The Underground Society-WIP

It is always fire and flying. Maybe later, (if it’s not too ridiculously complicated) it will let the player choose their power set. However, I can imagine i may drown in code if I do that haha

1 Like

@HuntedSnake and @Gab19

Thank you so much! :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a good idea. Maybe the MC could be reminded of a painting or something along those lines.
While I agree for the asexual part, i don’t think you should do it with the other sexualities : it’s assuming a lot of things

Okay yeah i’ll rewrite that bit.

Okay, so I’ll simply stick to a change in the asexual descriptions, thank you!

That actually sounds like the ideal solution, a little bit tricky to code but utter brilliance if pulled off and that would add a level of detail rarely given in most games.

2 Likes

Okay awesome I’ll see what I can manage :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That sounds pretty ambitious…especially comsidering that some pan-/bi-/polysexual people use those terms more interchangeable, or to make a point for one aspect of the definitiion specifically…not even all people use the same exact definition. But good luck with that, I’m curious to see how you will pull it off.:+1:

2 Likes

I’m slightly worried that a lot of the early choices come across as a very extreme binary, e.g.:

A: “Oh, that’s so sweet! Let’s be best friends!”
vs
B: “I hate that little brat!”
(paraphrased)

…with no obvious middle ground.

3 Likes

That’s something I’m worried about to be honest. I’m still not 100% sure I will try it as it is complicated to code and I may get it very wrong and end up offending people, something I really don’t want to do

2 Likes

Okay thank you I will see what i can do to change that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I doubt it would really offend people, in the worst case it may irritade some people…and only if they even notice the changes in case they should play different paths with different sexualities each. But I also wonder if it’s worth hassle for you to code, considering that those changes may will go completely unnoticed by many people, and that it will not meet the expectations of everybody anyway.

That’s a good point. I am definitely changing the Asexual descriptions because (as someone who is asexual) I have a good idea as to what an asexual would notice in someone they are interested in, also pointing out the multiple attractive physical attributes makes no sense really. If that isn’t too difficult to do, I may attempt the other sexualities.

1 Like

please do because I had no idea what cis was or where it even comes from but outside of that I feel as tho there’s not enough choices for the mc if your playing as someone who has Escape on your mind

To avoid confusion you also could do it similar to Monsters of New Haven High, which handles the gender question pretty good as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

@Alwayswandering

Okay I’ll edit the gender options. Thank you for reminding me, the Escape idea came later and I forgot to change some of the options.

@Sammysam

Just played through that and I agree.

@Everyone

Am I right in understanding they would like less technical names for the genders? Also, does this apply to the sexualities as well?

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful

2 Likes

I played as a cis character, but the start of Chapter 3 had me choose between “genderfluid and male now” and “genderfluid and female now.” It’s a fun game so far, but you might want to fix that part.

I really like how games are so inclusive, however I think some times it gets carried to extremes. We get hung up on the technical name and language it bogs down the whole story. I am very broad minded but have very few freinds from LBG community that I often have no clue what certain terms mean. If I have to stop to learn a new term, nothing kills a story faster for me. I had no idea what cis was eighter, sorry to say I side step your wip for now as I really do not have the time to look up all these new terms. :slight_smile: I will try later when I have more time.

2 Likes

@Giratina

I have no idea why it’s doing that but I’ll fix it now. Thank you!

@Lordirish

Okay I’m editing the terms to be simple (I hope) descriptions.

4 Likes

I think it would make it easier for people. I’m very much for normalizing terms like cis, trans, non-binary, etc, but just putting a lone term without clarification in front of players who may not know them brings problems as we see.

Terms for sexualities are more well known (at least by those that identify by them) and people are always happy to see people trying to include them, while using the correct term. Though if you really want to go down that road you also could add demi- and greysexual…
We honestly have many discussions about this topic on the forum you may want to look at:
Writing asexual and aromantic characters
Writing good characters with marginalized identities
How important is sexuality and gender
What about poc (not about sexuality, but maybe also for your interest)

Also I thought again about your idea to vary the description of characters based on the chosen sexuality and…I’m not really sold. I’m pan for example and I always hear that explanation of some people that pansexuals either are gender-blind or attracted solely on personality, and that’s absolutely not my expirience? And that’s something I also heard from a bunch of other people that are pan. I certainly have a type I prefer, for both personality and physical looks, and it feels weird to say I would not care for gender, for something that the person I can be attracted to may cares very much about. Gender is just no exclusion argument for attraction for me, that’s all. So…uhm if I’m completely honest you saying pansexual would focus more on personality feels…dissonant.

2 Likes

@Sammysam

I am currently editing the gender descriptions now. Hopefully that will less confusing. I have kept some the same as I am stuck as to what to edit them to. Although I am definitely up for suggestions.

It’s good you told me about how misinformed some people are as to how Pan people ignore gender in attraction as I was just making that mistake in the sexuality option. Also, thanks for the links to the threads, I will take a look at them now. So would you say that using the technical terms for the sexualities is okay then? If not, (I don’t want to pester you so please don’t feel pressured into this) would you be able to give a more accurate option description for Pansexual? I don’t want to alienate people who don’t fit into the stereotype of each sexuality

Sorry that was so long, your post is very useful :smile:

2 Likes