The War for the West [Releasing Nov 14]

Are you gonna add scenes for Lady Danna and Wyneva like what was added for Petka?

I didn’t “try” them, but I read them through the code. She seems like a balance between her sisters (joyful like Hereya but calm like Wyneva).

How do you read through the code?

https://dashingdon.com/play/lucaszaper/the-war-for-the-west-/mygame/scenes

Add a /scenes at the end of /mygames

1 Like

I’ll admit, the whole “I’ll cheat on you if you don’t satisfy me or expect me to keep a normal monogamous relationship” really put me off from Hereya or whatever her name is.

Lady Danna is alright, but I don’t really trust/like Lord Dullis. His province is great though, 10/10 on that Pleasure House.

Pekta’s innocence is cute and endearing and Wyneva definitely seems interesting, but seeing as I’m role-playing as a xenophonic isonationalist king, it’s highly unlikely I’d marry someone from the North.

So I guess that’d leave me wifeless. Not that it really affects my enjoyment-romance isn’t that important to me and the game itself is too great to hate-but it does leave some concerns about how I’ll conceive my next heir.

3 Likes

Yeah petks is cute, she miss her family and that make her even more cuter, now i was totally corious about wyneva

I saw that one coming when you started talking about Dullis. I dunno why.

Jokes aside, I wonder why you don’t romance Wyneva, considering she ressemble another stoic character that you like.

1 Like

Weird. Does it still persists? Anyone else having this bug?

You are right in saying it is redundant as it currently is, but I code it like that because of the reasons I stated before, and I don’t really see any downside in it(other than it being “less optimal”, but I don’t think it affects a text game such as this one). I often return to .txts to improve on them or add more options while revising, and I set those kind variables at precise moments beforehand knowing that I might lead the player to that label or that segment of choices through some other path later.

I think someone probably already mentioned this, but it must be because I’ve put that event way down the line.

1 Like

I had it in the 0.9.9.2 (or maybe in the 0.9.9.3) but right now I’ve like 1800 and it didn’t stop in any moment, I check the military everytime that I got new troops

1 Like

You can break the dam in months that receive a lot of rain. You can check weather by going to training grounds & reading description of current prevailing conditions.

I remember breaking the dam in month of Penumbra. That’s the last month of year by the way. Be careful though, you’ll lose the advantage of fighting when Sun’s behind your position (it’s cloudy) & your arrows dipped in oil won’t do much damage either (it’s usually raining). And a MC with high enough knowledge also mention that troops with metal equipment on high grounds are more likely to get hit by lighting (conditions are stormy around those months). So your position quickly starts looking less secure.

@mahatmadagon if we go with option of hiring Yero Gwun from hill town & he dies while making our fellsword, what would be the consequences of his death on say, the huge order of weapons placed with him by Sielcners?
I remember reading that on our invitation he just drops everything to fashion a sword out of fallen star.

Did he already complete much of the order by that time? Or would the Sielcners now turn to other places to get their orders completed? Like placing order with blacksmiths from other provinces & risk gettig their conspiracy discovered.

After certain time of troop recruiting our first knight informs us that he’s too busy & people won’t have it with another round of recruiting.
I was wondering, wouldn’t it make sense if we discover enough pieces of the conspiracy then we should be able to convince at least our first Knight that if we don’t raise our troop numbers we’d be mulched?
He can be further convinced by spying on Sielcners troop numbers.

As for convincing general public, well that’s quite tricky isn’t it? How can you convince them to join your army in peace time without tipping the enemy of?
A quick search on the net confirms that it was indeed difficult to recruit troops. But it was still done none the less.
I found a useful link how they did this in medieval times. Some of the methods mentioned there a quite interesting.

Also, shouldn’t Lord Dullis inform us that there’s something fishy going on with Sielcners & maybe share some of his suspicions with us? After our MC marry his daughter of course.
Add to that when we promise his diplomatic envoy with 300 Aurens compensation & troops for security, our relationship with them becomes one of “True Friend”.

2 Likes

Thank for the info😁, now my only problem is how to raise my troops beyond 1800 so i can outnamber lord noyedes because i hate to see my friend died on every time i battle him😣 @castellan

Well a lot of those numbers depend on the background you choose for your father & random events throughout the game.

Choose a kind father as it’ll lead to increase in population of your province through a hold court event.
Now this event usually gives random increase (& sometimes a decrease in population). If this random event gives you increase of population to 1,70000+ (Max raise I got in my playthrough) from 1,00000+ that would consistently give you 130+ troops when recruiting (it also gives upto 162 troops)
Keep recruiting & you’ll have a number North of 2,500 easily.

Your starting army troop numbers matter obviously. This number again is random. It varies from (930+ to 1,500+).

You can also recruit bolgan rebels which gives you 50+ troops.

Then of course you’ll have option of recruiting civillians just before the seige or your marching for war.
This number also depends upon the increase in population. If that increase was to 1,70000+ then you can easily get 1,300+ troops here.
Giving you a comfortable total of around 3,500 +

Don’t start recruiting troops immediately upon starting the game if you plan on acquiring the fallen star. If you have a high troop number by that point then you’ll lose 350+ troops just to acquire it. Which otherwise could have been accomplished with the loss of 250+ troops.

Now if you decide to cheat the game then go for max auren & delay the invasion by atleast by a couple of years. Use this time to convert recruited militia into men at arms first & then convert them to knights (using auren you got through cheat menu).

Setting your knights (numbering say 500+) loose on the enemy infantry is quite disastrous for them. This only increases with the number of knights you have in your army.

Deploy all these numbers with an effective strategy & you’ll be able to easily beat Lord Noyedas.

If still in doubt, marry Danna Dullis & call your allies help before starting the battle.

I don’t think you can save any of your friend (except maybe Vradnir). Every single friend my MC made still died with every victory.
Bob of lowblow, Redtull, Ganbert, Sister Myra, Kenir, all of them died either way. I think all these deaths are meant to show the immediate consequences of war on us.

War never changes…

2 Likes

Men do, through the roads they walk…

@MahatmaDagon Just realized that when we recruit Ullen, the enemy’s number doesn’t change (four thousand). Shouldn’t it be three thousand since we take one thousand soldiers away from them?

1 Like

So I realise I’m very late, considering the game seems semi-finished by now(and I don’t have any bugs to report), I’d just like to give my congratulations to the author for writing a great piece of interactive fiction and exploring a genre that’s not well-represented here on CoG, and I’d like to say that I support the author in writing a sequel to this game eventually(also, quick note, Highlands, Deep Waters is too an awesome game of a genre that is also not well-represented on CoG).

2 Likes

I stoped having people come to my court is that cause its not done or cause of something i did.

Do you mean when you see a text that says “Nothing happens”? Because I’m pretty sure that’s because there aren’t more events written

Ok thanks i thought i made every one hate me.

Me i just don’t trust anybody in this i just want a huge army and then ill build a massive wall around all my lands and put a sign up saying. -Nobody is home go away-

I just go and do lots of hanging events to shut people up