The War for the West [Releasing Nov 14]

lmao
xD

1 Like

Yes, Jenneth survives if you walk away from her once Daedros and Sartham are dead or if you convince her that you love her. The answer to your second question is also yes. Jenneth shows up at the summit no matter who you choose

2 Likes

This is a rough sketch I did a couple of years ago, but I think it has more or less the right proportions:

@Hellburner2

There’s an ending where you can leave together holding hands and another where you can just leave her there to her fate. If she doesn’t die on screen, she doesn’t die.

She does show up to the Summit even if you don’t take her.

As for the concept of Low-Fantasy, I think it still applies here. Lack of Black & White morality, focus on the mundane for the most part(holding court and such), etc…

The few supernatural elements which exist in the game can all be attributed to the same origin.

13 Likes

What’s “Republic”?

1 Like

It’s been a while since I played this game and already has so many variables and lot of stuff to do. I wonder how can I romance Jenneth? And what ros there are for each gender.

1 Like

There’s two ways, You can side with Lord Noyedas and tell her that you want her when she comes to your tent (Don’t worry, you can betray him by sending Jenneth to kill him or save your wife if you don’t want to stay loyal to him). The second way (major spoiler) is to convince her that you love her after the lord’s summit. If i remember correctly, she stabs herself in the heart unless your social is above 60 so don’t bother doing this if it’s not. As for your second question,
ROs for females: Vradnir (you can’t marry him), Dannel, Jenneth, Ullus Mothermulcher, Nada (you can’t marry her) and Vayden.
ROs for males: Vradnir (you can’t marry him), Danna, Jenneth, Hereya, Wyneva, Petka and Nada (you can’t marry her)

4 Likes

Is it this one:

“Then teach me. Become my Queen and rule by my side. Be ruthless when I show compassion, be the shadow behind me while I stand in the light.”

Cause it’s grayed out for me.

4 Likes

Yeah, this is something that I found annoying; I quite like Vradnir myself. You know, perhaps @MahatmaDagon could write in a means to… remove the obstacle that prevents us from marrying Vradnir. I am sure that Jenneth could help us with this, in more ways than one. :smirk_cat:

ADDED:

Huh, is that what Jenneth looks like? I always pictured her to look something like Yennefer in the Witcher franchise. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Nice image, I like it!

2 Likes

As it stands now, so long as you don’t ask “why only three?” The bug allows you to ask all the other pertinent questions. Just fyi

Wouldn’t that just be him riding up to attack your castle? Like, if it were coded similar to siege where it takes 10 days before he shows up after meeting him. If you skip, it should be coded that you’ve essentially just hit “skip day” 10 times without any defense. Just a thought.

THAT is awesome. I’d imagine you’d need god- tier social to pull that off though. Plus I don’t like to share and I can tell Daedros will be a problem the longer her breathes

Honestly I’m glad you expanded it. Would have definitely not been happy for some side asshole to show up and kill me. Narratively I’d get it. Just wouldn’t be happy about it.

An idea for circumventing the betrayal:

Summary

Have a vision early on that is specifically about the meeting. It’s overall indistinguishable from the other dreams, coming at a random time and can be x-ed out if you get rid of the dreams.

If your INT is at 60 and you know that the dreams are parts of the SIGHT (Meybuk or Helen via trials) you can parce out the dreams’ true meaning. You must have a spy in both Dullis and Swampland and gotten the specific excerpts about Daedros and Swamp member. Must also have dealt with your fake brother’s assassination attempt and have asked Jenneth about the Triple Chalice

After discerning the vision as specific to a meeting, you must have Jenneth as your side member and not Varnis. You must also have your men stay in no matter what. When Daedros attacks and starts killing everyone, when Jenneth asks you to stand down, you can have a dialogue option that basically says, “Why would I do that? You’ve fallen in my trap, not the other way around.” Before your hidden command come out of hiding.

You can still have all the other members die and when Jenneth asks why you didn’t tell her or the other members, you can say, “I didn’t want to believe it, but I knew you were in on it when you lied and said you’d never known about them.” and that you didn’t tell the other groups because you couldn’t risk it getting leaked.

All can die except Jenneth with Varnis dying while killing Daedros. At the end, Jenneth will say the same things she currently does if you win (you’re king bebe, do you / jk I didn’t really want to kill you anyway baka) and you can still choose to marry her or have her executed.

This doesn’t require a combat heavy build but still works in story and requires a lot to work right to get the proper ending so it’ll be earned.

I’m guessing it requires high friendship, which is the antithesis of what I wanted. Essentially I wanted to come to his house, spit in his face, and go home. Currently, either bug or otherwise, I can’t do that, even with 100 social. He always calls my bluff and has me arrested

^this!^ fuck that dude

Uh… :drooling_face:…nice

3 Likes

I like the game, but in the open battle I think it would be great if you could take artillery like catapults or ballista.

I would do it more epic

I play this again and again never feel bored

5 Likes

That’s such a terrifying statement, you rock, friend. The most evil I can be in my main playthroughs usually involves doing shady things for the greater good, and even that typically stretches the boundaries of my tolerance by quite a lot. But this…this I would do, for no reason other than personal gratification. Feel free to picture a m!mc marrying Vradnir while keeping Jenneth as his machinating, child-bearing mistress. Here’s a bit of help:

th

The things we do for love, right? That, as well as childish glee from aggravating the church. Though, with the way things end, it wouldn’t be beyond reason to add ‘Divorce is possible’ to the list of dogmas should one make their own religion. You’d be saving children from being orphaned and defenseless women from being sneakily executed/relocated, @MahatmaDagon, lol.

3 Likes

Do you think you could update the cheat menu to be able to add troops.

1 Like

ballista are possible but catapults took at least a weak to make.

1 Like

Hmm…now that the endorphin wave has passed and restored my capacity for reason…it would be fair to add that Vradnir’s whole arc centers on just how unavailable he is. He is, in fact, so unavailable that you can only steal moments/a few hours of his time after exercising a fair bit of persuasion, have him die for you for free (let me know how that feels), or raise his child in sworn secrecy, knowing all along that the prize ultimately belongs to another. That the woman is so incosequential to everything that she doesn’t even get a name (but she gets the man) drives home just how unobtainable he is. I mean…if I were the writer, I wouldn’t want to let go of all this irony, angst, and fan tears either. No matter how easy it would be to wipe the board clean of rivals (maybe he’d find out and hate you afterwards), or how juicy the consequences of introducing the idea of divorce in such a society (I doubt he’d do that to his wife).

But hey, if either or both of these ideas end up implemented, and Vradnir drinks enough wine to be okay with them, that equals serious character development! And epic catharsis for everyone involved. I’m all for second generation Lancelot writing poems in peace.

4 Likes

Now that I noticed, yeah why aren’t there any catapults at this game? There should be at least a few available in our castle.

Do you mean siege defence catapults.

1 Like

It’s more or less what happens when the revolting bourgeoise and the EBB make a state of their own, free of kings and nobles, a possible concept for the future. It doesn’t exist yet, but it will likely happen.

You need to not be married to pick that choice.

It leads to a branch in which you can convince her without Social, depending on some previous interaction. (Something about her telling that there is no one else to oppose you now, if you are female.)

Else you need 60 > Social to convince her. I thought I had added the option for male characters to convince her without it, but I’m not finding it. It may be the case that I didn’t implement it and forgot about it.

@GenericGem

I was trying to make an icon for the game using her face, but I’m not sure how faithful it is. (!?!)

Okay, I will try to fix it today at once.

Currently, the number of days it takes for the “meeting him” prompt to appear is randomized between X~Y. There have been lots of talks on the thread about the resulting number being influenced by external factors, such as setting the game “difficulty” somewhere(more days until invasion = easier).

I personally like the idea of being able to delay the final date of the invasion by performing certain actions(such as sabotage), and I also need that the date of Noyedas coming never to be an exact one because it would both make it predictable and it would remove the possibility of the “winter battle”, thus removing some cool possibilities from the open field confront.

Since I still didn’t decide what’s the best way to deal with all that, I’m leaving the option to ignore Noyedas there so as not to force people into an early ending to the game that they would otherwise have no way to counter. It’s not a good solution and definetly not a permanent one, but I will leave it there until I fix “everything” regarding the invasion date at once, so that then I can gather feedback from how it “actually” should be.

I wish I had read that before starting what I’m doing. I’m taking the longer way around, but I think we’ll reach similar destinations.

I checked the code to make sure. First you need to pick one of those two options:

“You cannot afford a war with us. You have enemies on the east already, and perhaps inside your court as well. Accept our independence peacefully and you may gain an ally to fight them.”

“I understand the economical consequences of a sudden secession from Ludland, and that is why I am willing to pay for the freedom of the Western Peninsula with a great deal of aurens, enough to make sure that your Highness will be able to afford your war against your enemies to the east.” (₳100000)

Then you need to have >= 60 Social AND you need to have bowed to him beforehand.

If you do all of that, he’ll ask that you give him a night to consider, and invite you to remain as a guest, with excellent accomodations.

So, either people are not doing those 3 things or there’s a bug somewhere.

I think there was a reason as to why this hasn’t been implemented, but I don’t remember what it was. :sweat_smile:

They are referenced/used when you throw the alchemical explosive, I think.

9 Likes

Then it makes sense that it’s greyed out since I am married. I didn’t know Jenneth was an RO so I usually go for one of the 3 sisters.