The War for the West [Releasing Nov 14]

If you say “How reliable is this information?” when you deal with the raiders, the word Lord is written as !lord.

1 Like

I have a question about the game.

Is there any way to prevent Emyria from being destroyed? Or is it not available yet?

Yes it seems like a new event is being pulled every time the page is refreshed, as long as there is no interaction with the event beforehand.

Hey dude hot a bug again same thing about marriage but instead of being promised, it now says i’m considering both the north and dullis but i only considered the dullis.

And the thing about changing events also happen in the tax collection all u need is go to the stats or save it then load it for another outcome, basically im cheating cause i use haha

Hmm I would like the chance to be lovers with the Prince that comes down if we play as a male Lord we have the option to if we play as a female.

Thank you, should be fixed by now.

I’m aiming for it to never be available. Emyria will always be destroyed, as the attack(supposedly) occurs a few days before the game starts.

I get that, the way it is currently is, that might not exactly be true, as the Emyria chain of events only gets triggered when you speak to Vradnir, and that can be anytime. So I’m considering other ways to present that “quest”, as it started as a simple “sidequest” that eventually became a major plot point.

I still no idea why it behaves that way. I’ll probably need to post a topic on the Help section.

That’s actually weird, I’ll have to take a look at that. Thanks for the report.

I’m not a big fan of letting NPCs be player-sexual because I think it can undermine their characterization; I’d rather have my characters be who they are instead of everyone just lusting towards the player’s gender. There will be romanceable options with some bisexual characters as well as homosexual-only ones in the nearby future.

6 Likes

This is very very exciting, a bit confusing for me at points but that seems to be just because this is a first draft. Love the concept, love the idea. A little scared about how I didn’t do a marriage and am therefore all alone. Lol

1 Like

This is really interesting, great idea and executed fairly smoothly thus far, good work and keep going.:slight_smile:
3 things that caught my attention:

1. I decided to upgrade all three buldings in the first couple of days, after some time the walls and the temple finished, yet the training grounds never finished, is that supposed to happen?

2. Why is lying an option at the end? He calls your bluff and you end up choosing another option anyway, dont get me wrong I’m just curious :grin:

3. Now this might be my personal opinion, but a piece of a fallen star is worth 250 (iirc), and a book ~70? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you. Can you give me an example of what you found confusing? Sometimes it 's intentional, others it might be the consequence of missing content that will eventually be put inside the game, but there’s always the chance that some stuff is unintentionally not being made as clear as it should have been because.

Thank you.

No, there’s something wrong there. I’ll test it myself to see what it is. At first hand I found nothing wrong with the code, but as it spreads itself in so many files it can take a while to catch it.

If you have high enough Social, you might convince him. :sunglasses: (or at least you will, when this bit is done)

You’re correct. The values need to be updated; I was working with very low prices at first, as the taxes would usually grant between 100 to 200 aurens more or less. There are some prices that need to go up and others that need to go down.

1 Like

Well, first off the differences between weapon choice in the tournament, is it purely cosmetic? Or does it lead to a certain fighting style? Like two handed sword=aggressive while sword and shield are a more balanced cautious approach?
Will there be a relationship bar with the mayor/guilds and stuff or is it more of a case by case thing? Or tracked in the background somehow? I’m just wondering if it’s important to butter up the guild and such. Also with the debt, if there would be an option to send someone to ask what they were doing with the money, and then decide to forgive the debt or collect it in the form of research.
The monopoly I couldn’t quite figure out, was it that they would organize trade in my port for the silk thing? Or that I was being bribed to never trade it in my port?
As for the Northern marriage, it says I was considering it but at no point was it ever mentioned to me beyond that.
When it comes to recruiting citizens at the last scene, how does levying civilians lead to me getting Knights? Or am I recruiting hedge knights or something?
How do I raise the social stat? As it stands I can only raise lore and combat though I could have just missed something
To comment on the books though, medieval books were incredibly rare. Considering they were down by hand, in the most fancy calligraphy possible by monks who trained for years just to transcribe them in any number. Yes scholars would write them, but copies were made by hand unless a printing press exists in this universe I’d say the fact they cost so much is relatively accurate,

2 Likes

Generally a very promising game in my estimation. I liked the interactions and scenes that were written. My one concern was that there was alot of time in the game where the player character is basically just tooling around his castle looking for something to do. It made gameplay a bit repetitive. I think it would likely improve the game if there were a way to allocate spare time without the sending your character to the training yard, to the library and to church 50 some odd times.

3 Likes

Another note that the game doesn’t seem to distinguish between if you state your background as having supporting your liege in the unity war or having back the conqueror. If you choose that you fought against your oppressive liege it says you managed to maintain your lands, even though it just previously said in the reference that due to picking the winning side you greatly expanded them.

1 Like

I assume land size and income is something that will be worked out later. Presumably with more land you have more men, more taxes, and a greater area to defend with more land to cover etc.

1 Like

It simply seemed like a continuity error that someone should point out.

1 Like

Oh I totally agree with you, I just meant for what it could wind up representing when it’s finished or what have you,

1 Like

This sounds like everything I have always wanted in a game. Full support

1 Like

This is a great game. I was wondering is there a way to boost your social skill? And is the any benefit to praying?

1 Like

To be honest, I’m still considering how to deal with the one-on-one combats. The tournament itself was a quick way for me to experiment with the usage of different weapons and armours and see if it was viable to do in further combats. If I recall correctly, in that specific situation weapons mostly change descriptions and armour is what impacts what you are able to do or how you do it (absorb impact, move freely, initiative, etc), along with your Combat skill.

The relationship with powerful people or organisations is an ongoing thing; it is tracked in the background and it affects further events and provides consequences, especially regarding loyalty. I’m particularly against letting the player see the numbers regarding this because I believe it is too “meta”, but I think there should come a point in the game where you realise that person X is acting in way Y because of some previous action of yours. By that point, it might be too late to do anything about it though. Either way, perhaps I’ll implement the “relations bar” as a togglable option in the menu.

About the alchemist’s debt, I don’t want it to be a recurring and mechanical thing like “we give you money, you give us a result”, as it is too common (and reliable) of a thing in many simulation games. The feeling I’m trying to convey here is one of suspicion and uncertainty, with some surprising consequences and possibilities on the long run. That said, this particular interaction will certainly suffer a lot of rework and revision, and I’ll take what you said on account.

I’ll try to make it more clear when I revise the events, but essentially the Eastern Bargaining Brotherhood wants to be the only one allowed to trade Seesilk inside your lands. That means that, by law, anyone else who tried to sell it would be committing a crime. The EBB has their own motiffs for that, as they have a very specific reason to believe the market for Seesilk will boom in the future, and that can come up later in the game at some point.

That actually helps me to identify where the problem that the other player reported is exactly. I’ll look into that.

I’m not sure the calculations are correct there, but the idea is that you’ll get a bit of knights when recruiting from the general population because of hedge knights/retired knights coming back to defend their country/squires being rushed into knighthood and things like that. There’s also the idea that you might be recruiting some vassal levies, as there are a couple of lords/mayors who are sworn to you. Should be quite a small number regardless.

At the moment I think there’s only few ways to do that, and I don’t actually remember where exactly. Eventually there will be the possibility of promoting social events, reading a specific book or just learning it the hard way, during interactions. Most of the stats distribution along the game aren’t done yet.

There will be some variance on the price of books related to their rarity, and in the Kingdom of Ludland books are certainly more common than in a normal medieval context, at least among nobility(At some point an Academy for Scholars is mentioned in the Royal Capital, if I recall correctly).

The “bread-and-butter” of the game will be the Holding Court events. Visiting the Temple/Training Groundso/Library /Promote a Social Event/Go on a Hunt and things of the sort will either be ways to gain a limited number of stats or to access new content. My aim is to create repetition without repetitiveness, as a player will be able to visit the same places a dozen of times, but every time he will have something different to do. This clearly isn’t implemented yet, in part because I’m still working on tying everything together and creating new content.

The number of days between each major event is certainly something that will be balanced eventually, but there’s always the option to skip a couple of days if you’re just waiting for something to happen. My point is; by the end of production, I’ll have a roughly estimative on how many days it should take to end the game on average, and enough content to fill that gap.

That’s correct. While the “greatly expanded your land” part actually won’t mean much in the end(seeing that one can just assume that, due to the oppression of the liege, the lands weren’t as many as they should have been), the text itself isn’t following up with the previous selections. I’ll fix that.

Most stats gain aren’t implemented right now, especially the Social ones, it seems. About praying, I think I’ll follow the idea someone posted here about going there to pray each X days increasing your relation to the Temple.

Swamp Castle and great tournament has really interesting mechanics but terrible writing. If you just did more research I got better at writing I would be a lot more excited. Vs Lord Aswick Which is much more linear but the world feels real because the righting good

3 Likes

Yeah if this takes parts from those games, it could be really good. And this is really good. Great tournament and swamp castle felt more like games for the purpose of gameplay. Aswick was linear at times but it did have a great writing.

2 Likes