The Sword of Rhivenia: Book One (Submitted)

If she values her brother’s life, she wouldn’t attack us. Kingdom is even more screwed if we gave away our leverage and Lena still attacked us either way. If there’s anything Game of Thrones teaches us, is to NEVER give away your bargaining chip for nothing.

6 Likes

Only if she cares enough about him. She could just be making time to plot war regardless. You can also release him in good faith and if she attacks you can use it as an excuse to conquer them.

If. Kingdom would still be screwed on the long run. We are surrounded by enemies our father created.

1 Like

Going off topic to say that TSoR has officially gotten over 1k replies! :tada:

That’s awesome! Congratulations to @NutellaQueen :partying_face:

9 Likes

This conversation about what to do with Xavier reminds me of the prisoner’s dilemma.

Both players are well off if they cooperate with one another and don’t snitch to the cops. They’ll both walk off free.

But since there is always a chance off being back stabbed, the most rational choice for both players is to snitch and serve one year sentences rather than keeping quiet and hoping the other guy doesn’t make a deal with the police.

The situation with Xavier seems to mirror the prisoner’s dilemma. The best scenario is whereby the MC sets Xavier free and Lena does not attack. But since the MC can always be backstabbed; whereby the MC releases Xavier but Lena attack nonetheless. The most rational decision is for the MC to keep Xavier.

If Lena attacks anyway, you can always kill Xavier and appear strong and firm to the nobles and people. If you release Xavier and Lena attacks, you appear weak and foolish for trusting an enemy in the first place.

Being rational is not the only choice the MC can make. Sometimes it’s nice being idealistic. Not all MC’s need to solve problems through a lens of realpolitiks.

13 Likes

Plus, if MC frees Xavier but then accepts his or Lena’s marriage proposal, they look like a frickin’ genius instead. It’s kind of like when a striker will shoot a pk straight down the middle of the goal and scores they’re daring, but when they do it and miss, they look like an absolute idiot.

16 Likes

Exactly lol

If you succeed, scholars will write of how you were a visionary of your time, who was playing 4D chess in the political arena.

But if you fail, you’ll be panned as the biggest idiot to have ever ruled the kingdom. Someone who was truly out of depth with the shifting political landscape.

EDIT:

I feel like I need to add that do still think the better choice is to keep Xavier. There is no reason for us to believe Lena will keep her end of the bargain. At least not in the eyes of the MC (I’m ignoring the reader’s meta knowledge)

The MC will be putting WAY too much trust on Lena. That level of trust is better placed on trusted allies and friends.

15 Likes

That was actually a weird excuse of keeping someone hostage , for my personal opinion and no disrespect at all , it was something like a country build their own nukes with an excuse to protect people from other country’s nuke attack . :smiley:

Anyway, i do believe the same argument would go back to Queen Lena as well, if she is a power hunger tyrant aiming to conquer other kingdoms , would she allow one life to stop her ambitions ? I don’t think so.

If Lena aim is to ensure the safety of her brother out of family love, then what better way to return Xavier in kindness , to make her feel less likely to possess a reason to attack ?

And don’t forget , most likely Lena’s spies are with us already, in the war time with Erwan, there are possibilities Xavier would be rescued or die trying to escape, that will only making matter worse as no more chances for reconciliation , every moment of truth has its cause and effect , not every decision is perfect but each of us try to make the best one ,.

That would be like Lord Walder had his men capture Edmure for hostage in Game Of Throne , and House Bolton and Frey didn’t end well eventually

Well, actually it was a reference towards whether keeping a hostage under control after some past killing would really bring a long term benefits, or whether it will prevent future killings :smiley:

3 Likes

This argument is invalid if the red wedding did not occured

I chose Revna, i see her flirting with a random soldier, but I still remain traying, then she kiss me, and later I seen her with the soldier again and she said “forget about the kiss, it means nothing”… Ouch

You um, you know the doctrine of MAD right?

2 Likes

Honestly first time read it, can you explain ? :grin:

Thanks… haha… will google it now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Mutual assured destruction

3 Likes

That’s quite true yet we then would enter a direct competition of who do the Rhivenian people hate more?
A pirate or a King who persues criminals?

Of course it is more complex than that but merely killing Astryn or Freya’s lover would not necessarily make our MC the big villain on the minds of common society or nobles alike it kinda perphaps would turn the table on a different direction making us popular with them.

Kinda on the direction Nutella decides to spin the narrative but beyond angering two key characters well the world would not end on those situations.

5 Likes

But then there’s always someone by your side I doubt the certain stepmom would do anything against mc what with both richard and his uncle protecting him

That is what I meant when I said I don’t like her personality at all, I do think that with enough time you can get through those barriers, but are you willing to? would you be willing to in real life? why would you torture yourself with something as simple as getting one girl? for love? how can you love someone that you’re just getting to know tho? there’re a lot of girls out there and I think 100 out of 1000 of them would be excellent love partners, willing to lay their eyes only on you and commit to something serious and to try things out with you from the get go without the additional trouble, I’m too old for that crap, I’m not willing to put myself through that crap, that a relationship is easy doesn’t necessarily means it’ll be bad, and that a relationship is hard doesn’t necessarily means that it’ll be good, your heart and emotions are the most valuable things you have, and you should never go trough self-torture for the sake of getting to be with someone, or for someone else’s sake, that’s why revna is very unappealing to me, I like to put myself in my characters eyes in these types of games, and aside for the completionist in me, I’d never put my mc through something I’d not be willing to go trough myself

8 Likes

I do agree with you about not spending your whole life chasing a girl, but Revna isn’t really hard to get, the reason she at first against entering a relationship is because her first love died and she doesn’t want to go through that pain again. But if you just spend time with her she opens up, and by the end of the book she is fully in love with you. I get how she can be seen as cold at first but she does really care about you.

13 Likes

feisty :hot_face:

Yeah but in that time tho, is she still fooling around? while mc’s waiting for her to fall in love with them? in that time does she still hurt mc with her words? you see some things are not worth fighting for even if the prize is great, we should value ourselves way more as human beings, nothing should be a battle really, not for someone else’s sake at the cost of self sacrifice, if you should sacrifice something do it for yourself, not for other people, it sounds kinda harsh, but I see it like this, I sacrifice time and give pain to my body when I train in order to have a better body so I can feel more confident with myself and also be better at whatever sport I choose to practice, I sacrifice time and give my vocal chords pain in order to become a better singer and develop a nicer voice, I may sacrifice myself for my parents or my children but that’s because I really love them and feel thankful for what they do for me, it still makes me feel better and the sacrifice doesn’t feel painful, but in the case of revna the sacrifice is painful for mc and the rewards are not immediate, nor does it bring a day of happines in the immediaty, and reallistically mc just likes her, so it’s stupid to sacrifice anything for her to start with, I’ve met people that started to fool around just because the individual that they were going for wanted to ‘‘see where things go’’ while still seeing other people, though they may end together in the end, there’s no way your head will be okay with waiting for someone knowing that that someone is seeing other people, thing is, you may not be okay at all with doing the same, and then you may feel pushed to do it just for the sake of not feeling stupid, in my eyes it is a very toxic thing to go through, and one that no one should feel forced to go through

7 Likes

You have a point but that depends on your relationship with your brother remember the conversation she has with him if you become king/queen, plus it also depends on if your uncle survives. Plus there are indirect ways to get these things done.

2 Likes

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/upcoming-hosted-games-releases-2021/91526/4
Why is this game title hasn’t posted here yet. It has been more than a month to submitted. Did they drop the game under the table and forget about it or they just extremely busy with dealing hunders of other HG games. I seen other games title added there which hasnt finished yet.
I swear COG treat HG as second class citizen here.

Maybe but if that’ the case they should have inform the author. Since the author didn’t say anything about release date other than they submitted.

16 Likes