The Shadow Society General Discussion Thread CANCELLED. Cancellation update on #246

It can be asked, to know if your romance choice (A and her sibling) have a mother. I mean imagine, ok so this dude is evil. But maybe their mother wasn’t ? Could be locked somewhere in the chateau ? If he wanted to kill me, he would’ve done so…so no harm in asking him right ?

That is just one exemple. of course .

Not telling you, kinda cancel the fear factor. If they were capable of being afraid of you running away, or siding with the Illusive man, they would’ve taken more precaution or told you things from the get go. A doesn’t come off as someone who know fears, that’s how this whole rebellion probably started .

B-but…my diet!!! :smile: kidding!

2 Likes

In the case of asking Mr Badguydude if he’s single, my character would do so just to mess with him, having no interest in the answer whatsoever as her interest is sub-zero. :grin:

…and also partly, if I could, imply that ‘of course you’re single, who’d want to be with you?’ because that is her attitude towards him. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now comes the long wait for next episode! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Politics Thread

Did you mean to post this in a different thread? It doesn’t seem to be about The Shadow Society?

Can we expect the next book this year? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi,

As per forums rules, we don’t ask when a sequel comes out since this will cause pressure to the author. Kindly bear in mind that most authors here do this as a side project and for fun.

8 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t intend to pressure anyone.

3 Likes

So I wanted to do another playthrough but I am afraid to lose the ending I got. In the next one is there going to be a part where you select your choices? Like who you romanced, etc?

When the second part is released choice of games will incorporate a save system so your choices can be carried on to the second part. There will also be an option to make selections for those who don’t own the first volume or want to start from scratch, tho generally there are greater benefits to continuing from a save.

1 Like

So does that mean I cannot play it again to experience other endings?

I’m afraid you misunderstood. As long as you own the game, you will always be able to replay it. It is simply that when a sequel is released, there will be an option at the beginning to quickly recap the choices made in the previous game if you don’t transfer a save file from the first game over. This feature will have no bearing on whether or not you can replay the first game and experience its multiple endings.

5 Likes

I’m kinda late to this discussion, but I must say that the book was good. I loved the characters and the many options we have to interact with them.

The thing that bothers me is the plot. I dunno, but halfway through the latter part of the story I just… lost interest? Like, suddenly there were so many alien politics and metaphysical explanations thrown at me that I couldn’t keep up. The only thing that kept me going was the characters (good gods I love Q and J! They are such unique ROs).

As for the other ROs… Err, well, I think they kinda act in a very stereotypical way. Like one is proud and haughty, the other one is just sardonic and whiny. Some of their dialogues make them seem very childish that it kinda ruined their impression as romancable adults for me.

Either way, it was quite a good read. Kudos to the writer~

3 Likes

I got numbers for relationship stats in the 40’s to high 50’s depending on the character.
I swear, though in one playthrough I did get the kiss that was previously mentioned as a non-existent situation to get.
Must now replay for the 47th time to be sure!
And I love this game. Some of the personality stats do not show anything to go by- there’s the bar. It moves because of choices, and it’s not just this game, but so, so many that I think it’s a choicescriot error?
I understand not to pressure the author for a timeline.
But OMG IT HURTS! Ahem. Sometimes it’s 5 years between 1st and last book. That’s… I mean, how could we, the fans, support the authors more?

2 Likes

got this game a few days ago on steam and loved it from the start. It somehow reminds me “Wayhaven” which is my favorite cog/hosted game really great job with this one. Too bad we’ll have to wait so long for book 2 as first one was just released

3 Likes

It reminded me of Wayhaven, more because of the resemblance to Otome games, with 4 hotties each with a unique personality to choose from and a triangle option. Also it’s similar in said hotties showing up and suddenly thrusting you into a world where other beings also exist.
I LOVE Wayhaven, and I’m LOVING The Shadow Society, but I do think this author has made incredibly detailed interactions and very well fleshed out characters, and (given this is part 1) very meaningful choices! I played TSS all the way from Charlotte to Seattle, a 5 1/2 hour flight, trying different options and the time flew by! (Pardon the pun!)

8 Likes

Hello! I’m almost done with the update for chapter 15, will hopefully have it done by the end of the week or at the start of next week :blush: I’ve also considered adding a second ending, but I will have to outline book 2 more before making that decision. Thanks for being patient!

@cglassworm23 Yeaah, I can understand what you mean with that. I didn’t think about it that way when I wrote it, but for some the intention I had with that question can definitely be misunderstood. I’ll try to phrase it in a more clear way, and also add an option to ask about A and R’s mothers without being suggestive in any way. Thanks for bringing it up!

@UnoriginalUserName G will not care if you kill M, and neither will A. R does care quite a bit because they’re a lot more feeling and sympathetic than A and G are, in general. As for Q…they’re not really in a position to be upset about it, all things considered, but when it’s brought up in the second game their opinion on it might depend on your reasoning for killing M and how you are feeling about it now.

@KILLSWITCH12314 Hi, I saw that error being brought up a bit, it’s not something that seems to be a coding error so I’m not sure what I could do about it. I really hope it’s fixed now, though!

@The_Eski Thank you so much, I’m happy you enjoyed it!

@leo-leo I’m glad those things work. I’m definitely going to take those things with me to book 2, while also making sure that some of the weaker parts of book 1 like the pacing ex. won’t be repeated :blush:
The shadow beings are quite old, though if I recall correctly I think only R specifies their true age if you ask them (in chapter 6 in the new update). This doesn’t mean that they’ve all had human forms for as long as that life span, though, so their attitudes can be tied to a couple of things: 1. Personality (of course) 2. How long they’ve been a ‘human-shadow’, and not just a shadow being, and 3. The circumstances they are in (ex. G likes to give off a much more chipper attitude even though they’re really not that cheery or lively on the inside, because they want to give off a certain impression). I hope that didn’t sound confusing :sweat_smile: but if you have more questions about it feel free to ask of course.

@mononym Ahh, that makes me so happy to hear! For all of the shortcomings I’m keenly aware this first book unfortunately has, I did take care to craft the characters in what I hoped would be something complex and feel well-rounded. It means a lot whenever that comes across :blush: And oh yes, you can romance the lord throughout book two, and very faintly flirt with him in book one! I plan for his and J’s romances/friendships to be very present throughout book two and three :slight_smile:

@Ellvis I don’t mind these kind of questions, I’m just happy you enjoyed it enough to look forward to the next one (even if that rule should be kept in mind for other authors, of course)! I wouldn’t be able to write the second book in such a short amount of time without rushing it, and I’m being very, very careful not to rush things this time. Besides, book 2 will probably have some more branching at certain points in the story than book 1 has if everything goes as planned, so sadly I can’t say when it’ll be done. I’m not going to stop working on it for as long as I’m able though, that much I can say :blush:

@felz Thanks a lot for your input. Your point about the plot I’ve heard before and is something I was aware of, so I’m making sure not to rush that for book 2. I’m already very happy with it so far, in a way I wasn’t with book 1, so I’m optimistic about it :blush: thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I’m glad you liked the characters!

@Elbertina I’m happy you like it! I’m not sure what you mean about the personality bar? It moves to one side or the other depending on certain choices; on the right side you might have “nice”, on the left you might have “mean”, and the percentage moves according to that to confirm what kind of character you’re playing. Does that clear it up or did I completely misunderstand your question? If so, my mistake :sweat_smile: And I’m really happy you like the characters and that you replayed it so much! I hope you’ll like the future content as well!

@MariaVZolotova Thank you for sharing your opinion, I’m glad you enjoyed it!

26 Likes

Oh, you’re already writing book 2? Then I’ll be rooting with all I am! And thank you for also being an open-minded author who takes time to read and reply to community members’ posts.

I’m very thrilled to see where this could go, especially with a cast as interesting as this.

8 Likes

Here’s the stats bars I was mentioning. Like I’m getting good, or bad, and some stat, but it’s not labeled so I have NO idea what I’m I’m supposed to increase or work with.

1 Like

I found this game the other day and have been glued to my phone ever since re-reading it over and over.
As someone who’s been playing with the RO’s as male I had no idea that they all had female counterparts whfrksdfs however there are portions later in the chapters where A and R are referred to as sisters even if they’re both male, wasn’t sure if thats a slip up in the text but it was a little confusing at first.
Still I love the story so much and I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for part two.

A question though, when the next part comes out if we paid for the first part will it be added onto the main story or will we have to pay for it again? I’ve looked through the forum to find an answer but I’m not entirely sure if it’s been answered yet or not!

1 Like

If by part 2 you mean the second game then yes, you’ll have to buy it separately when it comes out, which will take more than a while I suppose.