The War for the West [Releasing Nov 14]

Just had this event, the only thing I can say is that it is very abrupt and right now without any build or significant character development is rather … meh. BUt still a very interessting possible plot point/line. It just needs to be more expandaed with the gaps filled.

Taxes currently are being collected once every 30 days if I recall correctly. I don’t think the timespan of the "first chapter will go much longer than six months.

The place where the child is taken is the “Holy City” where only members of the clergy live, but I like your idea. I also feel this particular event could be improved somehow.

But if you press on further, you can spend the night with him. At least it was coded that way, I don’t know if there is a bug there or something was not made very clear.

Eventually I’ll count them, but from my head I remember:

Kenrir the Hunter
The Maid
Vradnir
Jenneth(not implemented yet)
Dannel Dullac
Danna Dullac
Lodka, the Northern Prince
His three sisters(I forgot their names)
Lord Noyedas(not implemented yet)

And a few more.

1 - If I recall correctly it’s an equation related to the number of people on your province + a bit of randomness + a few modifiers associated with the economy/tax treaties(I’m not sure that is implemented yet).

2 - There are only a few situations where you can recruit people outside of wartime in the game. Either one or two people from events or groups you manage to convince to join your “cause”.

She can become your lover in the future.

Did you not get the message at the end of the event which says it was just a dream?

“You suddenly wake up, realizing it was just a dream. Still, the weirdness of it hangs on your mind through the rest of the day, as you perform the duties of court.” should appear no matter what you do in this event.

4 Likes

No bug. sorry, I meant that you said he will be marriable, but he mentioned he’s already married. Of course,
you can retcon that. Or include quest to kill his wife. So I wrote more about possible future relationship with him.

1 Like

still a bit more earlier interaction and describtion would’ve enhanced the that moment as right it is really just spontanous and in your face. I currently don’t have any reason to care for any of the characters so my investment in the dream was not at it’s full capacity.

Oh, I understand now what you meant. She certainly would have to die for that to happen. :grimacing:

You have to understand that the “Holding Court” events are randomized, so they will appear in any particular order. Also, the very first thing that happens in the game is that you receive a letter and, as soon as you read it, it suggests that you should go speak to the members of your council. That way the player can at least acknowledge them before being thrown on the random events where they sometimes are a part of. There are also descriptions of them on the options menu.

Other than that, I believe it’s a matter of scope. A brief and “wet” dream of someone who grew up alongside these people and is now put in a position of power, coping with the responsibilities and expectations that come with that. It’s absurdity and abruptness are there to purposefully confuse the player, and the event itself probably can be done better, but at the end of the day it’s just one of currently 37 random events(of at least 50 planned) that are there mostly to “pass the time”.

5 Likes

@MahatmaDagon there will be a away to melt the cold heart of Wynela or to stop Hereya from cheating on you?

2 Likes

I do seek them out yet there none options to talk with them except for the main events other then that they are just simply there. That is the point I am trying to make right now the characters are just there, interaction between them outside of the main events are very limited. What is good however is how they act during the side and main events, yet none of them seem to be connected or influence the relation they have with the MC. What I’m trying to say is that they are at the moment just static characters.

I…actually didn’t know that you tied this game into Highlands with the presence of the Abyssal Ones. This only makes me like this game even more. You seem to be working on it hard, and it definitely shows. Must be a nightmare to code. Anyways, my first playthrough was surprisingly satisfactory. I married Lady Danna, bought the Ancient Sword, defended my coast, hunted a fair variety of beasts with my men, toughened up my soldiers, told the King to fuck off, settled some disputes, and killed the man pretending to be my brother. A promising as hell demo, for sure. Only one question, though.

The “wicked beast” hunt. What the hell is with that? I had high Combat, a fair amount of soldiers,
and a saved game right before it, but, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t kill the damn thing. Is there something I missed here?

2 Likes

Well, I can’t argue with that, indeed you can’t interact with them much yet. It’s something I plan to improve at some point, adding more dialogue at the “Talk to someone of your council.” It’s quite lackluster atm.

About them being “connected”, at the late game, during the preparation for the war, there is a bit of interaction between them, by I understand your point.

About Meybuk(the Scholar), there is a nice interaction with him when you speak about your mother’s letters and there’s a little exposition about him, and then there will be one with Jenneth’s origins. For Lanfrey and Vradnir there will also be some stuff, but I totally understand that they currently feel a bit bland.

[quote=“Voldy, post:361, topic:26275, full:true”]
I…actually didn’t know that you tied this game into Highlands with the presence of the Abyssal Ones. This only makes me like this game even more. You seem to be working on it hard, and it definitely shows. Must be a nightmare to code. Anyways, my first playthrough was surprisingly satisfactory. I married Lady Danna, bought the Ancient Sword, defended my coast, hunted a fair variety of beasts with my men, toughened up my soldiers, told the King to fuck off, settled some disputes, and killed the man pretending to be my brother. A promising as hell demo, for sure.[/quote]

Thank you. That’s exactly what I wanted to happen to people when they play the game: They have their own little adventures, that might differ from one another.

The only way to kill it is by having a sword made from the meteorite. I guess I need to hint at this during the playthrough, there’s some exposition about that but just AFTER you defeat it, when an Inquisitor comes to visit you.

3 Likes

@MahatmaDagon

What the fuck? You can save? How did I not ever see that before?

And all this time I’ve been restarting the whole game whenever I fuck up.

…How?

3 Likes

For women too?

How many of the women are available to female characters?

okay so i read the letters and i wondered when will i be able to share this information with noydas, i thin it will be interesting to tell him you have more legitimacy then him to rule the land. Also when will i be able to go to the crash site myself to if i can persuade the seilc to move away or fight them by losing less men and such.

6 Likes

Ok so first off, remarkable game! Really absolutely great job! But having sacrificed a whole play through I must know if there’s more to the Forgotten God storyline! I literally sacrificed my whole kingdom and got the achievement of supposedly “awakening” him but understandably I wrecked the kingdom so the game ended. It’s just sad I didn’t see him awaken himself or anything. I suppose he is what the explorer who wrote the book referred to as the last thing he explored for? God you’ve written some good stuff…I’ve just gotta know!

Also do we ever get to create a weapon out of the fallen star? I’ve waited to hear about it all the way til the war with Noyedas which I haven’t gotten past yet.

Jenneth was confirmed some time ago for one.

Looking forward to this WIP, Crusader Kings 2 is one of my favorite games.

1 Like

I think you’ve got the start of a very good story here. I know you’re still building so I might be asking for things you already have planned but still. When I traveled to Bogland after the ambush I agreed to send the sister who was seeking asylum. However after talking to the spy I kept my knowledge secret then betrayed them in the fight against the rebels. After getting back home it would make sense to me to have a choice whether or not to be honest about the state of conflict between us and use the sister to form some type of government in exile or try to be deceptive by sending her as promised and pretending I didn’t just kill her consort and every member of his army.

3 Likes

Loaded my game from my last save when I happened to reach the end of the demo, and it took me to my character’s stats screen, but with no option to return tot he game from where I had left of when I saved. Is this normal?

1 Like

If the author has added new stats to startup file the saves won’t load

1 Like