The Wayhaven Chronicles: Book One (WIP)

@Seraphinite question, after we pick our Ro, will we see through out the process the other ones going through life too, like dating, doing something mistakes that our MC has to help them with or give advice to them to help them in Wayhaven seem more normal after the MC founds out there vampires? Or what not? Like in cut scencesn Luke how you do, when they talk about the c and the mission and stuff

1 Like

Yes, definitely. The romance is a big part, but the other relationships for the MC are just as important to me. I want it to feel as though you’re building a friendship and gaining trust with the team- all of them. It’s partly the reason why the romance will be chosen in Book One, so it’s easier to account for scenes for all different types of relationships in the following books.

You will spend time with all the vamps alone and in a group throughout the series (for job reasons or just spending free time together), and will still sometimes get their POV- maybe insight into their building friendship with the MC, how their mission with the MC went, or even what they think of how the MC’s romance is going.

40 Likes

Cool! You make me look even more forward for this book and future books to come, with the way you are putting it together😀. Shoot, this is already in my tops and it’s still in the works, so cool.

7 Likes

@Seraphinite Will being bald ever be an option? :slight_smile:

Very few people can pull off being bald in an aesthetically pleasing manner, imho. Adam may be as close as we get (which is a shame because if his hair is as fantastic looking as the rest of him…), maybe some minor npc characters. But yeah, if you want your mc to be, why not.

3 Likes

@Mim - Um, good question :smiley: So far I think throughout I have mentioned a few times about the MC running hand over or through hair- which I admit I don’t want to go back and change because sooo much work! You could always imagine it though, that is the major benefit of having non-visual to the interactive fiction.
But, if I do put in a hair length choice, I will add in a bald option. (Mainly the hair is because I like writing romance, and a lot of that has hair touching or flinging, etc, lol!).

@idonotlikeusernames - Yeah, Adam’s hair is cut very short, but that’s more for fuction (also wanted him to have a very solider look) than anything else. I’m sure he’d have glorious Thor hair if he cared more about how he looked, hehe :wink:

11 Likes

Even though you describe Adam having his hair cut so short, I always imagine him with shaved sides haircut. XD

1 Like

you have hair fetish? :smirk: ( just kidding , dont kill me )
i kind of like to softly caress the cheek of a girl and then her hair, is very romantic …even though some girls hate that someone touch their hair :joy:

2 Likes

[quote=“anon4518890, post:1106, topic:23318”]
even though some girls hate that someone touch their hair[/quote]

God, yes! It takes time to style all this annoying mass after washing, and half the time the effort is unrewarding. Then someone decides it’s a good idea to mess it up by patting you on the head or running fingers through, or pulling out a strand and playing with it or even bleeding chew on it! :tired_face:

5 Likes

Well we don’t have to go from one extreme to the other, but maybe my mc can eventually persuade Adam to get a fairly short but still stylish haircut. In our army, or well at least the navy and air-force officers are actually allowed to have short yet stylish haircuts, if and when they can afford to do so.

Like I said maybe my mc can yet persuade him, but the fact is that to me and my mc he already looked the cutest out of four already gorgeous guys when he wasn’t even really trying, unlike the others.

Maybe that’s why Adam keeps it short, otherwise my mc would just love to play and mess around with it. :grin:

4 Likes

Just played through this demo for the first time - I’ll definitely be back for more - and I LOVE it. Adam is my everything. Just curious (and sorry if this has been asked already) - which choice is the one where you lock in the love interest? On my first and only playthrough so far, I picked Adam every chance I could just to make sure I got him.

I like that I can pick my RO without having to swoon into their arms or flirt right away. Slow-burn, dislike-filled sexual tension turning into genuine, reluctant romance is my guiltiest of guilty pleasures.

1 Like

I’ve played demo 5 times with different choices. The story is well written and characters are interesting. Ava is my favorite character.

I look forward to full game!

1 Like

Wow this was totally amazing. I’m glad I got to test it before Ii had to pay for it, now I know if you add more it will definitely be worth my bucks! I wish you luck on your endeavors and speed and creativity with this project in the hope of seeing more of it~ Ciao!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the lovely comments! It’s nice to see people enjoying the demo (and paticularly Adam/Ava lately, apparently, lol :wink: ).

@Andromache - The love interest ‘commitment’ choice isn’t in the demo, don’t worry. It’ll be around about Chapter 15 in the full game- and I will make it very obvious that it’s the important choice :smiley:

Update

So, last time I said I was working on planning. And, I’m still doing that, but I also caved and got back to writing ‘cause I couldn’t stay away from it :smiley:

I’m on Chapter Nine, which I moved the big branching scene to, and am currently writing the first branch of that. It’s going well, and I’m enjoying getting some writing done after spending so much time on planning!

Bit of a snippet and one of my favourite lines from Adam/Ava so far (if you choose to have one too many drinks…):

Adam’s nose wrinkles after a quick inspection. “You’re inebriated.”

Ah, A, always so good at stating the obvious :smiley:

Also, there’s been a few people drawing their MCs on Tumblr lately (which makes me so giddy!), so thought I’d throw in a quick doodle of one of the many Detectives I use for playtesting!

Meet Nadia ‘I-really-wanted-to-be-an-army-sergeant’ Telton.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Speak to you on Monday :slight_smile:

62 Likes

She even has dog tags :joy:

2 Likes

They’re totally fake- but it’s the impression that counts, right? Lol! :smiley:

4 Likes

I don’t know if this has already been asked but does the reason you become a small town cop play a part in the story?

You mean the background choices? Then, not really. That’s more for building up your character and stats. It may get mentioned in dialogue here and there.

It’s more the choices the MC makes about things happening in the present which will affect story and characters :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’d almost -almost!- forgotten how wonderful your drawing skills are. It’s the only think I miss from this WIP: your awesome sprites.

2 Likes

The mental image of Detective MC just flinging their hair around like one of those people in a shampoo commercial is probably the most amusing thing I could see them doing (and I already find their habit of placing their hands on their hips when they’re about to get sassy a somewhat amusing character quirk of theirs). Like this is what the vampires are seeing every time the Detective turns around.

Or this if they’re sitting at their desk.

(Not that Lupin can pull either of these off; his hair isn’t long enough to star in a shampoo commercial :laughing:)

Speaking the physical body and way that it will be interacted with:

It was really fascinating to see the vampires reacting to the sound of the Detective’s message. I’m not sure if it’s simply a case of them solely reacting to the fact that it’s the voice of someone who is catching their interest or if a sensitivity toward sound makes them especially reactive toward their voice, but it’s interesting to see what the sound of their voice causes them to feel (if they had a rather intimate experience the night before).

When Ava/Adam hear’s their voice, it surprisingly makes them feel at ease…for like five seconds until they realize that the Detective had gone off on their own :sweat_smile: (I imagine that buying a new phone for Ava/Adam when their temper gets the best of them is something very common). But it certainly says something that the sound of Detective MC’s voice is starting to have a similar effect to how Nat/Nate, a friend that Ava/Adam has known for who-knows-how-many years, can somewhat keep them calm when they’re being at their most stubborn.

When Felix/Farah hears the voice mail, they lick their lips at the very sound of it. Aside from the fact that the action brings up the mental image of my cat licking the top part of her mouth after eating really juicy wet food, Felix is certainly just as effective about it but in a more…I don’t even know what to make of this reaction aside from them smiling, clearly pleased to hear the Detective’s voice, It really gives me flashes of a large panther licking its lips after finding some really tasty prey that they haven’t taken down yet.

When Nat/Nate hears the voicemail, it brings a smile to their face and they actually contemplate listening to it again. Nat/Nate is taking a interest enough that they’re willing to interact with technology once more, despite not being fond of it (I take it they may be a vampire who was turned during a period of where there wasn’t much technology or they just don’t have a liking for the stuff). Their interaction with the phone makes me wonder how lost they would be in Detective MC’s room if it has a lot of technology.

And out of all of them, Manson’s reaction to the Detective’s voice was the most interesting to me. For someone who only really seems to listen to Ava/Adam and Agent Mum, the fact that they sifted a bit from the sound of the Detective’s voice seems like it say quite a bit about how the Detective is slowly getting under their skin. Even moreso when, unlike if you didn’t have a moment with them, they end the voicemail but actually don’t delete the voicemail itself. An odd action indeed for a person who prefers the silence and isn’t too keen about being around humans in general. :thinking:

I really can’t wait to see how the Detective will be able to get out of the situation with the murderer quickly enough…and see how the group reacts when the Detective returns. I keep imagining that Lupin just casually returns, only to be see Ava in the distance glaring and the others not looking too pleased themselves, so he quickly turns on his heels to escape. :joy:

Soooo, if the Detective, say, pretended in the most deadpan voice that the phone wasn’t working as the Mayor was trying to yell their ear off and just casually hung up on the man in the middle of his screeching fit…? :smirk:

21 Likes