The Shadow Society (WIP) Writing Update on #1545

@resuri08 and @CalcuttaCalling, thank you both for your inputs! I really appreciate your advice, both of you :slight_smile: You both make valid points. This whole “marketing” aspect is really new to me - before this I’ve only concentrated on writing without regards to anyone else, after all - so I’m still learning. But the reason I wanted to make an extended demo is because I myself felt like I didn’t provide enough of the world and characters, so with that in mind, I’m not at all surprised there isn’t much buzz here as of this moment. The current demo pretty much just shows you a premise, lets you see what kind of personality choices will be presented and introduces the characters. There is little to nothing about the world, and no deeper scenes with the characters, and that was a mistake on my part I feel like. I’m the kind of reader who likes to go into a story blind, but I should’ve realized that isn’t the case for many others, which is why I’ve decided to put together character sheets with info (no real spoilers, though) about all the characters, as well as more insight into the world (again, without major spoilers). I was mostly focused on doing the character info and stuff over at tumblr, but I don’t think it hurts to post that kind of content here, since not everyone even has a tumblr to begin with. I’m not going to post the same stuff here as on tumblr, though, but will combine some of the questions asked there and the responses to them in a document if anyone here is interested to know more about the RO’s in particular.

You don’t have to worry about me rushing this project, though; I’m far too passionate about it to rush it for the sake of getting it out, and far too proud as a writer haha.

And please don’t apologize, @CalcuttaCalling, your advice is extremely appreciated and I think you’re absolutely right about me giving more of the world to the readers through FAQs and whatnot. If people here care about it or not is up to them of course, but either way I will finish the extended demo/additional info/whole book as intended :blush:

Thanks @resuri08, and don’t worry about the off topic posts; I feel like I got so much insight from reading your comments :wink:

@Eric_knight Thank you so much for trying out the demo! I’m so happy you like Michaela; I was afriad M would be kind of overlooked due to their humanity :laughing: And I don’t know much about American football, but are there really no female teams? Well, in this world there are haha. And you’re correct that there are four supernatural LI’s with one human, along with two more hidden ones that will be introduced later :slight_smile: As @Hearts said, the football I’m referring to is American football, and as @Orchid stated, M’s position on the team is stated if you choose the fangirl/fanboy option when introduced :smile:

7 Likes

None that actually get funding, but there is a league. None of that lingerie stuff either, but real stuff. Of course in my area they rely on each individual player getting sponsored by a fan or two and the league relies on the generosity of donors to fund the league.

It’s actually awesome to see how hard the girls work for how little they get paid (they don’t). They put most NFL players to shame with their work ethic.

6 Likes

don’t know if it was pointed out before, but there is problem with A’s name when you choose “you’re not human? awesome” reaction

2 Likes

This story sounds very promising, and I really liked the demo so far - the way you write character interactions is delightful to read, and even though we haven’t seen much of them yet, all ROs feel already very interesting and fleshed out. Even in such a short time I already got quite attached to them, so you clearly know what you are doing, heh. :grinning: I’m not usually that big fan of characters like M and G, but your writing style made me really like them as well.

When it comes to the MC, there was already great variety of choices. My favorite so far was probably trying to repeat A’s bow and failing. :grin: I can’t wait to see more, good luck with this project!

2 Likes

@Lycanthromorphic Huh, I see. It sucks that they don’t get the same recognition as the male teams :confused: it’s truly inspiring to hear how much they work for what they love, though.
Thanks for filling me in!

@mahariel No, it hasn’t - thank you so much! I’ve fixed the mistake :blush:

@Raakettu Thank you so much! I can’t tell you what a big compliment it is to read that you like the characters, even the ones you didn’t expect to like :smile:

I really enjoy writing those awkward scenes haha! Glad you like it!

By the way, I have completely forgotten to ask people before, but I’d like to hear your opinions on the flirt options. I know only M is available as a flirt option at this point in the story, but using that scene as an example, do you think the various options work/sound good? Anything that’s off, missing or should be improved?
To say I’m unused to writing romance would be an understatement, so I’d love some feedback!

13 Likes

I think the options are ok, I did think the other characters were going to give looks or say something when picking the option where M gets close to the MC’s ear

2 Likes

One of the reasons I like this WiP is because of your writing style and that applies to everything I read. If something felt off, ie like my comment earlier about the pronoun issue, I would have already made it clear in a post. So personally I see no reason to change your current approach. Again like several others have said, I really enjoy the character interaction as written.

9 Likes

I like a lot the different reaction types, particularly the flirt options. In most of the games i played it doesnt matter if ur trying to bulid to some shy or stoic like character, coz when u flirt u will magically became some kind of seducer. Its boring and immersion breaking.
I think its a bit early to complain, also i liked what i read, so keep it up.

:fox_face:

6 Likes

Thanks everyone for your input concerning the flirt options. I agree with @Hearts that it’s probably a bit early to ask for feedback on that; there will be a lot more in the extended demo, after all.

Speaking of which, I took a break from writing scenes and put together a document that is a bit of a teaser for the extended demo; it contains an old letter from an unknown author, character profiles, a diary sneak peak and a FAQ that I’ve only begun to build with some of the questions I’ve received the most so far!

If you’re interested in knowing more about this world and characters, please give it a read:

Have a nice night everyone :blush:

24 Likes

(Adorable interactions, I give you an award).

Aww, this was lovely to read. I think it’s helpful, and it would be cool if you did something like update it as you go, or add on to it gradually (as you release more).

1 Like

Haha thank you! It was so much fun to do, and a much needed break from the constant coding :blush: Since this contains new info I will post it on my tumblr as well in case someone over there isn’t as active here.

(It’s a first try at a collective diary; most of them aren’t exactly thrilled about it lmao)

Yes, that’s what I intend to do! I plan to update it as I go, and even more after the extended demo since more will have been revealed then. Thank you so much :blush:

5 Likes

Love triangle with R and A? Looks like our MC dearest is not exactly the brightest of the lot. But thinking about the tension, the angst and the turmoil it would generate…uh, I smell blood. Nothing wrong with a bit of internal hemorrhage, I like it.
That said, the document was… interesting. Thanks for putting in this much work.

4 Likes

I am thinking the romance interaction should be related on how MC react to his/her LI in the first place…for example, i believe it is logical that MC will flirt with Michaela ( with M reacting what you describe in the flirt scene) when MC didn’t chose to consider M is a rival … MC did spit in front of Michaela , so i don’t think it is logical for MC to flirt with her after that , perhaps the flirt option should be grey out if MC chose to become her rival ?

I think if MC choose to romance M in a rival manner , their romantic interaction could be sort of rival-mance instead of the common cosy manner :slight_smile:

Perhaps there could be different romance scene to describe their rival-mance ? this can be done in the same manner like @JimD 's ZE; Safe Haven , in one scene the Driver had killed Lyle before the protagonist went to the school, thus the resulting occurrence is different …where Jillian (Lyle’s friend) killed driver instead of allowing Protagonist to recruit driver… In such case, it can avoid readers from complaining no matter what was their previous choice, the outcome will be similar :slight_smile:

I can make an example here…like when MC is accompanying Michaela to her locker room wearing her rival’s jersey , the reception from her team mates should be hostile instead of welcoming my MC for dating Michaela :smile:

That is an excellent idea that can make this game wonderful and unique … i am looking forward to do that , nothing is more intriguing than split loyalty during match day :wink:

@AmericanShakespeare I don’t think Love Triangle is fair to Michaela , they can just make her disappear and tell us M had an "accident " :smile:

5 Likes

Q seems so ~mysterious~

G likes Cigarettes and R doesn’t like that? I didn’t expect it! I thought R would be a typical Rebel but no! They’re just so sweet (pun! Ywah!)

Group Diary was funny, at least A and R agree that cigarettes suck. I guess the love triangle will really be brutal!

4 Likes

Beautifully done. Wow, i could easily throw down 10 bucks for this. Its a good story keep it up!

3 Likes

It wont be healthy for them as I’d fight them with my new relatives

2 Likes

I forgot who, but one of the supernatural is quite sensitive to human emotion , she should the kindest of them all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I knew I liked Q for a reason.

3 Likes

Yeah, sure. Its going to be pretty fun. Particularly the part where they beat u up. :wink:

Who is who again? It takes me some time to remember names…
So…

crazy- M
White
tsundere hood
pink eyes
redhead with the bondage thing

someone name them for me. (Im lazy, i dont want to play again, also i already played all of them and i would forget again anyway).

if i had to choose i would say im mostly waiting for M, R, and Q.
First two → i find them interesting,
Q → I want to know more .

:fox_face:

PS: grateful for your assistance :arrow_down:

4 Likes

There done it…

8 Likes