The Show Must Go On (On Hold Until Further Notice)

What is up, Drama Alert Nation? I am your host, Kill-Your-Meme-Star! Let’s get rooooooiiiggghhhtttt into the news!

So I decided to play around with ChoiceScript a bit and accidentally made the introduction to a non-existent game, so now I’m forcing myself to make it exist! The game is aptly named The Show Must Go On for how it begins, but it will most likely change drastically as I continue to write.
So all I have right now is the beginning and the gender and appearance choices. Also, I break the 4th wall in this game quite often, so you have been warned.

If you wanna see the result of 3 hours trying to figure out how to extract a file and about 2 hours of quality writing time, click here: https://dashingdon.com/play/l0g1c/the-show-must-go-on/mygame/index.php?cb=72685

Updates

9/13/2017: Prologue complete! Now all that is left is the entire game!

Bugs

Tell me if you find any bugs or typos or suggestions! I need as much help as I can get with this project. :sweat_smile:

Note

For mods and just the general public, I do not plan to have this published by CoG as it is my first game. Because of that, I will continue the game on this thread until the final line of code is finished. That being said, it will not be very impressive as I will not edit it for a “professional” finish. This is mainly just to prove to myself that I can code in ChoiceScript competently, nothing more. So, while you’re here, you might as well enjoy playing through the game and having a jolly good time with it!

16 Likes

Nice. I am really liking your writing.

I too like the MaYmAy

6ac996eba63befcc968edc3d9617f005a9a177165f025c473343029841771409

2 Likes

It was good. I’d love to see where you take this.

Nice start! Good work!

Some references to other 4th wall breakers would be a nice touch, plus more memes.

2 Likes

Hmmm, duly noted. I can be more memey if you guys would like, but I’d rather not put them in the actual game. XD

1 Like

It’s really good :sweat_smile::confused:
I don’t know if I can say anything just now but the writing is nice and funny

Update: I will be throwing up some new stuff onto the game soon, namely a plot. I expect to finish the next section by Friday, if my schedule doesn’t screw me over in particular. So yeah, be prepared for that. Also on that note, hopefully I’ll be able to do weekly updates once I get used to my schedule. But that’s not an absolute, so don’t be surprised if I wait a week or two to upgrade this shifty game of ours. Peace :v:t2:

8 Likes

Hey guys! The new update is up and ready for testing! Also, don’t hate me too much for how I ended the prologue please! Besides that, just tell me any bugs or corrections you’ve found. Thanks!

2 Likes

@L0G1C

what I found

This one is suggestion:

You can only imagine how much he would be worried about you…
Just kidding, you’re 14. You just don’t want to get grounded for sneaking out in the middle of the night.

I think it’s better for you to give player Choice whatever they feeling towards mc aunt/uncle, there might ones who feel guilty, not care about it, and feel “brave” like above.

• You nervously smile back to your gaurdian who is clearly not buying a word you say.

guardian

• Tell the truth. he’s finding out one way or another, and it’s best to stay on his good side.

he’s should be capitalized because it’s after dot

This error show up when I choose “Play again”

Anyone can just refresh though, but I just wanted to let you know.

Just wondering, are you plan to add Status​?

i think the mc’s whole family is a natural at acting :rofl: they so easily bawl their eyes out!

typo:
The hero kneels before the villain, powerless in the face of their great power

Thanks for the feedback! To answer your main question, yes, I will be adding stats after the prologue, which is what I’ve finished right now. Good idea for the player choice, I will keep that in mind. Also, thanks for the grammar corrections!

1 Like

I feel like a Jojo reference could be made but in this, but where.

1 Like

I instantly hate you for quoting one of the most annoying people of all time ever.

…On the upside, the prologue was fun! I really enjoyed the random humor. It reminded me a bit of Terry Pratchett. :blush:

Awww, come on! The internal irony was there and everything! “Kill-your-meme” refers to him as the meme, essentially translating to “This meme needs to die”. It’s the best written sentence I’ve ever typed!

Also, an update to the WIP, there are several directions I might take with this story as the prologue is the most vague piece of literature in human history, so I want y’all to vote on which you’d find the most interesting.

• mc becomes actor/actress (because why not, am I right?)
  • mc devotes their life to avenging their parents
  • mc struggles with life in early 1900s NYC (so life story with romance and career stuff and possibly politics)
  • possibly all 3?! (AKA death by coding for me)

0 voters

3 Likes

The avenging their parents bit kind of confuses me since I’m not really sure how their parents died at the theater. I’m picturing them both as actors who died tragically in a death-scene gone wrong kind of deal. Maybe someone switched a gun prop for a loaded gun or something went wrong during a hanging scene and they accidentally got hung. (Happens more often than you’d think.)

Either way, I think with a title called “The show must go on” and an intro that shows the child has a fascination with the theater after their parents were killed there, I think they’d have to end up on the stage at some point, whether as a genuine actor/actress or posing as an actor/actress whilst trying to discover the truth about how their parents died?

1 Like

it was a tragic scene everyone in the theater was bored…TO DEATH! :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, I just realized I left the death scene for chapter 1…wow I’m good at continuity. So yeah, the mc’s family is full of actors (not too famous, but quite well off). One night, while they performed a play, at the final scene, depending on which play you choose for them to perform, they either are crushed by falling lights which the police determine to be sabotaged, shot by someone in the crowd, or poisoned. I haven’t created the 3 plays yet, but one is a tragedy, one is a comedy, and the last is a musical. Although, since you mentioned it, I might have the second one be blanks in the gun chambers exchanged for real bullets. That could be more interesting. Thank you for the feedback though!

1 Like

I like how the majority chose death by coding. Thanks guys…

2 Likes

Does that mean your Our Mc’s Parents?
you kinda gave us the option and said it was death by coding, and didn’t expect us to choose it…:hugs:

1 Like