The War for the West (WIP) (Medieval Intrigue/Noble Simulator) [Update 03/08/17]

low-fantasy
gender-choice

(Working tittle)

The War for the West is a game based on the idea of letting the player create and manage a House and a Domain in a low fantasy setting with some grimdark elements.

There is no evident magic or sorcery in the world, only dubious prophecies and the reinterpretation of natural events according to religious biases. That doesn’t mean that people don’t believe in it, or that consequences of such events won’t be impactful; The War for the West might be fought as much in the minds of people as it will be on the battlefield.

The games focus itself in a small portion of the world, called the Western Peninsula, which has been annexed to the Kingdom of Ludland centuries ago. Other than your own House, there are other four Houses with their own detailed backstories, plots and ambitions.

It is inspired by games such as Crusader Kings 2, Medieval: Total War, Reigns and Swamp Castle.

Some of the names are still placeholders, and there are a few unfinished events, but one can get a sense of what the game is about by playing the current version. Any kind of feedback is greatly appreciated.

(The “first chapter” of the game is roughly 80% done. Most of what you read below is working at some level)

Some of the systems and elements:

Time Passing: Most of what you do in the game costs time, and as it progresses and the calendar advances you will notice that it influences many things. Every month you collect taxes, and new events might pop up according to the season, along with food shortages or the outbreak of some epidemic.

Relations: People will hear of your actions, and this might influence factors such as Civil Unrest and Factions Relation. The main religion, as well as the other Lords and Ladies, will often have their own opinions on the things you do, especially if they are directly affected by it.

Holding Court: As a noble, it is expected of you to mediate disputes, hear pleads, deliver justice and many other things. These events are semi-randomized from a pool, and there are currently 25~ of them. The goal is to have at least 50 by the time the first chapter is done.

Other Events: Along with Court Events, there are some other things that will occur as time passes. An invitation to a feast on a neighboring province, an assassination attempt, a meteor appearing in the sky, a religious ceremony, an unexpected attack, the presence of brigands, etc. You also will be able to promote your own events, such as a tournament or a ball.

Council: You have a council of advisors, each one of them with their specialties. They are there to advise you on many matters, but they might also have their own agendas or secrets. In further versions of the game, you will be able to change them as you see fit.

Character Portraits: Every important character will get a portrait, and the image might change according to some events. Has someone lost an eye or got scarred during a battle? Well, now the portrait will display it. That also means that, if you play for many years, characters will get old as well, perhaps even die.

Marriages and Alliances: As you start the game as a young regent of a prosperous province, there are plenty of people interested in offering you political marriage. There are also other types of alliances, such as the possibility of having commercial treaties with other provinces. You must decide who you want on your side and how to keep them there.

Secret Societies: You might have started playing now, but there are people and organizations playing the “long game” for quite some time. You must uncover their secrets if you want to survive in the Western Peninsula.

Timeline: The timeline will be affected by your decisions, be it retroactively from character creation or from the further important choices that might be made later in the game.

The Upcoming War: The first chapter (which is roughly 80% presented in this version) deals with the calm before the storm, but War will eventually come. How you deal with it is entirely your choice. Will you stay loyal to the King of Ludland? Will you ally yourself with the new King of the West? Will you betray him? Or will you defy his claim and, perhaps, even take his crown for yourself? Of the many options available, you will eventually find that often the pen can be as sharp as the sword.

Army Battles: While this isn’t available on this version of the game, this will be one of the most important gameplay elements. How you manage your troops and mobilise them on the battlefield, the difference between troop numbers and the quality of them, the available formations and strategies, terrain conditions and preparations, etc.

Also, there are three main stats:

Combat: Determines your personal combat expertise as well as your ability to command your troops on the battlefield.

Lore/Knowledge: Serves as a measure of the amount of information you have gathered regarding many subjects. Often gives more detailed descriptions.

Social: Your ability to present yourself to others, persuade them and perform well during social events.

These stats might provide new options to the player and, sometimes, more than one Stat can be used to check the availability of an option or the outcome of an action.

To play the demo, go here: https://dashingdon.com/play/lucaszaper/the-war-for-the-west-/mygame/index.php?cb=24184

OBS: This is still a rough version of the game. Some names are placeholders and it lacks on revision. Expect lots of bugs!

EDIT: Just to clarify some things about the current version:

• Prices aren’t balanced.
  • Stats gain is a mess.
  • There is no proper ending.
  • There is a lot of content missing, as there is plenty things done that aren’t available because they weren’t linked together yet.
  • Lots of typos and grammar mistakes.

KNOWN BUGS:

• If you check stats screen during a Court Event it will jump to another one when you return.
  • This also happens if you check the stats screen while receiving taxes. The value will be re-rolled.

Which medieval WIP is your favorite?

This is an amazing concept, and the fact that I enjoy all of the games you have listed as inspiration makes it even more fun. That being said, this version is quite rough indeed, with me being unable to resolve the alchemist guild debt (no matter what option I chose, it still stayed there, in the main menu), the military advisor being present in two places at once (both fighting pirates and being at court) and with an error popping up when I asked fwhether the guards guarding the blacksmith (sword from the falling star) lied. This has great promise, and I cannot wait to see more. May I send you a PM? I have some suggestions, but I would rather not post them here in public.

Thank you. Please feel free to contact me via PM whenever you want.

Regarding the problems you reported:

• The alchemist’s guild debt: I forgot to set the quest to “DONE” when you click on it. Should be fixed now.

• The advisor who breaks the boundaries of time and space: There’s a variable for each member of the council to check if he or she is inside the court at a specific point in time, but they aren’t currently being used right now. It’s something on the “TO DO” list, so it will be done eventually :sweat_smile:

• About the falling star questline: I fixed the one you stated and while I was there I found some more bugs. I believe they weren’t being spotted because I forgot to put the scenes on the list at the startup.

I played through a few times. I really enjoy it so far, keep up the good work!

I loved your first game, and it seems I may love this one as well. Keep it up.

Dr Who has many disguises and always causes trouble :stuck_out_tongue:

Now as a Lady will I have the ability to marry another woman?

The short answer, regarding the “marriage system” is no.

First, let me explain why it is so according to the “lore”:

• Marriages in this specific feudal context are political tools to unite two lineages by blood and provide heirs consanguine of both Houses.

• The prevalent interpretation of the main religion states that the purpose of any sexual relation is procreation. (your character does not have to agree with that, as it is pointed in one of the Court Events. That’s just the opinion of most of the church.)

That does not mean that a character has to be heterosexual, though. That would be simply bad writing, in my opinion, since the whole point of the game is that you are able to make your own choices regarding your character. So, ultimately, a player should be able pursuit love interests however he or she wants to within the given context. I’ll give some examples on how that could happen, in different levels:

• The abandoning of the main religion in favor of a foreign one that has different views.
  • A monarch seizing control of the church in order to change its dogmas.
  • A secret extramarital affair with someone from the same gender.
  • A marriage in open defiance of the church’s rules.
  • A “Renly, Margaery and Loras” approach.

Some would be more difficult than others, but I think that this is exactly the kind of thing that the player should be able to do; to try and use its power and influence to change the realm.

So these will be options? Because I’d be all for any of these, I have no issues with letting any system of religion in my realm know that I don’t give a damn what they think :stuck_out_tongue:

@MahatmaDagon, this looks like a very cool but ambitious project. Best of luck! :smiley:

This is a good game I’m loving it until it ended then I was like noooo

This is an extraordinary peice of writing, belive it or not and I’d belive Im speaking for many, this kind of thing has been popping up off and on for years ((purple reign for example if anyone remembers that))

Heck, I’d pay you just to help you out with the development. Beyond being ambitious no one really finishes a project like this…its often too vauge or large a proposition.

Man, this would be great. Hit me up if you want any help. I can’t code really but I can write pretty well, either way best of wishes.

One of the most enjoyable WIPs I’ve seen recently. You were much too modest.

I sense a bit of influence from H.P. Lovecraft, and quite a lot of influence from Game of Thrones. Both of those are wonderful sources of inspiration, and I’m not complaining at all, but I would caution against referring to the peasants as ‘smallfolk.’ It might cause some issues.

Because that went so well for the Tyrells. :stuck_out_tongue:

So far everything is extremely enjoyable, the lead up to your “small” little war is pretty darn good.

Can’t wait until that gets fleshed out, this is refreshing to the absolute maximum though.

Well if they want to withdraw their complaint about me marrying a woman then I’d let the church be, but after the talk I had with that acolyte about such relationships he has made it clear that the church wants to be my enemy and thus I shall fight them with all of my power :stuck_out_tongue:

Fair enough. All I’m saying is that religious belief is an extremely powerful motivator, and if you start stepping on the church’s toes you may end up with a peasant revolt on your hands.

Ok how about this… late game you end up with that peasant revolt you mentioned, and they hunt you down and bind and gag you and execute you for being an evil whatever, but you actually have the corrupt leader of the whichever under a glamour curse to look like you, so you’re watching from behind the shadows while you play everyone like marionettes.

(Oh sorry, wrong game?) :wink:

This seems like a very interesting game.

It will probably also depend on the sort of character you have, for instance the last play through I did was a burtal war mongering descendant of Vikings with a knack for strategy.cut down the traitors men before realizing he was a traitor…upon figuring that out he got a missing face.

A bit later on after taxation and conscription he is outnumberd four two one ((three two one previous to the new recruits. )) his mercenary’s commander is dead, and after dispatching about five thousand men to a city who already outnumbered their besiegers the characters army still heavily outnumbers the traitors.

Imagine even when taking into account peasent levees deserting en masse, your still left with enough men at arms and knights to suppress anything anyone would want to do to you. The church can taste steel, as can the peasantry.

Alternatively, a scholarly woman which was also tried had half the army, not anywhere near as well trained or equipped, or lead . this character would have issued attempting flat out tyranny.