The War for the West [Releasing Nov 14]

Try the Genderless. They’re evolved species.

1 Like

@MahatmaDagon
Did some further reading/playing and I observe you seem to forget about Kenrir most of the time. Still couldn’t see him anywhere in the late game consequences despite playing as a female MC.

Also, why does Meybuk seem to be alive even after killing him after discovering the letters before the war with Noyedas?

I had high combat but it seems I always die when dealing with Daedros alone at the Lords’ Summit. Also, is there any way to save Vradnir?

I never romanced Jenneth but I still kept getting the option of “…I loved you…” when I discovered she’s one of the Triple Chalice

A bit of suggestion: since we have the option to interact with members of our council, can we also have the option to interact with members of our household and army as well? The late game consequences are great for showing time lapse but I think some consequences should also depend on your interactions with members of your household instead of being mere choices.

Classic example:
Pregnancy should depend on how many times the MC slept with any of the NPCs.

Another is with the spouse, your relationship stats should depend on your interactions with 'em I find the lack of interaction (especially with Ullus) to make some routes (or branches) of the game dry.

I understand this is a choice game but I think the sex of the MC’s heir should be random since well… you can’t really choose the sex of your child.

…to be continued…

1 Like

No, there’s no way to save the companion you bring along. So bring the little shit Lanfrey.

But it’s better to bring Jenneth since the same thing happens to her no matter who you take.

2 Likes

I know, I didn’t suggest him as a way to reduce the damage. I intentionally want him dead.

8 Likes

Why do you hate Lanfrey? :thinking:

I suppose it’s probably because he’s a Ferengi in human form.

2 Likes

Because he builds unnecessary bridges and subtly mocks me with offerings of Cardeed when I have no money to spend on gambling.

8 Likes

Two is a holy number. He was doing you a favor

8 Likes

And I did him a favor so that he never witnesses the invasion of the Abyssal Spawn.

1 Like

Is this a new RO for female characters or a female RO for male / lesbian characters?
If its the latter, can anyone point out who it’d be?

There seems to be a bug with reaching a majority of votes in the end on deciding who’s the be king or queen. Whenever I try to make someone else the winner it automatically becomes a stalemate and no one wins because of lack of necessary votes even if they’re leading.

1 Like

I believe it refers to a new male RO Vayden for female MCs.

Well, some of my MCs certainly would not mind more chances to interact with Jenneth that do not require surrendering to Noyedas.

You also really can’t choose your parents’ names or your name or the gender with which you are born, but since this is a choice game, letting us choose saves the time of us restarting to get the story we want to play. Depending on the ending of the first game, I think the heir can be the MC in the next game so some players are really choosing the gender of the MC they’ll play in the next game.

8 Likes

Who is kenrir o.o

I might be wrong but I think Kenrir is the forest guide you can use to find the abyssal spawn.

1 Like

There is a bug.There are two same choices of turn men at arms into knights one which required upgrading the training ground.

He’s romancable?

I should have done that beforehand, but if I do that now I’m afraid I might be messing with most people’s expectations, given how minor the last few updates were. I’d rather save it for the last batch.

Thanks for the report on the typos, they should have been fixed by now.

@TropicRayder @kyros

About the color of the handle, I think you can just say it was painted over. :smirk:

Someone asked for it and I added an option that considers this approach.

I know I more or less replied to you a week ago, but IIRC I never put an entirely “high combat wall” to the ending, there should always be at least one way to “win” it without very high combat. Thing is, it may require a specific set of circumstances(who you bring, what you are wearing, how the voting goes, how do you proceed).

Because she is mine already. :sunglasses:

Someone said on the thread that he was able to get her to bed with him. I honestly have no idea if this is possible in the game, but it could be that the person was lying or confused.

Nellasha’s not being “romanceable” can be explained with the same reasoning I used for other things, a mix of lack of budget + struggle for balance. At some point, I started considering that it just wasn’t fair to spend so much work on female RO for male MCs when there was this huge lack of male RO for female MCs. The discrepancy would only increase, and there were enough options already, all with too few interactions.

So I decided that making new RO should follow the notion of trying to equalize the playing field first. And, if there was enough time(which often isn’t there), expand on the already existing ones.

No, he’s an asshole who(canonically and according to rumors and spy reports) has no interest in romance. (either that or he’s so deep in love with Jenneth that he cannot consider anyone else)

Don’t take this the wrong way, I wanted to make a few of them romanceable, but I don’t want to force any more superficial interactions. I don’t want any more one night stands and vaguely described relationships. I’ll only add romance to a game if I can portray it with the depth I think it deserves.

(If I can keep updating the game after it is released, then I’ll gladly expand on those things, add new RO, new dates, new interactions…)

There are consequences, mostly when it comes to the “timeskip” portion of the game, but it depends on a few factors. As someone said, you can have his child.

Nope, she’s in love with Lizra, her Scholar(as some spy reports/npc suggest) and she doesn’t have any intention of having a political marriage. The NPC who suggest that is completely oblivious to those things, though, and only suggests that if your character is unmarried by that point in the story. (I’m assuming your character was male as well, otherwise this was a bug)

Well, you can marry Danna, Petka, Hereya, or Wyneva earlier. I think you can even propose to Nellasha if you are unmarried by the time of the Summit depending on some circumstances, but I don’t remember if it goes anywhere.

You’ll be able to experiment on them and do some wicked things.

Ok, so I was about to question you about that and ask “What do you mean with? Kenrir should be a male only RO”, but I went to confirm on the code and I can’t find anything checking for the MC’s gender on the part where you can romance him.

Thing is, those checks do exist, but only in the consequences for later. Which means that yes, if you’re playing a female character, he’s just ignored by the game.

The easiest way I can think to fix this would be to just make him a male-only RO as I intentionally wanted. The consequences for that are already in the game, so it would just be a matter of locking him for females. Despite it being true to my original design, I do not like the idea of reducing the female RO options, but if we consider that he is just a lover, then I can say that, in terms of balance, he is to male MC what Lodka is to female MC.

Certainly a bug. Do you remember how exactly you chose to kill him or which were the circumstances in which he appeared alive? There are A LOT of checks if he is alive throughout the game, but I must’ve messed up somewhere.

How high was it? There are many ways those interactions can go(perhaps too many, which also means that there could be some bugs I am not aware in one branch or another), but there are two things which should be really important:

What you are wearing (platemail/abyssal armor or chainmail should be really helpful) and if you drank or not from the water that was offered on the way up.

Then there’s the matter of how the battle itself goes, your choices in it, etc. Again, there are many different versions of it, so there might be some problem somewhere.

About saving Vradnir, it wa something I wanted to do originally but I cut out because I wasn’t managing to do it in a satisfying way.

Isn’t that okay? I mean, I don’t see why this couldn’t be there.

I really cannot put this type of work in this game anymore. It outgrew what it was supposed to be by many times, and I’m done working on stuff that isn’t absolutely necessary for the shipping of the game.

I considered something similar at first, but I don’t really think it makes sense to keep track of how many times you have slept with your spouse given the nature of how time passes in the game. One does not need to assume that sexual relations happen only when the game describes them as happening, at least not after the first time. There is A LOT of “dead time” between scenes/events as well as the possibility to timeskip.

Your relationship stats DO depend on your interactions with them. I agree it would be better to have more interactions with some NPCs as well.

It’s important because some might be playable next game, so you are basically making a new character.

Thanks for the report, I’ll take a look at it. Was Governor Bluden one of the voters in your playthrough or wasn’t he even there? It might help narrow this down.

(Also, a person needs at least 3 votes to win)

Yeah, I could’ve worded that better. I mean I added a male NPC for female MCs to marry.

Thanks. This bug is because I wanted to let a greyed-out option there so people know that they need to upgrade the training grounds to allow knights to be trained, but I messed up something last time I fiddled with it.

Theoretically he’s only romanceable to male MCs AND if you defeat the Abyssal Spawn and destroy its body.

7 Likes

Not only that, but there is also a bug in the game for later on.

Bug data: Kenrir

Summary

There are at least two times where Kenrir dies earlier in the game only to appear at the end.
The first time is when I personally kill him at his hut. The second time is when I send him out to perform a flanking attack on Noyedas’ army in the forest in which it is later stated that he and all those men died.

Later in the time skip, if I chose to keep the Abyssal Spawn for study, if I chose to reanimate it, it’ll be stated that Kenrir didn’t like what I was about to do and snuck in and set the explosion. Again, this is after he’s been specifically stated to have been killed.

Bug data: Abyssal Spawn

Summary

There is also a bug in the timeskip whereby it states that I have kept the spawn despite giving it away to the Church so that I can go through the trails. During the time skip, the game will state that Mybuk (me no spell gud) doesn’t know what to do with it and thus gives the spawn to the Alchemist Guild. During that time they ask what they want done with creature.

Again, this is after I have specifically been stated to give them the spawn in order to take part in the trials.

A question specifically on the subject of the Abyssal Spawn: Is it possible to keep the spawn for your armor as well as create your own religion, or are they effectively exclusive to each other? I recognize that there is a lot of lore behind that (going to the church, getting labeled the hero of prophecy, etc) but if there was a way to keep the armor AND that other aspect, I’d be into knowing about it.

Sure, but 3 out of the 5 listed are effectively bartered off before you so much as meet them meanwhile Nellasha makes it clear that she’s not into you and only willing to use the relation as a means to help her kingdom.

Side note: If we DO manage to marry Nellasha, is there a chance that we can effectively “trade her out” for her twin sister in the second game, since she was killed after the papers were signed?

They were indeed a male. I misspoke. The adviser (mybuck) claims that “if you weren’t married” that she’d be excellent to snag. It’s not a huge thing to not get her since fuck her, she dies anyway, I was just curious.

To be fair, while I respect your decision, I don’t fully agree with it. Myra has a pretty impressive back story and an unerring loyalty to you when she joins your kingdom. I can see very much a relationship with her manifesting due to her background for “why” she ends up in your service. I can also see the option for a tyrannical king/lord to put her in a slightly ironical situation as a mistress whereby she would opt to kill you if it got particularly egregious, or have the deepest love for you since she’s already willing to throw away certain vows in order to follow what she feels is right.

At any rate, in my person opinion, she has a much more interesting backstory than some of your current wedding options. Just something to consider.

3 Likes

Thanks, that was really helpful. I think I managed to fix all the mentioned bugs. Kenrir indeed wasn’t being killed to the game on those two instances, and the game wasn’t using the proper way to check if we gave away the body or not.

You can keep the spawn and make your religion during the Summit, when speaking with Avellyn in private.

Ok, so this is a bit confusing, so I’ll just lay out my plans:

Lady Sessanah always dies. In the next game, Lady Nellasha either pretends to be her or, if married to your cousin, insists on forcing the claim on Boglan.

I’m not saying those characters are not interesting to have as RO or anything, far from it. There is some very exciting stuff that can be done with them, but my point is that I am not satisfied with the current state of RO in the game, so I would rather work more on the existing ones than to keep adding new ones and give them the same treatment I gave the others(which I feel is underwhelming).

1 Like