where I accidentally start to write to @Seraphinite, not @yagamikuuno, my bad. ^^;)

It’s nice that you’ve added the detail that she doesn’t get along with technology, but she’s a vampire who may or may not have been around before that technology existed and is now trying to adapt. It’s not surprising and not all that unique when you consider that she’s a vampire - just like if you applied the “can’t get along with technology” trope to seniors; some will get technology and some won’t.

Is she a bit of a stereotype? Depends on which stereotype you’re comparing her to. I’m comparing her to vampire stereotypes, and yes, she fits the bill into the angsty-vampire category.

• Feels some sort of remorse or regret about being a vampire? Check.
  • Wants to prevent humans from being involved in the supernatural because it’s not all sunshine and rainbows, it’s nasty and it’s real and it sucks? Check.
  • Point above causes them to clash with other vampires, or supernaturals, who believe that humans should do what they want and then reap the consequences? Check.

Back to the main point… Got off track, my bad.

The shy flirt options, I haven’t tried the bold ones yet, seem to be bordering on a romantic relationship and that’s the one that I’d pursue with N. A sexual relationship could come later, but I would enter in a relationship with N because of the romantic aspect, not the sexual one.

10 Likes

I have the feeling that N has more than meet the eyes that would probably slowly be revealed when you befriend or enter into a relationship with them.

6 Likes

Yeah but you remember @Seraphinite said that N has a secret that our MC mom not so fond of, so she has many more layers that over the process of the story we will see that she’s probably not the so prefect vampire we see her as now in the w.i.p

7 Likes

With all the choices to be antisocial, have negative views of people, and be angry an various things; is it possible to make the detective a misanthrope over the course of the story?

I don’t remember her saying that! Oh N has many layers it seems. Can’t wait to find out the secret :thinking:

2 Likes

@anon4518890 - I have actually written a bit more of an action scene :wink: Writing fights and action scenes are really not my forte, but it’s good to push myself and force myself to practice!

@Its_Lit_Fam - Hi, thank you for the encouraging words! :slight_smile: You don’t need to worry about flirting with any of the love interests in order to trigger the romance. There will be a set choice (most likely in Chapter 15 of Book 1) where you decide who to romance. It will be an obvious choice and you can pick whoever you want even if you haven’t flirted with them. One of the choices will be the love triangle, so you can just choose it then.

I would, however, recommend flirting with your chosen love interest from the beginning- I think it leads into the romance more smoothly that way. Also, some of the romance bits and pieces I’m writing require a certain amount of ‘flirt points’ or certain romance moments (eg the patrol scene) to trigger the scenes. The love triangle doesn’t really come into play until after the choice though (except for the smallest hint of it in one branch of Chapter 9).

Sorry, that was a really long complicated answer :smiley: Hope it made sense!

@Kelsie_Grobben - Thank you :smiley: I’ve been taking breaks on a weekend, which has really helped, and I think helps to avoid burn-out a lot more. Excited to get some real progress made!

@Billy_Bob - Your MC may hold views that humans aren’t all that great, especially after hanging with supernaturals for a while. But, then your MC might not care either way :smiley:

@AChubbyBlackCat - Ah, it’s so exciting to read your thoughts on the characters so far! As for N, you’re completely right! N is the stereotypical ‘good’ kind of vampire, the one who has the moral compass and is antsy about what they are. I was hoping to write them that way, but it doesn’t mean there isn’t more to them… :wink:

It’s really interesting to see the discussion about the characters in their different genders. (And, also the break down of the characters- which is pretty fascinating to see what people think about them this early in the story!). Obviously there are gender stereotypes, which can play a big part in how people see characters, but it’s also kind of nice not having gender-locked RO’s just because it brings out traits people wouldn’t normally write for certain genders.

But, it’s really great to know people are enjoying the cast of Wayhaven! Especially because one of the main focuses in this series is characters :smiley:

36 Likes

@AwkwardNature

No, actually, I didn’t know that. How interesting.

…but, I hope that that secret doesn’t become a cliche in itself.

@resuri08

I agree.

@Seraphinite

I am glad you enjoy my thoughts. And I’m more intrigued that you wrote N with the intention of making them a stereotype and I want to learn why now… ;3

3 Likes

I doubt it, but who knows.