The Shadow Society General Discussion Thread CANCELLED. Cancellation update on #246

I don’t, It was a bit of a shock that G entered :scream: but I think it works with G’s character. Besides, there are a lot of options to react against it. So, I wouldn’t say that the scene was anticlimatic, at least no for me. :smile:

5 Likes

yeah, I don’t think that scene was supposed to be ‘Intimate or steamy’’ .

Homewhever, the best part is if you pick the ‘‘Shyly’’ reply…(and I’m eyeballing you here @Carawen cose that was TOTAL Trap!!!) and she call the MC a perv! and I’m like…LOOK WHO IS TALKING!!! :smile:

3 Likes

I want to say thank you everyone who left messages and comment about this. I didn’t want to needlessly make a big deal out of this, but it felt best to address it in some form. Again, thank you for the feedback and support :heart:

I’m still working on the update, though it also seems like some people are experiencing game breaking bugs for chapters that I haven’t updated. I don’t know why this is, but if you are experiencing these errors, please send an e-mail to: support@hostedgames.org. Screenshots of the errors you see helps a lot, if you’re able to provide that.

@SarcasticWitchT There will be something called rival romance in the second game, but you can only go that route if you have gathered at least 10% rivalry with someone in the first game. It won’t play out like the ones in Dragon Age 2, though: while in DA 2 you can rival-romance someone if you disagree with them enough, you can still romance someone normally in TSS while disagreeing with them. As for your second comment, you won’t find the shadow in chapter 14, but I’m currently working on adding a scene with them for chapter 15.

@jcury It’s nothing to worry about, you have a right to say what you think. I hope you understand that my words wasn’t directed to you in particular though. And I didn’t get any e-mail about that; could you show a screenshot of the error? I’m not sure if it’s the same error as others have gotten or not :slightly_smiling_face:

@Jordan_Kelley Thank you, I will make sure to correct that!

@LizTheBean I’m glad you noticed the differing scenes! It’s difficult to determine how much one should branch the scenes sometimes. I’m currently writing an additional scene for chapter 15 which differs based on romance/friendship etc.and it’s a lot to write, but in one playthrough you’ll only get to see one part of it. But it’s something I will keep in mind for the continuation of the series, to try and keep a balance between branching and linear so it doesn’t feel like the story is too short but still gives something extra!

@Mutantbeth What @Bae_Junhong said, though there’s actually three scenes where you can choose romantic options with someone. The third one (in chapter 7) also has jealousy reactions, though it’s a bit shorther than the others. I’m planning on adding another relationship scene to chapter 9, though I’m not sure if I’ll include jealousy for that one. It’s just a lot of work :sweat_smile: as for rivalry; pick the meanest option you can find on the one-on-one interactions. The rival romance isn’t in book 1, though, nor is the friend-romance.

@SnowPhoniex Sorry that it’s been confusing; I hope that the additional info I’ve added in chapter 6, 7 and 13 so far helps a little in understanding it better, but I understand it’s confusing nonetheless. As for A’s motivations, it’s not something you’ll learn about in the first book. They’re very tight-lipped about that, because they don’t trust anyone. They’re also kind of used to people bowing down to them, which is a serious flaw they have and something that makes them underestimate others at times.
If you grow close to them over the course of the books they’ll definitely change in that regard, though :slightly_smiling_face:

23 Likes

(Sorry, had a lot to respond to, so had to make two posts!)

@blob Thank you so much! And yes - the stats aren’t included a whole lot in this game. I focused a lot more on relationships, responses and such that the stats kind of took a backseat, but it’s something I’m aiming to include a lot more in the second game. Not to make it a stat-reliant game, but to give more chances to use them :slightly_smiling_face:

You’ll get more chances to develop friendships with other characters throughout the other books as well. But the “generally friendly with everyone” doesn’t register a particular romance in book 1, so if you want to have romance + friendships for the future, I’d suggest choosing someone to romance now and take the opportunities presented later to be friendly to the characters!

@Mutantbeth Could you send the error to support@hostedgames.org? It might be the same as others have reported, but it’d help a bunch if you could provide a screenshot/describe it, so that I know what to look out for. Thank you!

@MoSalahscores Without spoiling too much,the reason that the Shadowman or Jealene may hint at them being like that is due to their own biased opinion on the matter/lack of knowledge about them. It doesn’t necessarily reflect the truth of the matter. But it’s something that will be featured more in later books, especially if Q is alive.

And thank you for the review! You’re right that some characters are a lot more open than others (ex. R and the Shadowman are usually more open than A or G), but I don’t recall making it so that you have to have a high relationship with anyone to get information from them. For example, in chapter 6 R will tell you what they know regardless of their opinion about you, simply because they think you deserve to know.

@Jender I’m glad you think so - the update isn’t completely finished yet, but I decided to add what I had so far to make things a bit clearer in general!

@Ray I’m sorry, what little time I’ve had the past couple of days I’ve focused on the game breaking bugs, so this one in particular hasn’t been updated. But it’s an easy fix, so I will send it in as soon as I can and I’ll update this thread when I have done so. Sorry for the inconvenience!

@UnoriginalUserName I do, lol! I wanted to add something extra there as well with the update, but though the talk with Yvran and Cercha which I added to that chapter recently was supposed to be only for that path, I felt it was too important and decided to include it for both. I’m still planning to add something there after everything else is done, though!

17 Likes

Hello. I went the Azuridia romance route, played a shy and awkward character, and had about 30 romance, 11 friendship, -1 rivalry, a really good setup for romance. Boy, How did that go south very fast with one dialogue option… During the banquet at The Shadowman’s mansion, he gives freedom to ask some questions regarding things. I asked him if he had a wife, and oh boy did that get interpreted wrong… i asked because i wanted to know more about the lore, about azuridias mother, but the game thought i was vying for a position as a romantic partner to the ShadowMan. Azuridia absolutely hated that thought. My stats became -23 friendship, romance 30, and rivalry 23… Boy did that turn sour?. I basicallly bid goodbye to any romantic scene with her at all…I think its a normal question and it doesnt imply romantic interest at all… I ask that these penalties be removed or a (romance) tag be put before the question so that i know its going to affect my romance. `

2 Likes

well I’m not a native english speaker. But (Someone correct me) usually if you ask someone ‘‘Are you single Sir/Madame?’’ that imply are you free. If you want to know if someone has a wife/husband, and in the setting of this story. Sitting at a fancy table, with protocole of who sit where. The question would be ‘‘Is there a Mrs evil duchess?’’ .

At least, that’s how I saw it. So I didn’t touch that option…since someone would probably stab me…or freeze me on the spot :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Another question, does killing M has much of an negative impact on the romance with the other characters apart from Q? Because I glanced at the character stats after doing it while romancing R and I saw that our rivalry increased quite a bit. With Q it didn’t, didn’t see the effect on the others.

1 Like

I was trying to romance R @ the time so I guess I thought that was a benefit :grin:

Hi, I’m not sure if this is where I come for this but I’m having a bug. It might be on my end, might be in the code, I’m not really sure. I just paid for the full version of the game and upon trying to continue I’m shown these two errors:

Anyone know what to do?

1 Like

@KILLSWITCH12314

A few posts up, it says:

“…but if you are experiencing errors, please send an e-mail to: support@hostedgames.org” Screenshots like this really help.

2 Likes

This is really quite excellent. I’ve played through all of the character routes now and I’m very fond of the writing. It helps that the PC themselves has quite a bit of variation personality wise.

1 Like

Thank you! I was in class so I didn’t really have time to search for the proper channel :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Many people already pointed out story’s flaws so I’ll just concentrate on good things.

Gender flip for ROs works very well. I’ve seen quite a few games with gender flippable characters where only one gender actually works so as you read it’s obvious said character was clearly intended to be female. In your game however everything just flows smoothly both ways.

I also like that MC can be an ass if player so desires and do evil stuff. In Wayhaven (as some people brought it up for comparison) we have to be a good guy in the end of the day. That’s rather limiting in my opinion and so I like TSS more.

I also have a question: how old is everyone? I can’t help but imagine them as teenagers for whatever reason. They sorta act like teenagers. Or is it just me?

11 Likes

@leo-leo Hmmm… I think they read late 20s-ish (A.reads a bit older than that to me, anyway)…esp w Micheal being a local celeb/semi.pro sports dude (not to mention how old he’d need.to be for his other job)

The only one who seems like a teen is maybe Q, but I think that is mostly the whole innocence/we never get to hear this thoughts on anything. This is my opinion, but i feel like there was something on Tumblr about them being late 20s?

5 Likes

Headcanon away! (I love it when writers do that :heart:)

8 Likes

please, please tell me you can romance shadowman in both book one and two. because, oh boy, he’s attractive as hell.

azur? I played his route first with a shy mc and dear lord, the piano scene almost made me cry.
the characters are all so unique and well written it seriously made me emotional, haven’t read something this amazing in so long. and the mc, there are so many options! my fav is of course the shy path, but the interactions and reactions to every type had me shocked. this is def my new most favorite book.

8 Likes

The writer said that you can romance the shadowman in book 2.

5 Likes

Hmm, cultural differences indeed. I guess every language has its own particularities, and sometimes a direct translation wont work. Where i come from, “are you single?” doesnt imply romantic interests, by direct translation. But if you say every language has its own particularities, i can totally understand that. But, im sure youd agree (romance) before the dialogue would help a lot bridge these cultural differences or what you call it before someone ruins their playthrough. I think theres tons of other cyoa games that actually do that.

4 Likes

That fall on the author choice to add such a thing or not. The base players, are often divided on the notions of adding tags like that.

in this case a ‘‘Flirt’’ Are you single? . Some peoples would be fine with it, others would find it immersion breaking.

In the end, it’s up to the author to inlcude it or not. It’s their games after all.

4 Likes

I can certainly see both sides of the argument but also feel that if you weren’t romantically interested in someone - why would you care whether or not they were single? It’s sort of none of your business, unless you were maybe wanting to date them…right? I mean I guess you could be just playing a nosy MC which is cool…but as proper as A is, I feel that he would get angry/feel rivalry whether or not you intended it flirtatiously. He rolls his eyes/gets annoyed by nearly all of your comments to the Shadowman regardless of intent, so I am not sure his reaction would vary much in either sense of the question? Also it seems like just asking Shadowman such a personal question would upset A not only because he would find it offensive, manners-wise but because he is likely frightened that you might switch sides on him? He hasn’t really told you much about your situation afterall… you really could jump ship at any moment - you JUST met these folks.

Anyway. Just my opinion HAPPY FAT TUESDAY!

13 Likes