The Shadow Society (WIP) Writing Update on #1545

For future reference you can include a “blank” stats sheet, just to avoid the breakage. Choice
Script requires the stat sheet but you can use the work-around for special cases like this.

2 Likes

I would like one for M

4 Likes

I would like to vote for one for the others too! (especially G…) If you have the time of course <3

7 Likes

@furyleika HAHA I’m sorry about that!

@Eiwynn Ohh, I didn’t know you could do that. Thanks a lot! Will definitely keep it in mind :blush:

@GamesMaster and @Rindax I’m working on the one for M currently, though I’m afraid I won’t have time to make all of them right now; I got some stuff I need to finish for the release of the book, and I don’t want to completely drop the writing I’m doing for book 2 and another project I have to write these scenes since they take a bit of time to make. But I will do my best to complete M’s before the end of January at the very least! Sorry for the wait but thank you for showing enthusiasm :heart:

21 Likes

Played the demo, absolutely loved it, it’s very similar to the Wayhaven chornicles. Something that I’ve noticed is that some names in the stat section relationships are still described as unknown even though I’m at chapter six and pretty much know they’re identities already. Also I have the recurring issue of getting -1 rivalry with Rheyla.

1 Like

@Carawen You have been working really hard, just don’t be too harsh with yourself. Healthy body brings brilliant mind, after all.

5 Likes

30 days

1 Like

Hopefully. Those dates aren’t set in stone.

2 Likes

@MasterChief117John I’m really happy you liked it! I’m not sure what the issue with the stats page is, but I think it might be an outdated file; the one I’ve playtested in the full game works as it should :thinking: I’ll see if I can update it so that it works!

@MytheaMJ That’s true :sweat_smile: I appreciate you saying that. I have a tendency of taking on too much and feeling really guilty when I can’t go through with it, but I really do enjoy writing these shorts so I definitely want to finish them all in time. Thank you :heart:

And as @Baam said, it’s unfortunately not set in stone, especially as I’ve needed to fix some more stuff in preparation for the release. I hope everything is fine now and that the date will be in February, but we will have to wait and see :blush:

15 Likes

i love this game :sob:

2 Likes

Thank you so much :blush: :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for making - and sharing - it. :relaxed:

3 Likes

I tried to play the short story and it just hangs when I try to move past the floating scene no matter what choice I pick.

1 Like

@CANhugeverycat Yeaaah, I just addressed that on Tumblr and that’s a big mistake on my part :sweat_smile: those scenes you saw when starting up the Christmas special are all screenshots I gathered from the original story in preparation for the publication, and I accidentally uploaded them to the Christmas special when I was gonna test if they worked. They’re NOT part of the short and I’ve updated it so that they shouldn’t appear any longer! Really sorry about this stupid mistake!

@Taylor_Enean :heart:

3 Likes

I love this. Rheylo,is the best (Well all of your characters are great ) gonna have to re play it
I do like the direction of how characters comment on your attitude. But on character relationships it said unknown…i was clearly flirting with Rheylo.but it showed unknown ,anyway great work and when it’s out definitely gonna buy it

1 Like

Love the story so far- can’t wait to buy the full version- and for lack of figuring out how to become a beta tester for it (despite being so close to it’s potential release date), thought to post a few things I noticed:

Azuridian’s Route-
"Nice? Rheylo shakes his head again, this time so intensely that his hood threatens to fall off. “You have no idea what you’re talking about.” (Missing a ")
“To save you”, Azuridian sputters, turning around in his seat. The light blue eyes look at me like I’m vermin. “With you,we can accomplish much more than saving some lives.” (A space is needed between ‘you,we’ here)
“What is this place?” I ask her. “I was here before, in my dream, but… Why again?” I narrow my eyes in an inspecting manner. “And why are you here with me?” (Azur is male in this particular route, so ‘him’ not ‘her’)
I warily take a step back from him and look on as his’s body suddenly dissolves into black smoke. (The '‘s’ at the end of ‘his’ is not needed)
“What the pretentious one is trying to say is that we don’t know why your family has been paladins” (This just doesn’t seem quite right towards the end… if I may make a suggestion, though? try ‘What the pretentious one means, is- we don’t know why its always been members of your family turning out to be paladins’ ?)
“Neither does the organization”, Gwendolyn adds. “That kind of information is lost to history, it seems. But they do have lots of records of your ancestors, it seems.” (Two ‘it seems’ is unnecessary, it would be sensible to drop one of them)
He starts to fidget on the small braid that is draped over his shoulder, looking down on his feet. This is obviously a touchy subject for him. (Nothing wrong, but maybe try… ‘He starts fidgeting with the small braid draped over his shoulder, looking down at his feet. Whatever the reason, this is obviously a touchy subject for him.’)
“Your family has worked together with his organization for centuries”, Azuridian says. “Up until some years ago. It is rather obvious that he wants to rekindle the bond with the Sundworld that has been lost.” (Sunworld is misspelled, besides that, it might read better to edit it to… ‘Up until some years ago, your family had a worked with his organization for centuries.’ ‘It is blatantly obvious that he would like to rekindle this relationship with the Sunworld that had been lost.’)
I shake my head and let out a joyless laughter. “It’s just so much to take in at once.” (‘laugh’ instead of ‘laughter’)

Anyways, that’s about it for now… uh, if I see anything else I’ll edit this post?

1 Like

It’s getting close, @Carawen! :smile:
How does it feel to have your game published probably in less than a month?

2 Likes

@Idon_t_havaname Thank you so much :heart: The “character comment on attitude” element will be more prominent in book 2 and 3 if everything goes according to plan, as I figured it’d be strange to have them react to it before they know you very well :sweat_smile: and I’m not sure why that’s still an issue in the demo, that the characters show as “unknown”… sorry for that! Luckily it seems to work in the full game.

@Cryptic_Cupcake Aaah, thank you for going through all of this! Some of these might already be corrected through the process of the publication (I hope I caught them, otherwise I’ll likely make an update after the release to fix those mistakes), but I can’t remember if that’s the case :smile: the beta testing for book 1 was done long ago, but if you’re still interested in this series after reading book 1 and would like to sign up for becoming a beta tester for book 2, feel free to message me or write in the thread I’ll make for the book 2 demo! Thanks for taking so much interest in this project :blush:

@The_Lady_Luck It really is! I’m obviously very excited for it, but I’m also very nervous. I’m hoping the game will live up to people’s expectations of it, but at the same time I already feel more content with how the making of book 2 is going compared to the making of book 1. I wanted to write a post about some stuff regarding book 1 before the release actually, so I think I’ll take the opportunity to do that after this response :blush:

Oh, and I have a general question, if anyone feels like answering. Something I’m wondering about which I’ve seen other writers on this site do: should I take down the demo as the release is getting closer? I can see both pros and cons to doing this, but I’m not sure what would be best :thinking:

14 Likes

Tbh i would say yes. The biggest pro is that you don’t “spoil” the beginning. I really regret it reading the demo because now I have less from the finished product. But on the other hand it’s waaay too good to not play it already and read through every route. Well i guess this close to release won’t make big of a difference if you don’t take it down. But if you do I would just delete the link. Because deleting the thread would be very sad

1 Like

@Daedalucius Thank you so much :blush: and I wouldn’t even think of deleting the whole thread; if anything, I’d like to change it into a general discussion of book 1 when it’s released, so it can still be used for that. I’d only be deleting the link to the demo, in that case. I understand your points. There’s still gonna be a demo to play upon release which will probably be more polished (no more “unknown” errors for one, if my testing is correct), though it might also be a little shorter than what’s currently here.

1 Like