The War for the West (WIP) [UPDATED]

low-fantasy
gender-choice

No, Dullisiscoming is always checked. The problem is that warning Dullis with a letter doesn’t give you Dullisiscoming, only warnedDullis.

There’s more than one place we could end up (where Noyeda doesn’t lose troops), but that’s the spirit of it.

Not me; my MC. And if ‘nothing you do can change your fate’ is the feeling you’re going for, then congrats, you did instill it.

There is one minor thing. Could there be a way to get the fallen star some other way than through open warfare? Maybe using high Knowledge to calculate the trajectory so that we can get there first, or paying Jen to steal a piece of it? I feel extremely uncomfortable getting people killed over what is essentially a curiosity, but the tribune questline (which is fascinating, by the way) is locked behind it.

In the same vein, what does the randomizer represent? That everyone flipped a coin to decide whether they were going to come or go? :game_die:
Since we aren’t having a pandemic (what happened to the Gravemaker plotline?), unrest is the most applicable stat in the current game that would cause massive population change. A few months is not enough to natrually grow a population by 30%, so they have to had migrated here from neighboring provinces. Our reputation as a ruler would be a major factor in deciding whether they want to come / leave, and unrest is basically an inverted form of reputation.

If you want to make it more meaningful you could add places that increase and decrease it, or change the variable by more than 1 depending on the weight of the choice, and set the checks at event 40 farther apart, so that only consistent behavior will cause population change. Does choicescript allow you to test for negative values?
You could also fix it so that event 40 is always the Nth event to fire, or will always fire if you hold court within a certain range of dates, so that we have time to show what kind of ruler we are.

Also, and I point this out with extreme reluctance, did you know that the current Lord Noyedas is very patient? When he sends word that he wants to talk or else; we can leave him hanging indefinitely and train up all our militia into knights (not enough for the witchery ending, alas).

Regarding events: there are a couple events that are just “you do nothing but socialize” “Social +1”. Could those be made repeatable? That would also help with the problem that there are too few chances to boost Social.

40 iirc.

Is the spymaster a RO?

I kind of think the Jenneth checks of 60+ for social is a little high, it is really hard to raise the social stat compared to the others.

damm, i did not expect that outcome in the lords Summit at all :astonished:, the only thing i miss in this game is that i will have liked a bit more wars and not only dullac (but i guess that will be in the 2 book, so all is good) :smirk:

Yeah i wanted some more conquering.

@MahatmaDagon I wanted to ask, the /scenes page has almost all the lines, right? Finals are almost over for me and since I’m effectively in love with this game I’ve been wanting to try proofreading (grammar and flow, and other stuff like those). It’d be great if I could find all the text in one place!

Nellasha will ask you for asylum. Keep her, don’t give her back to her sister, and play as a married male MC. Your wife will want her out of your lands - go talk to Nellasha about this and you’ll find that option.

@Marcos_Brites I think you have some names mixed up there?

Very possible :joy: this is the XXII century? Hahaha

That part of the game is still during the “timeskip”, where events are narrated in the past tense and there is a more “macro” focus to descriptions. I think it would be weird if I added a sex scene in the middle of that.

I mean the option “Talk with the Alchemist’s Guild about explosives.”, which only appears during the 10 days before the war if you have over 40 Knowledge. It has 1/4 chance to kill 25~60 enemy soldiers if you have less than 50 Knowledge, and 100% chance otherwise.

Not necessarily, because it is not a place where your troops use to roam.

Some men from Sielccia have been crossing the border through there for a while now, both to spy on your lands and to attack some caravans disguised as brigands(a merchant from Dullis complains about this, and Kenrir might give you some hints).

So the Abyssal Spawn would likely kill those people. Not that many, but could reduce the rivermen’s numbers by a few dozen.

It was supposed to represent the woman mispronouncing a word she is not very familiar with, since it doesn’t exist in her homeland. I can evidenciate this more by adding a few other wrong attempts.

Thanks, I’ll fix it.

As @Marcos_Brites said, this happens when there are no more hold court events. I need to try to find a good way to work around that.

I didn’t express myself correctly. What I meant to ask is that, after warnedDullis becomes true, the things that determinate if dullisIsComing (your relationship with him/if you are married to someone from his House) aren’t being tested. It seems that this is the case here.

Yeah, I wanted to convey that feeling(to perhaps make people consider to really surrender as well), but I didn’t necessarily want that to be the only possible outcome. If a player wants to roleplay a character that wants to do something different given the circumstances, or at least TRY TO, then I’m happy to offer that opportunity.

That’s not a bad idea. To be fair the domino effect of that event became greater than what I originally predicted.

That’s one of the reasons why the total population number is hidden to the player on the stats screen and only presented in that specific event. It isn’t a number fixed on stone because I am trying to portray the unrealisticness of medieval data collection(the same applies to borders a couple of times).

I know I use exact numbers in battle and that may be viewed as a contradiction, but I felt that it was needed there.

I know you have that impression because you had access to the numbers(and perhaps I can find a way to word it better at the event), but what this whole ordeal is trying to represent is not a sudden change in actual population numbers, but a change in the way it is perceived by the character and the people that work for him.

It’s not that the number of people living in the province suddenly decreased or increased, but that the province’s census has finally narrowed it to a more correct/realistic number, so its resources can be more effectively managed.

“But there are calculations which take into account population numbers, and they will be affected!”

Yes, and that is why I asked on another post if it was varying too much. My objective is to have enough variance in the recurrent rolls(recruitment, taxes, etc) to accommodate those changes without too much discrepancy. To have them exist within the realm of possibility.

I try to avoid having Court Events which require conditionals to happen because it creates all sorts of small problems, and instead leave the conditional stuff to announcements and options on the main court screen.

I think it does, but I’m not sure.

It really doesn’t bother me to have that event be random instead of consequential of player’s choices. What bothers me is it having too wide a range and being unnecessarily detrimental to the gameplay.

I also don’t think there is currently much room in the game for people to come and go just because of the type of ruler you are, because the game just doesn’t long enough in the part which “matters” for this to have some grand effect to the gameplay. I don’t see many reasons within the game’s main flow for people to leave their provinces outside of specific things like war, famine and plague.

Yup, it has been reported a few times. I will probably make it so that, if you ignore him, you are forced into the battle a couple of days later.

It would also help with the problem of not having enough events, but I really don’t like the concept of repeating content. It certainly can work in a lot of games, but in this one I think it would feel cheap. I’d rather find some other way to do this.

There is no check above 70 in the game, so I think it won’t be that hard to fill the blanks.

Also, related to that subject:

It’s one of the last checks in the game, come on. I don’t even think it is that hard of a check, given that you are trying to convince a Spymaster of something.

Also, I have a small sheet for keeping track of stats gain in the game and where to find them(for balance purposes).

It hasn’t been updated in a long time, but I will start updating it soon. If anyone wants to, feel free to edit it as well.

There should be around 200 .txt files on the /Scenes. A very small number of them are actually scenes I use on the game, but I don’t know how to delete them from the host.

I appreciate any help I can get with revision, but I have to warn you that it might be really hard to understand what is going on on the .txt files, mostly because my code is very chaotic and I am full of mannerism when scripting. FFS, to this day I still use “fake_choice” instead of “choice” for no reason other than habit.

The chunks of text are also spread through a wide variety of labels that sometimes may come and go in ways that might appear confusing, but hopefully will make sense on the player’s end. Feel free to try your luck on that sea of madness, and good luck!

It still happens even though I have not met the Prince yet, hell not even the acolyte and the merchant selling artifact prompt, and it’s somewhere in my 24th? 27th? Turn,

No, I didn’t use time skip

Shit, then I’m pretty sure this is related to conditional events on the pool of Court Events, and serves to explain why I hate them so much.

So, what happens is this: The game rolls for an event and checks if you can do it. Normally you can and you are just sent to that event and everything is fine and well.

But, if you can’t go to that specific event which has been rolled for you because of some unmet conditional, then the game just sends you to a small pool of placeholder events.

It does that because it doesn’t want you to be stuck on a loop in case the only events you have left to do are the ones you can’t do because of some unmet conditional.

The point being; after going to that placeholder event pool once(which, after a couple of times, just says that nothing happened that day), the game would then return you to the part where it rolls the next event on the Hold Court.

What might be happening is that you are being very unlucky and being rolled into some event you can’t have yet consecutively. The chances of this happening increase as you do more events, since there are fewer available.

Anyway, in order for me to be sure, is this what always happens, even after like, twenty attempts of Holding Court? You never getting a different event?

Nope, never had another event after the feast of Dullis. Had to restart the game and play.
It happened to me twice, perhaps I am rather unlucky that it only happens to me? Like ‘Fak that guy in particular’ or something :joy:

@MahatmaDagon Thank you.

Admittedly, the odds of getting pure bad luck are very low (and the odds of pure good luck are even lower) but looking at just the population numbers (most unlucky case population being less than half of the most lucky population) ignoring recruiting, it is my guess that the numbers would still be bad whenever the population difference is that high. The bad effects would be somewhat lessened by it taking longer for event 40 to happen. However, the odds of just getting the most unlucky population are much higher at 1 in 20 and so that at least will happen to a lot of players particularly when playing multiple games. This sort of thing also could encourage players (like me) to just start new games until they get a lucky population and use that as their save for the next game.

I suggest moving event 40 to the end of the game as a reward/punishment for the MC’s performance and make it dependent on unrest and economy as @sljzz suggested.

I have never programmed in ChoiceScript, but I have come across this situation in a different programming language and I have a solution that worked in that language. I have no idea whatsoever if ChoiceScript is capable of what I am about to suggest. I apologize that I have no idea how to code this suggestion in ChoiceScript, but maybe some of the authors on this site could help?

Whenever Hold Court happens, have your program check each event in the event pool to see if it is eligible to happen. If the event is eligible to happen, add the event number as a new entry in a set/list/array meant to contain just the eligible events. The list of eligible events will have to be recreated each time. Then randomly pick an element from the set/list/array containing just the eligible events.

So for example, suppose only events 20, 25, and 30 are eligible to happen. Then the set/list/array of eligible events would look like (20,25,30). Now have the program count how many elements are in that set/list/array. So in this case the length of the set/list/array is 3 and you randomly pick an integer between 1 and the length of the set/list/array. Then call event 20 if 1 is picked, event 25 if 2 is picked, and so on… I also have no idea if ChoiceScript refers to the first element in a set/list/array as element 1 or as element 0.

This avoids things taking progressively more tries when there are fewer eligible events.

Paperwork error. ok…

Definitely. A few hundred or a few thousand would be more managable.

:cry:

Milord, I believe you have significantly overestimated the range of our end-game (and mid-game) stats.

We start at 80 points. Using your stat sheet, and assuming a balanced 30/30/20 build for combat/social/knowledge, and getting every single stat boost there is in the game (which is impossible, because a lot of them are mutually exclusive), we get to somewhere in the range of 50/40/50. Since the checks in this game are in multiples of 10, if we miss even just a few points of each our effective stats (measured by the highest check we can pass) become 40/30/40.

A poll would help get more realistic values. My effective end-game stats for the latest playthrough were 30/30/50.

A extremely specialized build (50 points at the start) can theoretically get to 70 combat, 60 social, OR 80 knowledge. But I don’t think it’s possible without having a walkthrough and some min-maxing.

In addition, a lot of the stat increases are locked behind high stat-checks of the very stat their supposed to boost, which causes a ‘poor get poorer’ situation.

If choicescript allows for any sets/listsl/arrays, I’ve never come across it.

Is there any way to prevent the massacre at the Lord’s meeting and marry Lady Avellyn afterwards ?

Thank you for pointing this out, even when I specialize in social the highest I have ever ended with was 58. Another concern I have is with forcing the confrontation at the end because of the events are random, such as Lodka offering an alliance, so if you want to marry one of his sisters it takes time.

One other thing I found jarring is you can marry Lord Dannel, be rude as hell, inform him you should of married his brother, and never touch him but you still have a baby?

I love all the little details in the game, like if your father is lawful and the reading the scroll. I did enjoy that Vradnir is more jealous than the husband if you also have a relationship with Lodka. Also the scene where Petka couldn’t sleep without naming the horse was adorable.

Nope, they all have to die. You can marry the spymaster though

I wanted to marry the princess…the one one that could see dead people

@MahatmaDagon Playing as a female character, I was able to star a romance with Jenneth after the Lords Summit, despite not having the first scene with her in Noyedas’ camp . Was it supposed to be like this, or was that scene intended to be required for the Lords Summit romance scene to happen?

You can! Playing as a male character, ask about marriage when Lodka comes and he will tell you about his sisters. The one that you want is Wyneva. After the feast scene, choose the option ‘arrange a marriage proposition with Wents’, then choose Wyneva.