The War for the West [Releasing Nov 14]

i did have it, but i never did get to kill him, the only option that did not end with me dead was fight defensive until someone come to help me :unamused:

I don’t think so for right now. It might have to be updated.

What happened for me was that, in the fight on the field, I was able to kill him, but he just kept coming back, it did this 2 or 3 times. I was able to end this once I killed all of the enemy soldiers.

I hope this game will finish soon, honestly love how complicated the moral choices is

Your skill in combat must be around 50-60 in order to survive the battle and kill him

2 Likes

Just to let you guys know I implemented the “upgrading troops” thing at the training grounds(we’ll see what will be done about more recruitment options) and fixed some nasty bugs during the open battle.

I suppose it makes sense. I never considered it, to be honest.

I might be able to compile it into an HTML(I’ve done it before, I just don’t remember how), but without the saving system, which is a plugin that runs on dashingDon. Perhaps you can save the dashingdon link somehow to play offline?

Ok, I spend the last couple of days testing that segment of the game and fixing the errors I encountered. There were a lot more than I thought. A few text descriptions were missing as well, but I think everything should be working now. Thanks for the help.

Also, if anyone encounters zero or negative troops losses, please inform me. There shouldn’t be any, but there are so many variations of descriptions and possibilities in the battle that things probably will slip past me.

5 Likes

@mahatmadagon I think i found a bug. So far in the game, I have trained at least 60 knights when option opened up. But the knights in my army remain at 22. The number of knights in my army don’t change.
Archers, men at arms does change in number after training. I’ll check to make sure about archers since I’m a little doubtful about their numbers. But there’s definitely a bug with knights number not updating after upgrading troops.
Edit: archers numbers change with training

2 Likes

i think it was with the program, it has a option to compiled it to HTML, as for saving the website or something like that ( since dropbox we cant do that). you can upload the compiled HTML to dashingdon ,

So… The Mother Mulchers, do they always betray us during battle? Even when we pay them 7,000 Aurens (the max amount allowed)?

Bolgan rebels, is there no way to sway them to our side?

@Mahatmadagon assuming literacy of our province is low, what if our MC could build schools, give grants for people to get education, end result of which would an effective counter to religious consipiracy that threatens to destabilise our province when we discover their real intention in the story.

1 Like

Right now, the only way for they to not betray you is to promise yourself in marriage to their leader. I plan on putting a Social check on the other options(paying him or promising to make him a lord).

If you are captured by them there is a way for you to convince them to join you, but it requires that you have high Social and it also depends on who’s leading them at the moment. I think you have to kill their original leader before being captured, but it might be the other way around.

In my understanding, it’s impractical in a short term perspective. All those actions would take time to have a proper impact on the feudal society depicted in the game, generations even. That assuming you didn’t go bankrupt because people who should be working on the fields are now busy trying to learn how to write, and that you have somehow acquired enough teachers to instruct them. The realm is in turmoil, and there are more immediate military threats that you have to deal with.

Now, even if you somehow manage to “enlighten” your population, I don’t think just wipe hundreds of years of religion just with education, and it would be hard to convince them of the “conspiracy” without any evidence. That’s why the alternative presented is to try to promote your own religion, much like the reformists of old did when at odds with the catholic church.

How well your religion will be received by the peasants will depend on a lot of factors, some of them taking in consideration the similarities with the main one(too much weirdness and they’ll probably don’t like it), the dogmas(more freedom is usually a good thing, but sometimes it isn’t) and how you decided to implement it. (Violence? Public speeches? Claims of miracles? Bribery of important figures? etc)

4 Likes

Right, thanks for responding

Oh & i found another bug.

2 Likes

Just finished the game again, and im wondering what will happen to my kingdom because i sleep with two wmen. I hope the story will get update soon and i can find the answer of my question.

@Mahatmadagon noticed couple of typos:

After Jenneth recovers Lady Anne’s letters & we read them. In the third letter she writes “After so long, I am family pregnant.”

In the letter where she wishes that her sister visit her & be reunited “but I hope you that you will (one?) day accept my marriage”
Think this quote can do without an extra ‘you’

Right, rest of inconsistencies are highlighted below

& in Ss below, shouldn’t it be “Tell” instead of word “Told” in the 1st choice?

2 Likes

@mahatmadagon Maybe if i can give you suggestion, it will be better if you expending the time spand of the game, lot of even cannot be obtained because of the game time so short, example was the prophecy even or lots of RO even.

@castellan thanks for the reports. I fixed the bugged number and the grammar mistakes and typos you mentioned. I’m just not sure about the “offering their offspring” part. What I was trying to say is that people are offering their sons/daughters to the MC for marriage.

Anyway, I’ll update the game with the fixes and a bit more of content soon.

The game is designed in a way you can never get the full content in just one playthrough, although I do have to balance the amount of time it lasts. It currently going for a random number of days between 120~200, IIRC, but I aim for at least a year. I still have to test if there’s enough content to last that long, tho.

2 Likes

@mahatmadagon You can use generic content like solving dispute between merchants just like you already did, but make the new content more generic like the merchant not having a name, you can just merchant from city A and merchant from city B, although it was repetitive but it will make the mc having some activity. So i think the game already good for now.

Right, my bad. Though a simple addition of two words would make it clear as a day. Like words “for marriage” right after the word offsprings. Still, thanks for clearing that up.

I appreciate the fact that you added ability to augment our military might by providing option of upgrading our troops. I still hope that we could recruit more people in our army throughout the game.
Like first recruiting them as militias & then augmenting them through further upgrading.

Military aspect of game is clearly in better shape now than before.

Now onto the spy aspect, there are a couple of opportunities where we can use our spymaster & her spies, like spying on “supposed bastard brother”, spending couple of hundred aurens on finding out about Emira, spying on our treasurer & recovering lady Anne’s letters.

This aspect can be further improved. Like sinking in aurens to strengthen our spy network.
I was a bit disappointed when it was Lord Dullis’s spy that informs us of Lady Sessanah’s real motives for inviting our MC to Bolgan. It would have been quite satisfying if say, our MC receives a vague letter from her & immediately sets spies to unmask the real motives. Then if he choses to go there then he can go prepared or maybe go to rebels straight instead Lady Sessanah & just swing them to our cause or her sister’s cause.
Though i do understand in the context of story it makes no sense to spy on Bolgans since our province is considered neutral ground & Lord Dullis has every right to have spies present in all over their old rivals territory.

Still, there’s ample reason provided in the story itself to invest & strenghthen our spynetwork against Lady Sessnah (for sending vague letter, her sister seeking asylum), against Sielcers (after discovery of weapon orders in hilltown & their spy confessing to us outright), against religious conspiracy (to counter their efforts to destablise our province).
Generally just sic our spies on anyone in this time of uncertainty in story.

Regardless of my nitpicking, this game is already far better in its category than any other i played. Thanks for giving us this gem :grin:

1 Like

The current system actually works for me. Like even after receiving letter from Lord Noyedas, i just keep it hanging till i augment my military & personal skills. Then i answer the letter.
You can always set a limit for like a year & then say the player finishes all he has to do by day 240 then he can straightaway respond to those letters & trigger the main plotline which would nudge the story towards conclusion.

@MahatmaDagon The thing that bugging me is the event where church come to our castle to take the beast of the veil corpses, the repetitive of that event is not making sense because of that event like this only newd to occur onece. Also the important event like the appearance of our cousin tend to occur on end game because of that it will be more good if it was moving more earlier in the game.

Any chance of a cheat menu for this game for replay value so you don’t have to grind every time you play.

1 Like