The War for the West [Releasing Nov 14]

@MahatmaDagon is it possible to have in later games to have a different weapon choice in battle like a glaive or spear?

1 Like

He did indicate that he will diversify the loadout of weapons (including the likes of glaive, spear etc) & of armour in sequels

3 Likes

I know that I’m asking for much, but could we have an option to kill Noyedas when meeting him the first time? Perhaps with a ridiculously high combat stat.

Or maybe we could severly weaken him instead of simply scarring him.

1 Like

The fallen sword has radioactive debris in its composition coming from the fallen star, if the man who forged died just by being near the sword, do you think that Noyedas could survive with a cut of the same.The simple cut on the face of Noyedas means the end of his life and his next Battle will be against the time to produce an heir before he dies.
Of course, if he survives against you on the battlefield.

4 Likes

I doubt a simple cut would kill him. Make him sick maybe and impede his ability to lead maybe?

1 Like

Considering that radioactive material came into contact with his bloodstream, it is quite possible, If you are not convinced, search for cesio 137 Brazil.

4 Likes

So @mahatmadagon said that if we strike Noyedas with the fell sword the only reason he doesn’t die is because the war monk saved him.
Else, he would have died.

Of course we must not loose sight of the point that Noyedas is the main villain of the story. We can’t have our MV dying before storie’s climax now would we?
It would infact be anticlimatic.
All the build up, all the hints, omens leading to us killing him before the main battle?
That would not quite have the same impact as it does when we kill him after the main battle.
After we have lost Bob of lowblow, Red Tull, Ganbert, may be sister Myra in the same battle brought on by Noyedas.

4 Likes

It would not be smart to kill the wife of a bloodthirsty Lord who is ready to conquer their people, especially if he is mad enough to lead a genocide in retaliation for the death of his wife.

4 Likes

Because Murphy’s law. Everything that can go wrong will go wrong. And that’s the case for Noyedas because he’s totally unprepared.

Noyedas is far too arrogant and short sighted for a king. He makes a crown out of a meteor without studying it. He says the MC can’t stop him, yet it’s very easy to outnumber/outsmart him with simple tricks. He takes Dullis head on despite knowing there’s probably an ambush instead of killing its economy.

Even if he won the War for the West, he wouldn’t be able to maintain the kingdom. Taking Dullis+the MC’s land (if they fought) would kill most of his troops (because of the Knights and the ambush). That means he would need to rely on the soldiers from the fiefs he conquered. But then he would have to spread his remaining soldiers across an entire kingdom. Which would make his hold very shaky.

Speaking of which, he has a very shaky hold on Sielccia to begin with due to its weak economy. The simple fact that you just can say “I descend from House Sielc” and turn everyone, including the nobles, to your cause is very telling.

It’s very likely the EBB sponsored him because they knew his victory would just destroy the Western nobility. The MC on the other hand? They can get Dullis’ support through marriage (as Dannel mentions before the Summit), repel Noyedas fairly easily because of their abilities and alliances (council/Dullis) and take Sielccia without casualties while having a strong hold over it.

Also @MahatmaDagon, when you name Lanfrey mayor of KS, you get this

*set treasury 10000

There’s a missing “+” here.

6 Likes

To be fair, the MC orders construction of a sword from the meteor before the results of studying it are known and that is with the MC being informed that two horses had died bringing the meteor. If the MC were being smart, the MC would wait until after the results of studying the meteor are known before possibly ordering a sword made from it. There are many elements on the periodic table but there is a reason only a few are used for blades. Just because something appears metallic, that does not mean it is fit to be made into a blade for use in war. For example, I am unaware of anyone seriously trying to use silver or gold or aluminum for swords meant for war instead of decoration. The MC might get more military benefit out of grinding the meteor up and trying to dump it into the water supply for Sielccia’s army.

3 Likes

It was the time that took me to train an army almost all composed of knights

1 Like

I had did once in one play through. With a total number of 2,000 knights. With the cheat mine used of course.

2 Likes

I choose to disagree here.
He built a massive well equipped army because he has been preparing for war for a very long time.
His own funding was quite good despite the tax situation Sielccia was in, courtesy of course of EBB. To whatever end they did this & how successful would they have been is debatable.

He is. But he is also surrounded by counsellors who are pretty good at thier jobs.
The war monk has been training Sielccian army for quite a while.
Brendel I think is the name of first knight of Sieccia. He is an able commander & capable fighter.

Remember if we choose to engage them on open ground then they out flank our MCs army every single time. That is a prime example of us getting out manoeuvred by them. They are not dumb people who can be easily out manoeuvred.

Sure they got ambushed. And how did they respond to that? They took steps to off set the disadvantage they found themselves in. War monk does infact instructs Sielccians to form shield wall when they get ambushed.

Killing its economy would have taken a long time. Time that they did not have. Hence the haste to march on our province & Dullis to take them with the sheer bulk of Sielccian army.

@mahatmadagon has repeatedly mentioned that peace time armies of medieval lords used to number around 1000-1500. Us being able to recruit so many people into our army is the result of players like me urging him to amend the story where our MC is able to enlarge his army. Even spy shenanigans came later.

If we go by the peaceful army numbers, Noyedass’ assumption was pretty reasonable in that he would have been just be able to roll over us with numbers alone.
Lord Dulsen has the best spy network in Western Peninsula. Being out manoeuvred by him is less to do with arrogance of Lord Noyedas & more to do with the fact that Dulsen caught on to Sielccian scheme quite early on.

Same can be said for our MC with the spy shenanigans, signs observed first hand & out right confessions.

It is likely that to be the case. Though I’m sure War Monk & other advisors would have contingencies prepared for such eventualities.
Or they were just depending on the prophecy which to me just sounds dumb thing to do, which Noyedas is quite capable of being.

They were heavily burdened with exorbitant taxes. True.
But I don’t think the vassals of House Sielcner were anything but loyal to their lord.
Remember, Sielccians including the Sielcner vassals longed for return to days of Western Kingdom & had a thirst for revenge against Mienstrels.

And our MC didn’t just say that he is a descendant. He also had songs made of his victory, heritage & other means of propaganda to boost his legitimacy.
And since Sielccians already longed for days of old they took MCs victory over house Sielcnner just as a sign of him besting the weaker of old royal bloodline. So they welcomed him/her as the king/queen they were promised in the prophecy or the one they deserved.

MC can get support of house Dullis even with a commercial treaty in place of marrying into them.

Easy? Is that how you describe MCs friends dying on the field of battle?
Unless you end the war without a single casualty, you would still loose a couple of hundred soldiers. That’s not what I consider easy.

4 Likes

I meant unprepared for the MC. Even if you didn’t recruit anyone before declaring war, you can still get 3000 soldiers easily (conscription+offering a title to Ullus gave me 2500 soldiers). In comparison, without the Mothermulchers, he’s at 3500.

I don’t disagree I just want to point out this is also the MC’s case, except they can be competent.

That’s not smart. Anyone and Lennis know that flanking is a good idea in most cases. But in this one, it can be problematic if you completely outnumber him (I had 5500 vs 3500 once). Seriously, I’d be more surprised if he didn’t try to flank me.

Once more, that’s a basic tactic.

Except that when invading Sielccia, you can besiege Riverine for a year without any problems. He knew the king had problems and would be too weak to do anything. But instead of taking advantage of that, he rushes in.

You don’t assume you can roll over your enemy when your army is made of mercenaries that can be bought with 1000 aurens and a piece of land. Especially when said enemy is Dullis which has a shit tonof money to bribe them with.

Except Noyedas isn’t subtle at all. In some of my playthroughs, I caught him in the first few weeks.

I agree one everything but one detail. Even if you are nothing but loyal to Sielccia, he still takes your wife hostage which can lead to a betrayal. If he does that to everyone, it’s more likely that he is more feared than loved. I think the people are following not because they belive in him but more because they see him as their only hope (and probably because the Meinstrel are assholes).

I’m not taking emotions into consideration (that’s never a good thing in war). Winning while losing a “couple hundred” men where your enemy lost thousands is what I’d call an easy victory, yes.

2 Likes

Finished up a playthrough till the end of the demo.

Observations and Questions
  • I don’t recall ever hearing back from Meybuk on his observations of the fallen star. Could some of his observations might help us better prepare on how wise it is to use it? or would he die of radiation poisoning as well?

• Would it be feasible to have new scenes/options dedicated to some named characters residing in our castle as well that aren’t our council? I know we can interact with a few of them like Ganbert, but that’s only for playing Cardeed. I’m not asking for a whole lot, just something that makes it so that I feel more sympathy for my dead instead of “Oh, that guy I played Cardeed with is dead.” I’ll even by content with stuff like the little snippets we get from our spouses.

4 Likes

I have a question, if the MC has his first child be a daughter and his second child be a son, which child will inherit the Kingdom and which child will be the next MC? Do we always play as the first child of the MC?

2 Likes

I havent. Guess ill try

I don’t really think so, as the female MC has the potential to die giving birth to his child, which will, according to @MahatmaDagon be playable in the next game(also Noyedas kills Dulsen(Daedros becomes Lord) and conquers Dullis when the female MC marries him). There’s also the fact that the main villains are ‘hidden’ until the epilogues come( apparently), where MahatmaDagon mentioned that there will be answers to all questions (one epilogue will focus on discovering stuff about Triple Chalice for example, if MC has high knowledge IIRC).

The male would probably inherent

Most likely the male child would but then again hes yet to respond