The War for the West [Releasing Nov 14]

Just Camp on top of the hill it always works for me cause i see no way in hell that you can ever outnumber him i have tried so many times to get more numbers than him but am always a few hundred men short i swear the guy is cheating how does he have that many troops have no idea why you only get a few hundred men when you recruit people i will change that law so military service is mandatory and if you don’t serve you die simple.

There are a couple ways to set yourself up to have a larger army if you’re willing to game the system. Certain choices for your father and what kind of lord he is already can get you on the right path. Don’t send troops to the King and recruit back to back. If you get a poor showing for recruitment then you can exploit the randomizer by going into your stats screen and coming back until you get a more favorable recruitment. Remember to go hunting and train/battle your troops for easy chances to raise morale. If you have any allies (specifically if you married into House Dulsen) make sure you call on them for battle. Recruit last minute as well. Either persuade the mercenaries on your side (with a lot of $$$ and a sizable army that deters deserters — also hold the leader captive? I’m not sure if this helps, but I always do it), marry the mercenary leader to get them on your side (if female), or bribe them into not joining the battle at all on Noyedas’ side. You’ll know you have enough when you get the “slaughter” option for the speech to your troops.

@lokidemon007 Pay attention to the season/weather! There are in-game clues about what moves would be strategic for each type of weather. Make the most sensible decision and play to the strengths of your army (do you have more archers? knights? militia? earlier on you should try to balance these out). If all else fails you can always just let Noyedas come to you. Those 10 days are very useful if you’re not 100% on the strength/morale of your army or your own combat skills. Hope this helps! :relaxed:

2 Likes

How do you know the weather?

Who can we make alliances with in the game amd also who can we marry

1 Like

Never send anyone to the valley, use fire arrows at first opportunity. Those two never failed me.

2 Likes

I sat my merry ass on the hill and turtled waiting for my allies, I didn’t even charge with horsemen waiting for them to charge with theirs then counter charging, since mine were stronger and more numerous.

So like most other fights in the game.
When in doubt, turtle it out.

6 Likes

There’s usually a short description of it at the start of the battle.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Is there any way around getting betrayed?

1 Like

Nope, it’s inevitable. But you can still marry The spymaster though

1 Like

How do we do that? Isn’t she the MC’s bastard half sister?

1 Like

Yeah you actually can do it. You can fuck her during the early invasion of your land, when you bring your whole army to the swamp people. Also you can convince her to marry you after the betrayal

2 Likes

One thing I noticed. When the Northern Prince is mentioned towards the end, he’s mentioned as None and not by name.

1 Like

Actually, you can only do that if you side with Lord Noyedas. As far as i know, only Vradnir comes with you to Boglan.

It’s after the Boglan thing. If you bring your whole army, the sword drowning in the water Noble will invade your land.

Hey guys. I’m sending an update right now. You can see the changelog on the first post.

There are still a couple more things I want to add before shipping the game, but I can count those in the fingers of my hands now, so it’s all good.

Meanwhile, there are a couple of things I wish to talk with you all about.

First, this is the image I will be using as cover:

The lines are by Caio Oliveira, and I painted it. I’m still not fully satisfied with the ending result on my part, but I don’t know exactly what to add or change, so feedback is appreciated.

I’m planning on putting a version of this image in the scene where you face Lord Noyedas. He is the character on the left, while the MC is the one on the right.

Depending on some of your choices throughout the game, certain elements on the image will change. If you attacked him during the parley, for example, he will have a scarred eye. The color of the character’s vests will also change according to the colors you picked for your House. And the blade itself will change as well, if you are using the one forged from the meteor.

I also made a family tree for the Sielc/Sielcner Houses, because it was needed in a specific scene. I made another version of it, with even more spoilers and meta-knowledge:

And that is all for the moment. Thanks for your patience.

(If anyone thinks there is something important missing from the game, speak now or forever hold your peace.)

27 Likes

@MahatmaDagon, I assume the one facing Noyedas is the MC, but what happened to his surcoat? And why does his armour looked more dull and dark? I mean, shouldn’t a lord in the game also has a surcoat like that of Noyedas?

1 Like

I am afraid I see no surcoat on Noyedas, merely a cape.

Unless you consider that as one? In which case, I don’t see what’s the problem with the MC not wearing any.

1 Like

Abit of a continuity error, if you bring your entire army into the swamp and the river guys take over your kingdom while you are away, the reports you get from scouting will imply that horrible things have been done to your wife, but then after you win the battle, your wife is hale and healthy and will bear you a child and what not and the whole thing is never addressed.

Admittedly the implication is pretty vague, so it could be just me reading too much into things, but it certainly seems like a continutity error to me.

Another thing is that, as things currently stand, you earn way too much money compared to the things you have to spend them on. You earn anywhere between 2.5-3k a month, and the most expensive purchase you can make is to train a band of knights, which costs 1.5k and can only be done once a month. Most other purchases are in the few hundred gold range, which is effectively a drop in a bucket compared to your income.

The upshot is that, outside of the first month or two, it’s practically impossible for you to bankrupt yourself. In fact, if you wait long enough, it’s actually impossible to bankrupt yourself, as in you literally cannot find enough stuff to spend money on. I don’t know if your tax income is artificially boosted for testing purposes, but if it isn’t, I’d recommend reducing your base income rate by alot, at least to around 1k base, or introducing some form of money sink, such as your army having an upkeep cost that scales to it’s size/quality.

Also just more stuff to spend your money on would be nice as well. More upgrades to your castle, more frivolous purchases, etc etc. Perhaps you could have a “decorate your throne room” option that increases your social skill, much like how the wine merchant/ tailor event currently works, but attached to your quartermaster.

2 Likes

A little tidbit with Arlec, what is his fate after the massacre at Stargaze tower?
It’s implied he’s still loyal to the meinestral crown
and will have to be dealt wwit. But we’re adivsed(depending on the advisor) to gain the lady of Farhalls vote by offering her brother a quick death and to make her the new ruler of House gorroth