The Shadow Society (WIP) Writing Update on #1545

@Bizimo @mirikajana @EvilChani I’m actually planning for most of the relationships to become more official during book II, especially for more outgoing characters that it makes sense for. That doesn’t mean it’s gonna be an easy, though :slight_smile: and some are slower than others due to the personalities of the RO’s. The secret romances will also take more time to develop, since they start much later in book I than the others do.

24 Likes

How many books are there going to be? I forgot it.

1 Like

Three

1 Like

Hello. I know that Book One has already been submitted, but I did have some advice. I’m not sure how often this will come up in future games, but when choosing the romantic denial option for Azur at mansion (the first time you can talk to someone), he will grab your arm quite suddenly (and apparently forcefully). Regardless of the reason, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that some MCs would protest such an aggressive, sudden action. In the future, I would appreciate being given the option to protest such a thing. I know from G’s route that you have the option of saying you don’t like intimate touches - but that is not the case for my MC. He just doesn’t like sudden/forceful touch, and I’m sure there are MCs who are the same (for different reasons, of course). I do like your game overall and look forward to its release, however, I did want to give any sort of advice or feedback.

1 Like

A bit disappointing, since there are only three books, but it makes sense I suppose. Does that mean, for certain ROs that we will basically get no relationship at all until right at the end of book 3? Or at all for someone like R?

I was actually reading through your tumblr asks earlier this evening and realized I had read R all wrong. I figured he was the shy type to begin with, but would get more comfortable once he realized the MC wasn’t going anywhere and maybe stop being so insecure. Given the asks, I’m guessing that’s the wrong assumption since, deep in the romance, he’s still uncertain and not so much for the touching. Looks like it’s A for all of my MCs. Though maybe one of the can try out M, even though they may find him a bit too submissive and wussy (G is just too weird and Q gives me a child vibe and feels all kinds of wrong because of that).

It’s funny… one of the MCs I played the game with had the opposite reaction when A grabbed her. It turned her on. She like someone to butt heads with, and isn’t used to anyone doing anything like that to her since she’s pretty damned intimidating herself.

1 Like

@EvilChani I suppose that could be potential reaction too, just sort of hoping for options to both dislike it and like it to be implemented. Though, as I said, I’m not sure how often it will show up.

1 Like

@QuixquillianParadise Thank you so much for that feedback! It means a lot. I think you’re absolutely right and I will see if I can still add an option for that and send that file in. Thanks for bringing it up!

@EvilChani The reason that I don’t stray much from the ROs when it comes to personality at the start of the game when answering the Tumblr asks is because 1. The development has yet to be written and 2. I want people to experience it themselves rather than know about it in an ask. R will absolutely grow as a character and so will their receptiveness to a relationship with the MC and it will happen during book II if my plans turn out as they are in my notes. Also, fairly sure I’ve said it sometime (or perhaps I just think I have), but the three book limit of the series is an estimate. If I feel like I need to write more installations to develop the characters and plot I won’t hesitate to :slight_smile: hope that clears it up!

15 Likes

Thanks @Carawen! :slight_smile: It does help clear things up, and makes me feel a lot better about R as a RO! It’s also awesome that you aren’t limiting yourself to three books if you need more to develop the characters and plot. Characters are always the main thing that draws me into stories, so this is great news!

I’m also dying to see R loosen up some. Book II can’t come soon enough. :smiley:

Will you post something here when/if you decide to get your Patreon account going again? Once you get it going, I’d be happy to contribute. Or if you have a Kofi account (I just haven’t seen a link to a Kofi account for you or I’d have donated there). Thanks again for answering. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m mostly looking forward to the R/A triangle and just how red I can get R with how shy she is.

2 Likes

I didn’t even realize you could get a triangle until last week. I played through the demo, and had my MC flirting with A (more like refusing to acknowledge that she was attracted to him) and then flirting with R–OMG, A came in and was clearly pissed. I usually hate LTs (unneeded angst and all that), but this one may prove to be fun just to see A’s reactions.

I’m thinking of replaying the opposite way but don’t like the idea of upsetting R. Poor guy is an emotional rollercoaster as it is!

4 Likes

@EvilChani I’m glad it helped! Thank you so much for the faith you have in me and my writing :smiley:

In regards to a Patreon… I’d like to open one again with much more planned, structured and realistic rewards, since both me and the potential patrons would benefit from that, but my worries are that it will still take away too much time from writing the actual books like it did last time. I know some writers have polls as a tier reward, but I’d prefer not to let people vote on stuff that will happen in the story since I have a pretty clear idea already. That being said, if I ever open one again, I’ll definitely post about it here/in whatever thread of mine regarding the books that is active at that time! Thank you so much for asking, it’s incredibly kind of you to want to contribute in that way :heart:

Oh and I do have a ko-fi! Maybe I should actually put it somewhere :sweat_smile: here is the link: https://ko-fi.com/carawen

@QuixquillianParadise Just wanted to let you know that I added another choice for MC when A grips your wrist; to break away and stare them down, to break away and scold them, or to do nothing and give in. I hope that will feel a bit better for you when you play!

15 Likes

Oh, wow. Thank you for considering my feedback, and I eagerly await your game’s release.

1 Like

Don’t mind me, just finding the skip time to when TSS releases button.

4 Likes

Same haha

1 Like

I don’t think its a good idea either. You’re the author so the story should be yours and yours alone. I get that some people like to reward their Patreons by giving them more control over what happens and the direction it takes but, to me, that just kind of ruins the whole point of having someone, specifically dedicated to the craft, sharing their vision with others. It basically becomes a pseudo commission of sorts where your Patreons become your clients, telling you what to do, add, change, etc.

I don’t know… it just feels less genuine. Not to mention in my experience, games, books, etc, that pay too much heed to their followers (especially the rowdy ones) usually either end up mediocre or very niche. So long as you don’t feel pressured or intimidated to do as your followers say, it’s alright I suppose. Personally, if I was a writer and had a Patreon, I’d allow them to decide on smaller side-stories related to the main one, as a reward, but not the main project itself.

17 Likes

@IvoryOwl I agree with your points. Thanks for giving your thoughts on the matter! :blush: I am however very thankful when it comes to constructive criticism, and sometimes it’s a difficult balance to keep. Listening to people’s opinions and not being swayed in a way that might steer you from your vision, I mean. But for me, having a patreon structured that way would be a no-no.

On another note, I’m going to see if TSS could possibly be considered for Steam release as well. As far as I understand it, not every HG does since it’s costly, however.

18 Likes

I had no real idea what was happening the entire time, none of the characters explained anything, the only one who seemed at all willing to give me any useful information was the shadow man and there’s not exactly any way to talk to him because the lunatics who kidnapped me and the hobo I found squatting in my childhood home chased me down after I tried to escape them. And to top it off said escape attempt was the only thing even remotely similar to an actual choice in the entire game. 0/10 Tried hard to like it, but in the end everything about it was unenjoyable.

1 Like

@Luketheclone0 I appreciate your honest words on the demo! Different things cater to different people, though I have to stress the fact that it’s a demo, that shows only a portion of the game. And as this is an IF in the supernatural and mystery genre, I have aimed to keep up a sense of mystery throughout the game. You will get answers, but cramming it all into the beginning of the game is not a great way to go about storytelling imo.

About how it’s frustrating not knowing anything and feeling helpless in the MCs position I can understand. I’ve had more than one person comment on that they’d like the MC to be more assertive, which I’ve taken as valuable feedback and want to include for book II. However, as I didn’t get this angle until the game was submitted, it’s something I can’t change now without having to rewrite the entire game. Considering the plans I have for the story, it also did not feel plausible to have the MC be on top of everything and being told things left and right from the get-go. You are essentially in a hostage situation. I can see how that can put people off from playing the game, though, and I understand your point.

Book I is a way to get to know the world and slowly but surely for the MC to grow more accustomed to the setting and learning about it. In book II, since they possess the necessary information, they will be more free to navigate in it and know what they’re doing (provided you play that way). If you want a game where you can make a lot of use of stats and have a very competent MC right from the start, I’m afraid this isn’t it. It’s rather a successive change/growth of the MC and characters surrounding them.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy it, but I hope you can find other games that suit your tastes better! :slight_smile:

22 Likes

This book/game is my first time trying books/games like that and I have to say it’s awesome! Can’t wait for the full release, I hope you keep being so creative and wish you all the good luck with it. If I can give my impressions, I think that hiding information about the world until later is a brilliant move as it generates hype, and saves the best things from being used right away. I played the demo one time so far so I can’t really talk about different paths, but I’m looking forward to playing it at least several times when you release all the books. Keep doing what you’re doing and don’t let anyone tell you it’s wrong as it’s your own story and if someone doesn’t like it it’s their problem.

9 Likes

Just discovered this, very much anticipating the final version. The mystery has really hooked me.

1 Like