The Sword of Rhivenia: Book One (Submitted)

well to be fair to the author, isn’t she from a country that’s not exactly politically or socially stable right now? so it would make sense that she has bigger things than a wip to worry about if true…

15 Likes

which country is she from?

1 Like

Azerbaijan we spoke about it on earlier comments, so you know ruled by the Aliyevs and on eternal conflict with Armenia, that’s Nutella’s home.

Quite a bit unstable indeed.

13 Likes

Yah it is understandable. But she should atleast inform those who pay her in Patreon about her problems.They have been paying for seven months without any updates or reason as such .
He/she could just write " hello readers can’t write new content for some time for so and so reasons. " It would take a minute. I think a minute is quite spendable. Some might think I’m being harsh. But 500 to 600 dollars means quite a lot in Azerbaijan.

24 Likes

Is the payment not discontinued for the time being?

God! Finally someone sensible! An author who creates patreon to get help has to give something to those who pay or at least the responsibility of letting them know if they gave up on the story or not. They are Not gone for just a few weeks. It’s seven months!
A person who writes as a hobby owes nothing to anyone. But from the moment we pay to help the author, we want at least some news of how the story its going. I’ve seen people saying that were banned for complaining about it here and I understand that there are authors who are harassed by fans but it also has limits to understanding this type of situations. (English is not my official language and I live in a place where currency conversion pushes patreon values up.)

35 Likes

I’m not looking for an update, but such a long period of silence is disconcerting. I hope she’s alright.

23 Likes

you know you can easily cancel your patreon support at any time if your dissatisfied at the slow process of the story right?

that aside, you do realize what kind of country azerbaijan and the current situation it is right now? it’s an authoritarian dictatorship that has been ruled by the same party since 1993 with the former president’s son being the current leader, and it regularly quashed all dissent and protests against them with force
and ever since their armed conflict with armenia, where there are accusations of genocide, azerbaijan has limited and silenced any forms of criticism against them in the media and online are censored
so the fact that she hasn’t been updating us on her work could mean several things really:

1. azerbaijan has severely censored the internet
  2. fighting has been close to her area
  3. infrastructure is destroyed because of said fighting, limiting her forms of contact
  4. fighting might’ve claimed someone close to her, so she might be grieving

while you are in your right as a paying supporter to know how progress is coming along in her WIP, you have to realize due to the country she is in, and the state of war they are currently in, she might not have any avenues of communication due to the war.

39 Likes

I just worry about the author. Are they sick, or in danger? Did they loose all access to the internet? Or are they simply too busy to work on the story right now? If it’s the later, then I would like to know that. But if it’s the former, then I’m very worried

18 Likes

I happen to live in an authoritarian dictatorship with heavy media censorship, but I’d warn people who pay me that I won’t be able to do much if I were ever to end up in a bad state.

When you pay for something, it isn’t just a piece of entertainment you don’t hold hard feelings for, it’s something you shell out money for and something that requires better level of communication than disappearing for seven months without a trace. Why not write “sorry, can’t continue writing sequel yet, please don’t expect much”? It’s basic bisiness courtesy.

27 Likes

and think of it, how would you be able to do that if you live in a country with such heavy censorship in the event of a conflict or some other incident involving your country? your authoritarian dictatorship of a country would cut you off from the rest of the world so their citizens wouldn’t be able to look at alternative sources of information or media to question their motives
it’s not as simple as you and others are making it out to be

3 Likes

Patreon is something one can opt out of, is it not? You do not have to keep paying if you feel unsatisfied with what you are receiving for your money :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

I’d look for VPN or alternatives made for the country I’m in. If Chinese people can do it with their Great Firewall, surely Azerbaijan people can do the same. Strictness of laws is thwarted by lack of necessity to follow them, to translate my favourite proverb.

Besides, despite horrible amount of sites being blocked in Russia, a simple VPN lets you access Twitter or Patreon with ease. I don’t think any big media figure here with a Twitter account has ever stopped using it after the block.

23 Likes

ok so this will end up going nowhere so i’ll just say this
if you’re not satisfied with the way she hasn’t been updating us on how she is doing or on her work, you can easily opt out of supporting her patreon

19 Likes

Sorry guys/girls this whole problem started because of my comment . I just loved the First Book and thought it had potential to be great. And VPN are just proxys if the whole internet connection is lost then VPN won’t work(VPN just change your IP address but in case of internet blockage in whole country there is no net) Anyways it’s worthless to argue among ourselves unless an update or some message comes. Let’s hope that the writer is OK. And the East European problems are solved soon.

17 Likes

No, payments are still being charged every month but I switched to $1 membership.

2 Likes

Is anybody in contact with her? Just to make sure, she’s fine?

5 Likes

Finally played the demo of the 2nd book and it was very interesting intrigue,plots everywhere.But the audacity of a guard to talk like that to king.It seems that I am not talking to a man from the feudal society but a man from modern society.And didn’t the guard perform some sort of oath to always protect the king.Are the people living in rhivenia just living there for money.No patriotism among them.The guard is not only disrespecting the king but also namherys.Disrespecting a god of a nation is a grave crime in which they followed from birth and also the god their ancestors were following.I noticed that the people of rhivenia has no loyality.And wth did Charles do all these years playing king.And I don’t know a single thing about the economy of rhivenia.Are they just living off the taxes. And that damn poison.Just where did it suddenly pop out from.If it was that dangerous shouldn’t the poison be famous.

18 Likes

The author mentioned she was revising for exams in December so maybe thats why we’ve not heard from her.

5 Likes

Seven months for revising is a hell of a long time

8 Likes