The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (WIP)

About this, I don’t know if it’s only me, but I find it a bit odd when the MC is male. I think folding their arms could be a more gender neutral response.

3 Likes

Agreed. I kinda have a badass female MC whoes really more masculine than feminine so that creates a contrast between her actions/dialogue choices.

I think a couple of others have brought up the hands on hip gesture, so you’re probably not the only one.

I’m personally neutral about it and just see it as a habit that Detective MC has, regardless of their gender. That and I do have friends both male and female who have done that gesture themselves when they’re about to get snarky with someone(though I will admit it is my female friends who do the action more frequently).

10 Likes

I have the same opinion, I only ever saw woman to do that.

1 Like

My bestie danny does it on a daily. He be like Hand on hips “***** I know you didnt.”

1 Like

That’s funny, because my dad has a habit of standing with a hand on his hip, especially when he’s on the phone. I’ve never thought of it as a feminine thing to do. And I think it can be imposing as well as ‘sassy’. In fact, isn’t hands on hips a classic superhero pose?

13 Likes

I think part of the reason of why it gets tagged on as a feminine pose is that the act of putting hand on a hip is often called into attention more often when it’s a girl vs a guy? Despite it being very common for both sexes to do so?

Kinda like how despite guys and girls playing video games is very common, girls still get tagged more as female-gamer/girl-gamer vs just gamer – or worse, please prove that you’re actually one of us and not a fake

Like the perception of the pose is what codefies I think more than actual gesture in itself? If I’m making sense (it’s 3am and just decided to check messages in the forum before logging off lmao)

On a fan level though: has anyone written fic for Wayhaven yet? I’ve seen a few pieces of fanart floating around already and very excited for more creative stuff to come out

7 Likes

well, im pretty good when it comes to softly caress the cheeks or hair of a woman, so far i never have a problem with the girl not liking it (maybe is because i usually kiss them after caressing when im in “that mood” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

a… k-kiss maybe?:blush: (i know you said no for the kiss before, but sometime when a girl say no is a yes?:rofl: haha)

no rest for the wicked :joy:

i think my reply to that line will be something like:
" Your no funn " while making a face at him/her (her in my case :smirk:)
kinda like this one →

Tumblr: Image

pretty hot even though id like her more if she was blonde :grin:

depend, if you make a sexy pose like doing that i think a girl is more fitting, but for a man who did have a tiring day putting a hand on his hip is pretty common (i think?:thinking:)

i think so, if not… then i think we are partners in making no sense :laughing:

So, I’ve realized that this is the cyoa version of the Grim TV show. (not implying that the idea was stolen for this)

In the context of the story though, it’s more exasperation than anything else if memory serves right. The debate here though is if it seems “too feminine” for male MC’s/characters to do so

While if it’s your headcanon that they don’t, fine by me but my 3am post was more to point out guys do in fact put their hands on their hips. It’s just we don’t pay attention to it in practice until something like Wayhaven happens and action scrutiny occurs haha

Since the idea of the gesture is coded as “feminine,” despite evidence of it being used by both sexes, it makes it seem effeminate or somehow unlikely used by a guy – which imo, is totally false anyway (see sarcastic/sass guy characters in comedy or comedic moments being exasperated/upset/etc)

Anywhoo, @Okami-Nora you forgot this one:

6 Likes

I’ve read the replies and I’ve been thinking. At first I was like, maybe it’s a cultural thing? Have I seen more girls do it than guys in real life, here where I live? Truth is I don’t recall seeing anyone speaking while putting their hands on their hips. Everytime I’ve seen people irritated (and believe me, I’ve seen LOTS, not for nothing they say Buenos Aires is the Italy of Latin America), they gesticulate a lot, throwing their arms around. We even do the thing with the hands looking like the head of a duck, you know the sign. So, I don’t know, I still find it quite feminine, but to everyone their own.

1 Like

Since you guys brought up this matter again, this time I’ll opine :stuck_out_tongue:

“girl thing”, huh? I see.

Jokes aside, in fact I really like this habit for the MC. I agree with @Okami-Nora, all I can see in this gesture is nothing more than a habit, a trait, regardless of gender. I almost never get to see this action in written things (like books and games) so I actually like it a lot, it’s less generic than crossing arms (although I have this habit more than putting my hands of my hips because I’m very dysphoric with my hips). A suggestion would be you getting to choose an automatic habit for the MC, this way people could choose between hands on hips or crossing arms for example, but I guess it’d be a lot work for you to do just to get something so small like this. I don’t know exaclty what you gonna do, but I do hope you don’t take it off from the scenes lol

19 Likes

That person makes hands on hips look cool.

It would take a LOT of work, yeah, but it would add soooo much to characterization. :scream:

An example being, I don’t find hands on hips particularly gender specific, but I find it a sort of almost…un-mature sassy response? My main MC for this game, Phillippa, is a Total Badass, with a frown and a snarl half the time, and the team really frustrates her. So I imagine a lot of crossed arms, rolling of eyes, and an urge to yell at her mother for bringing in these nincompoops when all they do is pooh-pooh her and get in the way.

Also- body language tells a lot. Hands on hips opens the chest and stomach- signifying confidence, but not only in oneself, but in being safe around others- not only dominant, but dominant in the sense that ‘you can’t/won’t touch me( maybe I trust you not to)’. Hence, sassiness, in comparison to crossed arms- closed off, angry, which shows more personality of the ‘I don’t trust you’, ‘I don’t like you’, etc.

5 Likes

Hands on hips also implies a confidence? Like for one of my detectives I found it a little disconnected because I associate hands on hips as a more self-assured, confident and open trait. While crossed arms can be angry like Mim has said but it can also mean self-conscious. I play one of my detectives as a more introverted and quieter types. Crossed arms is cover your chest and protective in an almost “I dont want to take up space” kinda way.

4 Likes

Very true!

You are physically closing yourself off- and all possible connotations to ‘closing oneself off/up’ work there, as does hands on hips- physically opening up- ESPECIALLY the chestal region, which is considered the emotive region, as it links to shoulders (breathing), breasts (heart and lungs) and stomach (food, temperature sensitive).

One could honestly use differentiating between the two to show major personality differences- the difference between a jaded detective and a naive one, the difference between a positive one and a pessimistic one, the difference between a confident one and a shy one, so on.

Which could also link to how the gang would respond? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello there I love this story so far. Now that you’ve finished the demo what’s next?

Waiting for the full game to be released… :wink:

2 Likes

Sera would need to finish the rest of the story for us to buy it. XD

Waiting is hard to be honest but we have to endure.

3 Likes

UGH This game is so GOOD UGH
I CANT STAND THIS CLIFFHANGER!
Fangirling aside, I truly love this game. One of my top three favorite W.I.P’s, especially since my favorite part about most choice of games is the relationship and romance factor. Anyway, some comments;
To be honest I didn’t like any of them except Felix for a long while, but after multiple playthroughs I’m really liking Adam, & Adam & Nate’s love triangle would be really interesting depending on how it’s handled. Mason is still as infuriating as ever. Maybe I’m not romancing him right, who knows, but for now he just rubs me the wrong way. I don’t like his ‘I don’t care about anything’ bad boy persona, I’ve dealt with enough of them in real life. Though, it does sound interesting to romance him and then break his heart at an opportune time… :smiling_imp:
Nate is just too sweet for me, which is why I’m really rooting for a big reveal and a darker secret to come into play. Can we start a fight between characters over us? Or conversely break their hearts and then get back together with them later? And, if there was a possibility of breaking up along the way, would it have to be initiated by the MC? Because it would be very interesting if they could break up with us if we treat them terribly lol. Also. Bobby. He is going to be fun, especially if you choose him as your ex; I wonder how each of them would react to Bobby unashamedly flirting to the MC right in front of them? I also think Bobby would be the kind of guy who wouldn’t know when to shut up so it’d be interesting to see if Bobby can get away unscathed from more violent LI’s like Adam and Mason if he decides to press their buttons lol. Anyway sorry for such a long post, I’ve been bottling all these ideas and questions up for so long. I love the game!!! Keep it up!!!

7 Likes