The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (WIP)

Admittedly, I might’ve been slightly delirious and sleep deprived when I wrote that. But I’m back, rested, and I stand by what I said! :laughing:

I just finished another playthrough and I’m so intrigued by what’s going to happen. Namely, the dynamics between humans and supernaturals. I don’t know if I’m reading too much into this:

“Humans aren’t going away,” Nate replies, though his tone is quiet, not liking arguing with his friend either. “You’ll have to deal with that fact eventually.”

And this:

[spoiler] “It should be,” Nate replies, though some of the fight gone from his voice. “How many innocents has this vampire killed because of non-action?”

“They were human,” Adam replies. “I doubt any of them were truly innocent.” [/spoiler]

But I wonder if something happened before? :thinking:

Speaking of the Adam, I am so into the slow-burn romance that’s happening :fire: I love the tiny flickers of realization that he likes the MC :heartbeat: I think this textpost pretty sums up my OC and Adam during their spat before the cliffhanger:

My favorite trope is when two characters are in love and neither has admitted their feelings to each other yet, and then The One That’s Not In Denial™ gets hurt and The One That Is In Denial™ starts freaking out and suddenly is not in denial anymore.

Also, this is irrelevant but I was playing this when Shades of Cool by Lana Del Rey came on and it reminds me of Mason. Especially the line,
“My baby lives in shades of cool
Cool heart and hands and aptitude”.
He’s so 2 cool 4 school :sunglasses:

13 Likes

This game. It’s so great! I have quite a thing for Mason. I can not wait for the complete game. :smiley:

So true! XD A is still my favorite. I haven’t tried the other RO routes yet.

I really can’t wait for the full game. The wait is going to kill me.

2 Likes

Out of all the romances, Adam is by far my favorite but honestly Mason intrigues me. I want to know know more about him and why he acts the way he acts. And for some weird reason, I want to know in the scene where the MC has the opportunity to tell him not to smoke, is there ever a option where she’d succeed in getting him to put the cigarette out. I don’t know why but I assumed that like the bluffing scene with Douglas, it had to do with certain stat being high enough.

2 Likes

I’m so in love with Nat :yum:
But I kinda wish we could date Tina as well, haha. She’s sweet too.

5 Likes

Cannot wait for the full game! Loved the full demo and the interactions with the characters!
What stood out to me the most, is when we get to see the inner monologue of certain characters during the night-strolling scene. I loved it, helps you feel more connected to that character and makes the love interest/romance more genuine because, in a way, we get to see how they see the main character as.

I can feel the tension between Ava and Nat. (Which is great since I’m trying to aim for a love triangle thing with them :joy:)

Surprised it’s taken me this long to try this out as it’s really well crafted, especially the slow build of the relationships with the characters.

I have got to say this might end up being one of my favorites on here. I love the characters, even Mason grew on me despite him being a butt. I also love how you can flirt in different ways, you don’t have to be the bold one like you normally would and I really like that, it fits my MC much better.

Though there is one, extremely minor, thing that’s always caught my eye when replaying…

“Thanks for your worry” I feel like it should be “Thanks for your concern” or “thanks for worrying about me.” It’s a minor thing like I said but it’s always bothered me.

Otherwise I love this. Keep up the good work!

Also please help me but I really like Bobby, I have awful taste.

6 Likes

Looks like I’m late to the “this game is really great” party. I’ve really enjoyed this so far! You’ve done a good job of getting people hooked. I’m super excited to see more of this, and that cliffhanger is killing me. The characters are interesting as well, and I like the perspective shifts more than I thought I would.

That said, I found a bug (my bad if someone else has reported this): When you go to tell Kate that her son is dead, if you choose to take Nate with you, you end up playing through the entire scene again if you choose “…Let’s just get going.” after MC and Nate leave Kate’s home. All the other choices at that point seem fine, it’s just this one that causes a repeat.

1 Like

Could you please tell me why this is the best CoG I’ve ever read? And also why I’d sell my soul for more?

10 Likes

You mean you haven’t already? I sold mine a long time ago. A few days after the first draft of the demo.

9 Likes

Just finished the demo and loved it, but I’m getting this weird error, everything after chapter seven is missing! This is clearly a mistake, no kind and loving author would leave us hanging on a cliffhanger like that, so I expect this bug will be cleared up in no time. :wink:

But seriously, great demo, I really enjoyed it. I appreciated the variances in the script when choosing different characters to take with you. A minor pet-peeve of mine in games is when you have the option to choose from an assortment of people to go with you, but then they all say the same lines and do the same things, the only real difference being the name in the script. Nice job making everyone feel unique.

Let me know if you need beta testers for the rest, not sure I can wait until the official release to read more :slight_smile:

14 Likes

OK, 4th run finished, and it looks like I can no longer ignore one particular thing, as it keeps bugging me:

The MC seems to really love putting hands on their hips. At every possible opportunity. The thing is, it’s not a gesture I personally utilise or see people around me using IRL… ever (I’m not saying it’s uncommon in all parts of the world, mind, just where I live), so it feels a little weird seeing MC doing it so often. Maybe it could be replaced with some other gestures of similar meaning (ones expressing exasperation/stubborness/confusion) in some instances, like folding arms, a head tilt, a frown, something else?

16 Likes

@Ekaterina Really? I guess it all just depends on the people in the area. I put my hands on my hips all the time. It’s not usually to express any emotion, though… Wait, it might actually be my exasperation with the slow and evil elevator at the hospital parking garage.

Anyway, maybe @Seraphinite could make it flavor text if up to it? Players could pick their preferred gestures at expressing emotions?

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a big enough issue to justify creating flavour text, honestly. Simply having just a bit more variety in gestures could help a great deal.
I believe my problem with the gesture stems from the fact that “hand(s) on hip(s)” posture is associated with sass, bossiness or overconfidence in my mind, and none of these features are consistent with any MC’s personality I’ve ever created. Even when it comes to dropping stoic attitude for the sake of an occasional sardonicism, it is expressed via verbal jabs only, whilst body language remains restrained at all times.
(I’m not sure if I can explain it better than this, sorry)

7 Likes

This is what my mom drilled into me. Which is why I rarely use this gesture myself.

I use the hands on hips gesture when I get impatient so I guess this comes as aggressive to some people.

3 Likes

I was so sad when I got to the end of the demo because now I can’t wait till the full game comes out! Very well done on this. Definitely my favorite WIP. That cliffhanger O.o

12 Likes

I sqee’d in silent glee when I saw “Full Demo Released!”, and I even did more ‘EEEE~’ as I played the entire demo.

“Were the flirt choices obvious enough? Or should I make them more obvious with like, (Flirt), or something?”

I would say that that depended on who I was flirting with, and how I was flirting with them, but I wouldn’t make it more obvious. For instance, the eye-contact opportunities were pleasantly obvious. The Detective wasn’t saying anything, but it just gave those opportunities more power than the dialogue opportunities. I like how we’re given a choice of flirting options: shy or bold.

There was something that I noticed as I replayed it a couple of times. When the MC is talking to Verda on the phone at our first visit to the Warehouse, he says this “… The best way I can think of to describe it so far is that a parasitical virus has mutated the blood cells in a major way.”

By no means, am I virologist, but all viruses are intracellular parasites. They invade our body’s cells, force the cells to make copies of the virus at the expense that the cell isn’t doing its job (making copies for us), and then the baby viruses exit the cell, usually killing the host cell. It’s a bit redundant having the phrase “parasitical virus”, but I understand that it’s a vital breadcrumb about possible vampirism. :smile:

On one play through, I noticed how one of the options (after having shot A in the Warehouse, and having a strained relationship with Mum) said this, “Pull Rebecca to one side and ask her about it,” and this “I purse my lips, but eventually glance at Rebecca, who gives a nod in agreement”. I’ve always chosen the strained relationship option with Mum, and I appreciate this attention to detail. It wouldn’t align with the strained relationship aspect, if the MC referred to Rebecca as her mother - even in their thoughts.

This line - “Agent Lin is going to kill her if she finds out they lost track of her daughter. Again.” (Choosing to call A) - made me grin. I kinda want to see more behind-the-scenes interactions between the team and Agent Mum. :wink:

I will write a more in-depth reply later, but here are some of the things that I enjoyed/noticed on some of the first playthroughs of the entire demo! Thanks again for such an amazing uber duper game! I am so excited for the next books! :smiley:

9 Likes

I don’t think the hands on hips thing is really a problem; I’ve never done it myself (personally I cross my arms or throw my hands up or something) but it doesn’t bother me that the MC does it.